Rauma-Repola To Build Two RO/RO Vessels For Finncarriers
Rauma-Repola's Rauma Shipyard in Finland has entered into a contract with Finland Steamship Company and Merivienti OY of Helsinki for construction of two 12,000-dwt, R O / R O cargo vessels. The ships will enter regular service between Finland and the United Kingdom in 1982. This service is a joint operation between Finland S t e a m s h i p and Finnlines Ltd., and is marketed by their jointly owned Finncarriers.
Until now, sailings to and from the U.K. from Finland have been provided by much smaller ships.
Besides being the largest of their type on this trade route, the 12,000-dwt carriers will be the biggest RO/RO vessels ever built by Rauma-Repola.
Classification will be to Lloyd's Register of Shipping +100 Al, + LMC, with the machinery automated to comply with UMS requirements.
The vessels also will meet the Finnish Ice Class 1A Super standards. The 12,000 deadweight is on the maximum draft of 8.3 meters (27.23 feet), although the normal trading deadweight will be 8,000 tons at a draft of 7.2 meters (23.62 feet).
The ships will have an overall length of 155 meters, beam of 25 meters, and depth to shelter deck of 22.2 meters (508.5 by 82 by 72.8 feet).
Two main engines coupled through reduction gearing to one controllable-pitch p r o p e l l e r will permit running on either one or two engines to optimize speed for either urgent or less urgent transport requirements. Propulsion machinery comprises a pair of Wartsila Wartsila/ S.E.M.T. P i e l s t i c k diesels, each developing 8,850 bhp (6,600 kw) maximum continuous rating at 520 rpm. They will provide a speed of 18.5 knots at a deadweight of 8,000 tons and engine output of 74 percent of the mcr.
With the ship running on one engine at 80 percent of mcr the speed will be 15 knots.
The cargo holds on the main deck and lower hold have a total area of about 3,700 square meters, a height of 6.3 meters, and a lane length of 1,200 meters.
They are strengthened for an even load of 5 tons per square meter, a fork lift truck of 60/50 tons, and trailer weight of 50 tons per 40-foot unit.
Covered cargo space above upper deck is designed for RO/RO cargoes, and has a total area of 2,700 square meters, height of 4.5 meters, and lane length of 900 meters. This deck is strengthened for an even load of 2 tons per square meter.
Fully air-conditioned accommodations are arranged in spacious single cabins away from noise and vibrations. Each cabin is provided with toilet / shower unit.
There are also larger cabins for families, and double cabins for 12 drivers.
Two sauna baths are provided, as well as a swimming pool, gymnasium, and hobby room.
Other stories from December 1980 issue
- Ogden Applies For CDS And Amended Title XI On Three LNG Carriers To Cost $861 Million page: 4
- MarAd Approves Title XI For Self-Unloader Costing $56.4 Million page: 4
- Newport News To Modify Five Exxon Tankers At Total Cost Of $100 Million page: 4
- Vancouver Shipyards Delivers Log Barge To Seaspan Int'l page: 6
- Texaco Engineers Will Get Advanced Training On MarineSafety Simulator page: 6
- Biospherics Receives USCG Certification For 'Oil Sentry' page: 6
- Quincy Yard To Build $60-Million Collier For New England Electric page: 7
- Dravo Launches First Towboat For People's Republic Of China page: 7
- V.J. Lieggi Rejoins CDI Marine Company As San Diego Office Manager page: 7
- 1980 ABS Rules For Steel River And Intracoastal Vessels Now Available page: 7
- Bulk Carrier Horyu Maru Delivered By Hitachi's Ariake Yard page: 8
- GM-Powered Utility Vessel Delivered By Hudson Shipbuilders page: 8
- Twin Nickum & Spaulding "Schooners7 Join Alaska Fishing Fleet page: 8
- HUDSHIP Delivers 112-Foot Lamnalco Merlin page: 10
- Port Of Portland Names Task Force To Aid Staff On Master Terminal Plan page: 12
- Far East-Levingston Delivers Pool Rig 144 page: 12
- Southern Natural And IOT Sign Interstate Purchase Agreement page: 12
- Riverway Shipyard Completes Rebuilding Of M/V Glen-Karen page: 12
- Jeffboat To Build Two Tank Barges For Boston Fuel's Fleet page: 14
- 88th Annual Meeting page: 14
- New Edition Of 'Ship Design And Construction' Published By SNAME page: 15
- Latest Krogen Design Delivered By Nichols Boat Works page: 17
- Cheverton Workboats To Build Fiberglass-Reinforced Vessels page: 17
