Lykes To Use Barges From French Port For New Service To Arabia
Officials of Lykes Bros. Steamship Co., Inc. have revealed the establishment of a new service linking U.S. Gulf, South Atlantic and Great Lakes ports with Saudi Arabia.
Lykes has concluded a connecting carrier agreement with the EAST Line (Euro Arab Sea Trailers) that will provide at least two and possibly three sailings monthly by Lykes ships to the French port of Fos, near Marseilles, where the Saudi Arabian cargo will be transshipped to seagoing barges of EAST on a through bill of lading.
EAST operates its own terminal at Fos, where the containers arriving on Lykes ships are discharged to truck chassis and then loaded aboard the huge new EAST barges. EAST provides sailings from Fos every 10 days, bound for the Saudi Arabian port of Yanbu.
At Yanbu, EAST operates its own container yard. Promptly after arrival, the cargo is cleared by customs, hooked up to tractors, and within seven days is delivered to such major points as Jeddah, Mecca, Riyadh, Dammam, and numerous other interior points throughout Saudi Arabia.
The EAST facilities at Yanbu are operated exclusively for movement of EAST cargoes, thus avoiding delays found at many other points of discharge in Saudi Arabia. The roll-on operation at Fos and the roll-off discharge at Yanbu assures prompt dispatch of cargoes.
The triple-deck EAST barges are 400 feet long and 105 feet wide. Maximum capacity will be 266 forty-foot trailers, which can be discharged in less than eight hours. The barges will be towed by 10,000-horsepower tugs.
The EAST operation is a new venture jointly owned by Global Transport Organization of San Francisco, Calif., and Compagnie Maritime Beige of Antwerp. Partners in the Global Transport Organization include the Crowley Maritime Corporation, San Francisco ; Federal Pacific, Ltd., and Seaspan Overseas, Ltd., both Canadian firms with extensive shipping interests.
Other stories from March 15, 1977 issue
- IMODCO In Joint Venture For North Sea Operations page: 4
- Navy Awards 8 FFGs To Todd And Bath To Cost $402.5 Million page: 6
- Pietro Campanella Heads New MacGregor Italia Established In Italy page: 6
- Newport News To Build Four More LNG Carriers At Cost Of $800 Million page: 7
- Tidewater Christens M / V Reeves Tide— Halter-Built Oil Field Service Vessel page: 7
- Towing Tank Conference Set For August 23-25 page: 7
- American Ship Receives $20 Million In Contracts For Conversion, Barges page: 8
- De Laval Separator Establishes Marine- Offshore Sales Dept page: 8
- Brown & Root Names Thomas Feehan President page: 9
- Ogden Marine Officials Optimistic About Future page: 10
- United Polish Shipyards Executives Visit U.S.A. page: 11
- Lloyd's Register Studies Deep Oil Technology's Tension Leg Platform page: 12
- CAI Introduces Obsolete Proof 24-Channel SSB page: 12
- Precision's New Brochure Tells How To Cut Costs On Diesel Maintenance page: 14
- Sperry Vickers Names Whited International Planning Manager page: 14
- M.l.T. Schedules Course On Port Development page: 14
- Floyd H. Blaske page: 14
- London-To-Belgium Jetfoil Service Set page: 14
- SNAME Northern California Section Told How To Evaluate Hull Forms j page: 18
- Ameron Div. Announces Nationwide Appointments page: 22
- SNAME President Names Committee Chairmen page: 23
- Cryogenic Structures Receives Contract For LNG Insulation page: 24
- Jones, Bardelmeier Open Singapore Office page: 24
- Bellinger Delivers Ro/Ro Landing Vessel To West India Shipping page: 25
- French Naval Ship Installs AIRFILCO Inert Gas Blanketing System page: 25
- Crude Oil Washing Of Cargo Tanks page: 28
- Third Chesapeake Sailing Yacht Symposium Attracts Over 500 Engineers And Enthusiasts page: 30
- Armco Literature Shows How To Use And Inspect Wire Rope Slings page: 32
- MacGregor To Build Stern Slewing Ramps For 'Multiflex' Ships page: 33
- Glacier Metal Details Line Of Ship Bearings page: 33
- Northville To Engineer Pacific Deepwater Port For Panama Government page: 34
- Gotaas-Larsen Names Proes Senior VP-LNG page: 35
- Midland Enterprises Inc. Elects Three Financial Corporate Officers page: 36
- Det Norske Veritas Forms Maritime Advisory Services Department page: 36
- Propulsion Systems Appoints Eagle Marine Sales Representative page: 37
- CAI Loran A Receiver Is 'Instant Positioner' With Advanced Features page: 38
- ASNE San Diego Section Shown Naval Undersea Center's Operations page: 38
- McGrath Appoints McGoldrick Chairman And Field President page: 39
- Sier-Bath Booklet Describes Barge Pump page: 39
- B. Orsi Joins PFEL In Top Management Spot page: 40
- Waukesha Engine Names Lee Acting President page: 40
- Matson Agencies Name M.L. Shafer Senior VP page: 41
- Great Lakes & European Names Merz Manager European Operations page: 41
- State Boat Elects D.S. Miller President page: 42
- Lykes To Use Barges From French Port For New Service To Arabia page: 42
- National Cargo Bureau Names Guam Surveyor page: 42
- Strachan Announces Four Key Promotions page: 43
- Uniflite Inc. Names Hill Vice President page: 43
- Northeast Marine Elects F.X. McQuade President page: 43