Great Lakes/Great Rivers Section Hears Three Technical Papers During Fall Meeting In Ann Arbor
The Great Lakes and Great Rivers Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers convened its fall meeting at the Ann Arbor Inn in Ann Arbor, Mich. A record turnout for the Section of 266 participants made the occasion a very lively one.
Many of the registrants were students in the Department of Naval Architecture at the University of Michigan, also located in Ann Arbor. Since the Section recently adopted plans for a student section, it was particularly gratifying to see so many of them in attendance.
Three papers were presented during the technical session, as follows: "Comparisons of Calculation Procedures with Model Test and Full Scale Vibration Data of the M/V Roger Blough," by Dr.
William S. Vorus and Messrs. S.G. Stiansen and Ralph H. Bertz.
The second paper dealt with "Procedures for Diesel Exhaust Energy Actualization Aboard Great Lakes Bulk Carriers," by John B. Woodward III.
The last paper, which created a great deal of interest, was a presentation by U.S. Coast Guard Capt. J.A. Wilson and Comdr. C.L.
Loosmore on their findings from the Board of Inquiry, and was entitled "Analysis of the Loss of the Edmund Fitzgerald." At this time during the session, David A.
Groh, speaking on behalf of Lake Carriers' Association, pointed out the industry's position, which rejects the board's findings, and suggests another method for the analysis which resulted in a different conclusion.
Spirited discussion ensued, but little new ground was covered or any conclusions reached.
Following a luncheon, the various tours were available for member participation to the towing tank maneuvering facilities, and so forth, on the University campus. The next scheduled meeting of the Section has been set for January 19, 1978, at the Bond Court Hotel, Cleveland, Ohio.
Other stories from December 1977 issue
- Mar Ad Approves Sale Of Tuna Boats To Foreign Companies page: 4
- Eisenbiegler And Rippy Named Presidents Of Two Sun Subsidiaries page: 6
- James S. Byrn Named President Genstar Marine page: 7
- MarAd Contract Let For Development Of Standardized Carrier page: 7
- Bethlehem Steel Sparrows Point Lays Keel For $78-Million Farrell Lines Containership page: 8
- Navy Commissions Ninth Of 30 Destroyers Being Built By Ingalls Shipbuilding page: 8
- SNAME Completes Boiler Safety Report page: 10
- Raytheon Names Millard Commercial Marine Marketing Manager page: 10
- Charles Murphy Receives Halert C. Shepheard Award For Merchant Marine Safety page: 13
- Program Outlined For Annual Conference On Marine Coatings page: 14
- State Boat Awards Contract To Blount For Offshore Supply Boats page: 15
- MarAd Releases Two-Volume Report Prepared By DeLaval page: 15
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Hears Paper On New Flexible Shipbuilding And Ship Repair Facility page: 16
- ARCTEC Canada Limited Opens Testing Facility And Ice Towing Basin page: 17
- Marine Equipment Suppliers Apply For Title XI To Build Self-Propelled Pipelay Ship page: 18
- Strict Liability And Its Impact On Marine Field Discussed By SNAME No. Calif. Section page: 18
- SNAME Pacific Northwest Section Holds Annual Meeting At Harrison Hot Springs, B.C. page: 20
- New Single Point Monitoring Salinity Control System page: 20
- Worthington Announces Management Positions In Marketing And Sales page: 21
- Rapifax Supplies U.S. Lines With Shipping Industry's First High-Speed Facsimile System page: 22
- Mississippi Marine Begins Offshore Boat Construction page: 23
- Series Production Of Aluminum LNG Spheres page: 24
- ICHCA Conference Set For Helsinki May 26-June 1, 1979 page: 26
- Comet Marine Named Marine Distributor By Crane Packing page: 26
- Oceangoing Towing Guidelines Issued By Det Norske Veritas page: 28
- Bird-Johnson Names Darby Sales Engineer For The Gulf Coast page: 28
- Perko Full Line Catalog Just Released page: 29
- Frankel Elected President Of IMODCO page: 30
- CADCOM, Inc. Appoints F. William Helming page: 30
- Seatrain Shipbuilding Appoints Hellenbrecht Chief Marine Engineer page: 31
- ASNE Reports Details Of Recent Symposium On Combat Systems page: 38
- Combustion Engineering Names Robert Fortier page: 38
- Tenneco's Newport News Industrial Corp. (NNI) Appoints M.R. Eshelman page: 41
- Southeast Shipyard Association Elects Fitzgerald President page: 41
- Belcher Tugs To Use Burmeister & Wain Slow Speed Diesels page: 42
- Three Papers Presented At SNAME California Sections Annual Joint Meeting page: 43
- UNITOR Ships Service Holds Dedication Ceremony To Mark Opening Of Facilities In New Jersey page: 44
- Magnus Maritec Names Three To Sales Posts page: 44
- Zapata In Joint Fishing Venture In Costa Rica page: 45
- Sun Ship Forms New Estimating Department —Brawner Named Manager page: 46
- Barney Evans Opens Public Relations Firm page: 47
- Thistle Field Drilling Started By Santa Fe page: 47
- IMODCO Wins Petrobras Contract To Install SPM At Record Depth page: 47
- Second Generation LNG Carriers Subject Of Paper Presented At ASNE Pascagoula Section Meeting page: 49
- Great Lakes/Great Rivers Section Hears Three Technical Papers During Fall Meeting In Ann Arbor page: 52
- Union Mechling's Application For Aid To Build 58 Barges Approved In Principle By MarAd page: 52