- 1st Annual OUTSTANDING VESSELS REVIEW page: 18
- Press Group Awarded Major Platform Contracts page: 20
- J.P. Ducich Appointed Operations Director At Bultema Marine page: 20
- Sixteen Key Appointments Announced At Bath Iron page: 22
- Kelly To Succeed Watkin As Head Of Delaware River Port Authority page: 23
- $15-Million Contract For New Chemical Barge Awarded To GD-Quincy page: 23
- SNAME Northern California Hears Mini-OTEC Paper page: 24
- Parmater Named President Bultema Dock & Dredge And LaCrosse Dredging page: 24
- NASSCO Launches The S/S Blue Ridge- First Of Three For West Coast Shipping page: 26
- Ryan-Walsh Appoints Three Corporate Officers page: 28
- SMR Introduces Inexpensive SSB Radio —Literature Available page: 30
- Hitachi Zosen To Build Its First Semisubmersible Rig For U.S. Company page: 32
- Omnithruster And Marteco Enter Agreement For European Representation page: 33
- Garlock Releases New Version Of Expansion Joint Manual page: 33
- TANO Wins Contracts Worth $10.7 Million For Vessel Automation Systems page: 36
- First Of Two Tugs To Sembawang Towing— More To Be Ordered page: 36
- New Trident Submarine Base In Georgia Will Cost About $1.4 Billion page: 37
- $9-Million Navy Contract Awarded To Bath Yard For Frigate Overhaul page: 38
- Dome Petroleum Will Sell Canadian LNG To Utilities In Japan page: 38
- Double-Skin Fuel Barge Delivered By Riverway Yard page: 38
- Twin Disc Announces Two New Transmissions —Literature Available page: 40
- P.J. Wright Joins Alliance Marine As VP Sales-Marketing page: 40
- New Shipboard Fuel Blending Unit From IMO Pump Division page: 41
- $18.1 -Million Dredging Contract Awarded To T.L. James & Company page: 42
- Propsom Promoted To Vice President-Operations At Peterson Builders page: 42
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears About Alternative Fuels page: 42
- Rauma-Repola To Build Two RO/RO Vessels For Finncarriers page: 43
- Sperry Gets $2 Million In Orders For Collision Avoidance Systems page: 43
- High-Speed Pilot Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 43
- Special And Unique Tugs page: 44
- Metritape Introduces New Dry Tank Detector —Literature Available page: 46
- Long Beach/L.A. ASNE Meeting Hears Discussion On Co-generation Of Energy page: 46
- C-E Boilers Will Power Coal-Fired Ships Under Construction In Italy page: 48
- Church Joins Designers & Planners As Project Engineering Director page: 48
- Hoffert Fuel Oil/Water Emulsion System Effects Boiler Fuel Savings page: 49
- Transamerica Delaval Will Study Oil-Water Fuel Mixtures In Diesels page: 50
- Donald Jett Named VP-Contracts And Administration At CDI page: 50
- Crowley's Construction Operations In Alaska Are Reorganized page: 50
- CDI Marine Opens D.C. Office—Names Hunley Manager page: 50
- $5.3-Million Navy Support Contract Awarded To Tracor page: 50
- Underwater Maintenance Gets Order To Equip All Conoco Tankers page: 51
- W.D. Wheeler Associates Appointed U.S. Agents For Astilleros Del Golfo page: 51
- Philip Bannan Named A Division Manager At Western Gear Corp page: 51
- MarAd And EPA Propose Incinerator Ships For Hazardous Wastes page: 52
- New Fan Coil Units Offered By Adrick— Literature Available page: 52
- Tenn-Tom Towing Asks Title XI On Three Vessels To Cost $2.5 Million page: 54
- Brochure Available On National Supply's Big Torque Converters page: 54
- R.W. Thorpe Joins McMullen Associates As Vice President page: 55
- MarAd Reorganizes Its Marketing, Domestic Shipping, Port Programs page: 55
- Worthington's Multi-Stage Pumps Provide Flexibility —Literature Available page: 56
- ITT Grinnell Introduces New Butterfly V a l v e - Literature Available page: 56
- Survey Will Seek Ways To Increase Commerce At Great Lakes Ports page: 58
- Former Globtik Tanker Acquired For Texaco's British-Flag Fleet page: 60
- New Pipe Installation Guide Available From Fiberglass Resources page: 60
- McDermott Plans To Expand Gulfport Division Shipyard page: 62
- Energy-Saving Skegs Proven In Barge Service page: 62
- Wheeler Associates Named U.S. Agents For Greek Yard page: 63
- FMC Lays Keel For 400-Foot Crowley Maritime Tank Barge page: 66
- MarAd Approves Title XI For Two Tankers Costing $129 Million page: 66
- Patti Industries Has Contract To Build Two 65' Tugs For Cheramie page: 66
- J.W. Steadman Named VP-Production For Halter Marine page: 66