American Ship Receives $20 Million In Contracts For Conversion, Barges
The American Ship Building Company has received a group of contracts totaling approximately $20 million for the conversion of a Great Lakes bulk carrier and construction of several types of barges.
First of the contracts is with Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Company for the conversion of its 826-foot bulk carrier Walter A.
Sterling — fifth largest vessel on the Great Lakes — to a selfunloader at the Lorain, Ohio, yard of American Ship Building's AmShip Division. Also scheduled for the division are major cargo hold modifications on two other Lake carriers.
Another contract was signed by Missouri Portland Cement and American Ship Building's Nabrico Division in Nashville, Tenn., for the construction of 10 cement barges that will be put in service on the inland river system. Additional agreements for four oil barges were also received. These contracts will extend the division's backlog at its Ashland, Tenn., facility through September.
The Nashville plant's backlog extends through the year.
In another contract, Florida Power Company has awarded the construction of a 13,500-deadweight- ton coal barge to American Ship Building's Tampa Ship Repair and Dry Dock Co., Inc.
subsidiary. The barge is designed to transport Western coal from New Orleans, La., to the utility's Florida Power Station at Crystal City, Fla.
The American Ship Building Company is a leading independent ship construction, conversion and repair firm on the Great Lakes.
It has construction facilities in Chicago, 111.; Toledo and Lorain, Ohio; Nashville and Ashland City, Tenn.; and Tampa, Fla. Its Building Products Division, with main operational bases in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Omaha, Neb., produces farm roofing, siding and rain goods.
Other stories from March 15, 1977 issue
- IMODCO In Joint Venture For North Sea Operations page: 4
- Navy Awards 8 FFGs To Todd And Bath To Cost $402.5 Million page: 6
- Pietro Campanella Heads New MacGregor Italia Established In Italy page: 6
- Newport News To Build Four More LNG Carriers At Cost Of $800 Million page: 7
- Tidewater Christens M / V Reeves Tide— Halter-Built Oil Field Service Vessel page: 7
- Towing Tank Conference Set For August 23-25 page: 7
- American Ship Receives $20 Million In Contracts For Conversion, Barges page: 8
- De Laval Separator Establishes Marine- Offshore Sales Dept page: 8
- Brown & Root Names Thomas Feehan President page: 9
- Ogden Marine Officials Optimistic About Future page: 10
- United Polish Shipyards Executives Visit U.S.A. page: 11
- Lloyd's Register Studies Deep Oil Technology's Tension Leg Platform page: 12
- CAI Introduces Obsolete Proof 24-Channel SSB page: 12
- Precision's New Brochure Tells How To Cut Costs On Diesel Maintenance page: 14
- Sperry Vickers Names Whited International Planning Manager page: 14
- M.l.T. Schedules Course On Port Development page: 14
- Floyd H. Blaske page: 14
- London-To-Belgium Jetfoil Service Set page: 14
- SNAME Northern California Section Told How To Evaluate Hull Forms j page: 18
- Ameron Div. Announces Nationwide Appointments page: 22
- SNAME President Names Committee Chairmen page: 23
- Cryogenic Structures Receives Contract For LNG Insulation page: 24
- Jones, Bardelmeier Open Singapore Office page: 24
- Bellinger Delivers Ro/Ro Landing Vessel To West India Shipping page: 25
- French Naval Ship Installs AIRFILCO Inert Gas Blanketing System page: 25
- Crude Oil Washing Of Cargo Tanks page: 28
- Third Chesapeake Sailing Yacht Symposium Attracts Over 500 Engineers And Enthusiasts page: 30
- Armco Literature Shows How To Use And Inspect Wire Rope Slings page: 32
- MacGregor To Build Stern Slewing Ramps For 'Multiflex' Ships page: 33
- Glacier Metal Details Line Of Ship Bearings page: 33
- Northville To Engineer Pacific Deepwater Port For Panama Government page: 34
- Gotaas-Larsen Names Proes Senior VP-LNG page: 35
- Midland Enterprises Inc. Elects Three Financial Corporate Officers page: 36
- Det Norske Veritas Forms Maritime Advisory Services Department page: 36
- Propulsion Systems Appoints Eagle Marine Sales Representative page: 37
- CAI Loran A Receiver Is 'Instant Positioner' With Advanced Features page: 38
- ASNE San Diego Section Shown Naval Undersea Center's Operations page: 38
- McGrath Appoints McGoldrick Chairman And Field President page: 39
- Sier-Bath Booklet Describes Barge Pump page: 39
- B. Orsi Joins PFEL In Top Management Spot page: 40
- Waukesha Engine Names Lee Acting President page: 40
- Matson Agencies Name M.L. Shafer Senior VP page: 41
- Great Lakes & European Names Merz Manager European Operations page: 41
- State Boat Elects D.S. Miller President page: 42
- Lykes To Use Barges From French Port For New Service To Arabia page: 42
- National Cargo Bureau Names Guam Surveyor page: 42
- Strachan Announces Four Key Promotions page: 43
- Uniflite Inc. Names Hill Vice President page: 43
- Northeast Marine Elects F.X. McQuade President page: 43