Bethlehem Signs Agreement To Represent New Arab Shipbuilding And Repair Yard
Bethlehem Steel Corporation has signed an agreement with Arab Shipbuilding & Repair Yard Company to represent the latter as a ship repair sales agent in the United States.
The agreement was announced jointly in New York by Gilford Rossi, chairman of the board of directors of Arab Shipbuilding & Repair Yard Marketing Services Ltd. of London, England, which has worldwide sales responsibility for the yard, and William C.
Brigham, vice president, shipbuilding, Bethlehem Steel, its U.S. sales agent.
Bethlehem will handle sales for ship repair to owners and operators, domiciled in the United States, of very large crude carriers (VLCCs).
The Arab Ship Repair Yard (ASRY), located on the Island of Bahrain, will be completed in late 1977 and go into full oper- ation during 1978. This modern complex will have a graving dock 1,230 feet long and 245 feet wide, and complete supporting shops and tools to handle all ship repair work. The dock will be capable of accommodating VLCCs up to 450,000 deadweight tons.
Located in the heart of the world's major crude oil loading area, ASRY will be one of the most modern yards in existence.
The Lisbon, Portugal-based firm of Estaleiros Navais de Lisboa— Lisnave—the largest and most experienced VLCC repair yard in Europe, has signed a management contract for operation of ASRY.
The yard represents the first pan-Arab industrial venture, with seven OAPEC nations participating.
They are Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Libya, Iraq, Qatar and UAE (United Arab Emirates).
Other stories from June 15, 1976 issue
- Hoffert Marine, Inc. Offers New Brochure page: 4
- Two Firms Request Aid For 165,000-DWT Tankers Costing $173.8 Million page: 6
- Expansion Of Brazilian Shipyard Will Double Construction Capacity page: 7
- California Group Forms Europe To Arabia Ro/Ro Barge Service page: 8
- Syncrolift® Commissions World's Largest Shiplift At Canary Islands Repair Yard page: 10
- Bethlehem Builds Drill Rig For Norwegian Group, With GE Credit Furnishing First Mortgage, To Work Off Louisiana Coast For Shell Oil page: 10
- Vicinay Chain Company Officially Opens New Corpus Christi Manufacturing Plant page: 12
- Stig Host Appointed Chief Executive Officer Of Skaarup Shipping page: 12
- World's Most Sophisticated Maritime Research Simulator page: 13
- EDO Corporation Awarded $7-Million Foreign Order page: 14
- Marland Names Reps For USCG Approved Sewage-Treatment Unit page: 14
- Ingalls Companies Name William Kearney page: 15
- Morflot Opens Headquarters Office page: 16
- Savannah Machine Elects Green Executive VP page: 16
- Bethlehem Signs Agreement To Represent New Arab Shipbuilding And Repair Yard page: 17
- United Polish Shipyards Offer New Brochure On Building Facilities page: 17
- Gulf Trading Promotes Hindson And Monaghan page: 17
- CG Approves Microphor Sewage Treatment System page: 17
- Tacoma Boat Launches First Of Two Tug/Supply Vessels For Tidewater Marine page: 19
- American Bureau Appoints K.E. Sheehan Counsel page: 19
- The Waterways Company Licenses Delta Shipyard To Make STEERMASTERs page: 20
- New York Port Groups Honor James McAllister page: 20
- ASNE San Diego Section Hears Adm. Monger Stress Importance Of Safety Interlocks page: 21
- Todd Names Schaefer Assistant General Manager Los Angeles Shipyard page: 21
- R.H. Roemer Forms Mobile Marine Assoc. page: 22
- SNAME Gulf Section Holds Spring Meeting page: 24
- Lykes Elects Brennan Exec. Vice President page: 25
- Texaco Adds Another VLCC To Company Fleet Of 189 Tanker page: 28
- ITT Decca Marine Names Three Managers page: 29
- NDTA Honors Tom Crowley page: 34
- Mississippi Marine Rebuilds Fire-Damaged Towboat Lillian G page: 34
- Chesapeake Section Of SNAME Hears Paper On High Speed Ship Structural Dynamics page: 36
- Hovermarine Announces First Sale To Japan page: 37
- MTS Names Szolkowski Senior VP-Operations page: 37
- Advanced Marine Opens Office In Washington page: 38
- W.H. Blaylock Joins Energy Transportation As Safety Coordinator page: 39
- Gratwick Named VP New Marine Division Canadian Nat'l Railways page: 39
- Dubai Petroleum Elects H.A. Mckinley President page: 44
- Konel Names Abbott West Coast Manager page: 44
- Bath Iron Launches Third Ro/Ro Ship- Delivers First To States Steamship Co. page: 46
- Maritime Association Publishes 1976 Edition N.Y. Port Handbook page: 47
- Special Skills And Machines Prepare Aluminum Shell Plates For Spherical-Type LNG Tanks page: 48
- Marine Executives Visit University To Review Class Project On Construction Of Towboats page: 49