Cummins-Powered Yacht At Freeport Shipbuilding
Freeport Shipbuilding & Marine Repair, Freeport, Fla., is constructing a 110-foot steel-hulled yacht designed by the late John Brever of Florida, with interior by Dallasbased CD A.
The vessel will be christened Alpha Centauri when delivered to Star of Texas, Inc., founded by Dallas businessman G. Ray Miller.
Mr. Miller and Jim Murray, president of Freeport Shipbuilding, decided to fashion the 110-foot hull from a combination of existing designs in order to make the boat as tough as any at sea. This requirement was fulfilled by a 23-foot bow (measured from keel) fashioned after a North Sea workboat, the stern fashioned after a deepsea fishing boat, with the entire hull made of solid 5/16-inch steel.
The Alpha Centauri is considered a new concept in "space" ships, a fact that is evident in its height of 42 feet from keel to mast top, and its 27-foot beam. Mr. Miller's scheme was for a ship capable of accommodating anyone's fantasy. His concept in this case encompasses room for on-deck stowage of a Maule (STOL) seaplane, a 27-foot Boston Whaler Outrage complete with tuna-tower and twin 225-hp engines, a 15-foot Boston Whaler, a 13-foot hard-bottom Zodiac and at least two Waverunners and Windsurfers.
The "Sports Yacht" is equipped with a 10-ton-capacity crane to move the Maule, as well as the other boats, on and off the deck.
The vessel's twin 400-hp Cummins engines provide more than adequate power to turn the large 42- inch propellers. This, combined with twin 60-kw Cummins diesel generators and a 10,000-gallon fuel storage system, provides a cruising range of 2,800 miles at 20 knots.
Alpha Centauri, the mother ship, will be available for charter, primarily in the Caribbean, by fishing, diving and business groups.
For free literature on the facilities and capabilities of Freeport Shipbuilding, Circle 6 6 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from May 1990 issue
- 21 -Percent Increase In World Shipbuilding Output Reported page: 6
- MSI-Operated CAORF Facility Selected To Assess Operational Impact Of New BC Superferries page: 6
- PBI Awards $2.8-Million Order To MagneTek ALS page: 7
- Free Literature Offered On New Navy-Approved Fire Retardant Coating page: 8
- Conoco Inc. Orders Two Double-Hull Tankers From Samsung Shipbuilding page: 9
- DRS Offers Advanced Sonar Signal And Video Processing Systems page: 9
- Guthans Elected AWO Chairman Of The Board; Farrell Reelected President page: 10
- Webb Institute Receives Endowment For Professorship From Lester Rosenblatt page: 10
- Wartsila Marine-Powered Floating Power Plant Barge Built By Conrad Industries, Outfitted By Bollinger page: 10
- Blount Marine Launches Excursion Boat Spirit of Boston page: 11
- EUROPEAN SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR page: 12
- Unitor Offers Literature On New Medical Concept For Cruise Industry page: 22
- Bird-Johnson Pneumatic Systems To Be Installed By PCE On 18 Navy LSTs page: 23
- Huge Train Ferry 'Railship III' Powered By Wartsila Diesels page: 24
- Hover Systems/Eastern Shipyards Announce Air Cushion Vehicles Licensing Agreement page: 24
- STATUS REPORT ON U.S. NAVY SHIP AND EQUIPMENT PROCUREMENT page: 27
- Trinity To Build Fifth Army LSV Under $10-Million Pact page: 34
- MTU, KaMeWa To Supply Propulsion Machinery For Repowering U.S. Navy SES-200 page: 34
- Wilson & Hayes Mark 55 Years In Business page: 34
- Fairbanks Morse Receives Order For 16 Engines From Avondale page: 37
- L&C Associates Installs Protective Sealing System Aboard USNS Mispillion page: 37
- Posidonia The International Shipping Exhibition page: 38
- Furmanite Offers Free Brochure Describing Machines And Services page: 41
- International Paint Applies New Coating Technology To U.S. Marine Market page: 42
- Nichols Bros. Delivers First 3 Of 6 Ferries For Puerto Rico page: 43
- Eastern Shipyards Converts Two Offshore Vessels To Ensco Marine page: 43
- RORO90 page: 44
- Textron Marine Systems Delivers LCAC-24 To U.S. Navy page: 45
- Cummins-Powered Yacht At Freeport Shipbuilding page: 45
- Bender Monitoring Systems Prevent Ground Faults —Literature Available page: 45
- Free Brochure Details Rigid Inflatable Craft From Task Force Boats page: 45
- Construction Of Cog Replica Supported By Deutz M WM page: 46
- Ingalls To Continue Engineering, Planning Services To N a v y 's Aegis Destroyer Program page: 46
- Jeffboat Names Ken Howe Manager, Marine Repair page: 47
- E-A-R's Type II Vibration Damping Tiles Hold Navy QPL Status page: 47
- Hopeman Brothers To Supply Accommodation Joiner Packages For Two Oil Skimming Vessels page: 50
- Master Marine Building 100-Foot Fiberglass Trawler For Alaska Fisheries page: 55