Crowley Delivers Second Of Three Part Tug Series
Crowley Marine Services has delivered Attentive, the second of three 140- ft. (42.6 m), 10,000-hp Prevention and Response Tugs (PRTs), to Alyeska Pipeline Service Company in Valdez, Alaska. Attentive and its pair of sisterships - Alert and Aware - will be used by Crowley in the Trans Alaska Pipeline System trade. Alert was deployed in February; Aware is scheduled to be delivered this month. The PRT trio will join Alyeska's Ship Escort Response Vessel System (SERVS), serving as tanker escorts in Prince William Sound.
During its sea trials, Attentive generated a bollard pull of 305,000-lbs. and running speed of 17 knots. Equipped for firefighting, emergency response and oil spill recovery, all three PRTs are powered by twin Caterpillar 3612B engines generating the combined 10,192-hp driving two Kamewa Aquamaster azimuthing thrusters.
The tugs' design scope was developed by Seattle-based Guido Perla and Associates; construction occurred at Dakota Creek Shipyard in Anacortes, Wash, for Vessel Management Services - a subsidiary of Crowley Maritime that owns and leases vessels. Design features include accommodations for up to 16 personnel, Schuyler fendering, a Markey TDS-40 towing winch, 3,000 ft.
of oil recovery boom and on-deck stowage for two oil spill recovery skiffs.
Circle 172 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from July 2000 issue
- Vessel Safety Takes Center Stage page: 8
- A podded future page: 10
- ABS Introduces SafeShip page: 12
- RINA Sets New Green Standards page: 15
- Heightened Scrutiny On Ship Scrapping page: 16
- Cascade General Gets Crystal Harmony Back In Sync page: 20
- Sri Lanka Diving Team Goes Beneath The Surface page: 20
- Crowley Delivers Second Of Three Part Tug Series page: 23
- Celebrity Links Its Past To Its Future With Millennium page: 26
- Gas Turbine v. Diesel Debate Heats Up With Delivery of New Millennium page: 29
- McNeece Design Stresses Security page: 31
- Station 12 Strives To Corner Satcom page: 32
- Satellite Communications page: 34
- GOM: Number Of Floating Production Systems Projected To Rise page: 36
- FGH moves to get house in order page: 41
- German Yard Implements Nupas-Cadmatic page: 43
- Autoship Upgrades Several Products page: 43
- Yachting Consult Releases New MasterSHIP 200 page: 47
- Mack Powers Into Maritime Market page: 48
- Marine Diesel Propulsion: Where Less Is More page: 51
- Halter Responds To Venezuelan Navy Needs page: 57
- Bollinger-Built Tornado Kicks Up A Storm page: 57