Steel Style Delivers Jumbo Floating Drydock
Steel Style, Inc., 401 South Water Street, Newburgh, N.Y.
12550, recently announced the delivery of a jumbo floating drydock to General Dynamics/Electric Boat Division, Groton, Conn.
The floating drydock is to become a major component of the $140- million facilities expansion program, currently underway at Electric Boat.
The giant pontoon, nearly the size of two football fields (500 feet long by 100 feet wide), was taken in tow at the shipyard by two Turecamo Coastal & Harbor Towing Company's tugs for the journey down the Hudson River, around the Battery (New York City), up the East River and into Long Island Sound for its final destination at Groton, Conn.
This facility will give Electric Boat 'the capacity to launch and overhaul the largest submarines currently on the drawing boards, including the giant missile-carrying Tridents, which are roughly the size of World War II cruisers.
This vessel represents the largest "ship" ever constructed between New York City and the Great Lakes, and brings to this historic Hudson Valley community a renaissance of shipbuilding activity.
Additionally, Steel Style, Inc.
this past summer fabricated and delivered a floodable caisson gate for Morrison-Knudsen Co., Inc.
to be used for a part of the same submarine construction facility.
Steel Style, Inc. has the facilities to construct barges, drydocks, and offshore drilling vessels.
In 1975, Steel Style, Inc.
supplied and erected two 36-million- gallon liquefied natural gas storage tanks on Staten Island, the largest ever built.
Other stories from January 1977 issue
- Title XI Financing Approved For Tankers page: 4
- Sulzer Receives Order For Combined LPG/LNG Reliquefaction System page: 4
- MarAd Approves Title XI For Two Barge Operators Valued At $10.3 Million page: 6
- American Heavy Lift Requests CDS To Build Two $14-Million Vessels page: 6
- Marinette Marine Completes $8-Million 20-Vessel Gunboat Contract On Schedule page: 7
- $12.5-Million Contract Awarded For Tampa 900-Foot Drydock page: 7
- Atlantic Marine Delivers Unusual Tug To Lago Oil To Handle VLCCs At Aruba page: 7
- DOT Approves Two Offshore Superports For Large Tankers page: 7
- Scindia Lines Plans $122-Million Ship Building Program page: 7
- MSB Approves States And MorMac Exchange Of Vessels page: 8
- Whitehall Club Elects J.J. Henry President page: 8
- Giant Aluminum LNG Sphere 12 Stories High Arrives At General Dynamics Quincy Yard page: 8
- Suderman & Young Towing Elects Rayzor President page: 9
- S/S United States Offered To High Bidder —Minimum $5 Million page: 9
- NASSCO Delivers 90,000-DWT Chestnut Hill- Lays Keel For Fourth San Clemente-Class Tanker page: 9
- Marine Section, NSC, Presents A w a r d s - Elects Officers At National Convention page: 10
- CF Industries Names R.A. Wilson To Head Transportation Group page: 10
- Exxon Awards IMODCO Contract To Construct Offshore Facility page: 10
- Some Aspects Of Large Floating Docks page: 12
- Uniflite, Inc. Delivers Four High-Speed Patrol Boats page: 12
- Prudential Lines Signs Contract For MARISAT Terminals For Entire LASH Fleet page: 12
- Sea Container Affiliate Signs Letter Of Intent For Four Containerships page: 14
- San Diego Sections Of SNAME And ASNE Hear Description Of SUBDEVGR1 Functions page: 14
- Steel Style Delivers Jumbo Floating Drydock page: 14
- N.Y. SNAME Section Hosts Port Engineers And Institute Of Marine Engineers At Technical Meeting page: 14
- Tankers To Install AIRFILCO Engineering Inert Gas Systems page: 16
- Manfred Krutein Opens Marine Consulting Office page: 16
- Offshore Jackup Systems Available In Kit Form From Baker Marine page: 18
- M / G Transport Services Announces Major Senior Management Staff Changes page: 19
- Drillship To Install Sperry Marine Systems Sensing Equipment page: 19
- MSB To Compute Estimated Foreign Cost Of Bulk Carriers page: 19
- SNAME Chesapeake Section Hears Paper On Level Flotation—Research To Regulation page: 19
- H.P. Drewry Reports On The Market For Medium-Sized (70-175,000 DWT) Tankers page: 20
- Gamlen America Names Joseph Nolet Manager Marine Development page: 20
- Halter Marine Services Delivers First Boat To New Company page: 22
- Tanker Built In Spain First To Use New Litton Navigation System page: 23
- Northwest Marine Gets $1.4-Million Contract page: 24
- Sun Releases Analysis Of World Tanker Fleet page: 24
- American Waterways Operators Approve Budget For 1977 page: 25
- Brochure Features New Murphy 232 Marine Diesels page: 25
- Adm. Ralph Cousins Elected President Of Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. page: 25
- Two Farrell Lines Containerships Being Lengthened 144 Feet By Avondale page: 28
- Henry Diercxsens Named Vice President Atlantic Overseas Corp. page: 28
- Worthington Pump Appoints S.V. Ardia page: 29
- Microwave Indicator Tells Level Of Liquid Cargoes Aboard Ship page: 29
- Port Of Houston Terminal Installs Three LeTourneau 50-Ton Straddle Hoist Cranes page: 30
- Dravo Launches 40th Viking-Class Towboat page: 30
- C-E Marine Power Systems Names Robertson And Sabo page: 31
- Diamond Delivers Revolving Crane Trucks To N.C. State Ports page: 31
- TMT Adds Two Double-Deck Barges To Florida-Puerto Rico Operations page: 32
- Equitable Launches First Of Two Ferries For Louisiana Department Of Highways page: 32
- Don Macauley Joins Atlantic Cordage Corp. As Marketing Manager page: 32
- Apelco Announces New Marine Radiotelephone page: 32
- Second 'Catug' Unit For Hvide Shipping Christened At Galveston page: 33
- Coast Guard Orders ENVIROVAC Systems page: 33
- Mangone Ship Delivers 150-Foot Tugboat To Norwegian Owners page: 34
- GE Appoints Noonan Ma nager Of Marketing For Marine Gas Turbines page: 34
- MMC Introduces New Continuous Reading Tank Gauging System page: 34
- CF Industries Names David Titus Manager Seagoing Operations page: 34
- Maritime College Alumni Name Norman Lee 1976 Man Of The Year page: 36
- Saudi Arabia Bars Old Ships From Ports To Reduce Congestion page: 36
- Samson Ocean Systems Describes Pierside Mooring Systems page: 37
- Crowley Appoints Three In Caribbean Division page: 37
- Empire Abrasive Describes Improved Blasting Nozzle page: 37
- Seatrain Appoints Magee To New Executive Post page: 38
- ADDSCO Promotes Bitowf And Roy page: 38
- Walter Kidde To Sell U.S. Lines To WUI, Inc. page: 39
- Bath Iron Launches Fourth Ro/Ro Ship For States Steamship page: 39
- New Waste Oil Dehydrator Operating On Houston Channel page: 40
- Canada Extends Subsidy To Include Conversions page: 41
- Jurong Shipyard Wins $13-Million Contract page: 41
- H.P. Drewry Reports On Tanker Owners' Future page: 41
- Drew Chemical Announces New Chemical Fuel-Oil Additive page: 42
- Northwest Marine Christens Barge Alaska page: 42
- The Cordage Group Promotes W.S. Stroud And P.S. Bowes page: 43
- Keppel Shipyard Converting Ships To Livestock Carriers page: 43
- Halter Delivers Versatile 195-Foot Offshore Supply Vessel page: 43
- Alabama Docks Buys Land For Expansion page: 43