Ogden Marine Officials Optimistic About Future
"The climate is the best I have seen in 17 years for U.S.-flag ship operations," stated Michael Klebanoff, president, Ogden Marine Inc. (OMI), in a talk given at a recent meeting with New York securities analysts. Mr.
Klebanoff reinforced this statement by saying that the imbalance between supply and demand for tankers should level off in two or three years. He also predicted increased oil imports by the United States.
The Ogden Corporation's transportation group includes Avondale Shipyards, OMI, and marine terminals. M. Lee Rice, president of Ogden Transportation Inc., and Mr. Klebanoff both spoke at length on the transportation of LNG. They stated that Avondale Shipyards is building three LNG carriers for charter to Pacific Lighting and Pacific Gas companies, for delivery of LNG from Indonesia to the West Coast.
They are hopeful of receiving a similar contract from Zapata Corporation, which has a charter agreement with these firms. The existing 20-year charter of the three ships under construction is valued at approximately a half billion dollars. Construction of the other three would double this figure.
However, the firm's officers stressed that the necessary approvals from the Federal Power Commission and Federal and California environmental authorities are delaying both the initial ships and the ships Zapata may order.
Mr. Klebanoff stated the government- imposed delays have set back the program from nine months to a year, and have thus aggravated the shortage of natural gas in the United States.
Both Mr. Rice and Mr. Klebanoff gave optimistic reports about their company. Ogden Transportation showed a record profit of more than $35 million last year, and expects to set another record this year.
Other stories from March 15, 1977 issue
- IMODCO In Joint Venture For North Sea Operations page: 4
- Navy Awards 8 FFGs To Todd And Bath To Cost $402.5 Million page: 6
- Pietro Campanella Heads New MacGregor Italia Established In Italy page: 6
- Newport News To Build Four More LNG Carriers At Cost Of $800 Million page: 7
- Tidewater Christens M / V Reeves Tide— Halter-Built Oil Field Service Vessel page: 7
- Towing Tank Conference Set For August 23-25 page: 7
- American Ship Receives $20 Million In Contracts For Conversion, Barges page: 8
- De Laval Separator Establishes Marine- Offshore Sales Dept page: 8
- Brown & Root Names Thomas Feehan President page: 9
- Ogden Marine Officials Optimistic About Future page: 10
- United Polish Shipyards Executives Visit U.S.A. page: 11
- Lloyd's Register Studies Deep Oil Technology's Tension Leg Platform page: 12
- CAI Introduces Obsolete Proof 24-Channel SSB page: 12
- Precision's New Brochure Tells How To Cut Costs On Diesel Maintenance page: 14
- Sperry Vickers Names Whited International Planning Manager page: 14
- M.l.T. Schedules Course On Port Development page: 14
- Floyd H. Blaske page: 14
- London-To-Belgium Jetfoil Service Set page: 14
- SNAME Northern California Section Told How To Evaluate Hull Forms j page: 18
- Ameron Div. Announces Nationwide Appointments page: 22
- SNAME President Names Committee Chairmen page: 23
- Cryogenic Structures Receives Contract For LNG Insulation page: 24
- Jones, Bardelmeier Open Singapore Office page: 24
- Bellinger Delivers Ro/Ro Landing Vessel To West India Shipping page: 25
- French Naval Ship Installs AIRFILCO Inert Gas Blanketing System page: 25
- Crude Oil Washing Of Cargo Tanks page: 28
- Third Chesapeake Sailing Yacht Symposium Attracts Over 500 Engineers And Enthusiasts page: 30
- Armco Literature Shows How To Use And Inspect Wire Rope Slings page: 32
- MacGregor To Build Stern Slewing Ramps For 'Multiflex' Ships page: 33
- Glacier Metal Details Line Of Ship Bearings page: 33
- Northville To Engineer Pacific Deepwater Port For Panama Government page: 34
- Gotaas-Larsen Names Proes Senior VP-LNG page: 35
- Midland Enterprises Inc. Elects Three Financial Corporate Officers page: 36
- Det Norske Veritas Forms Maritime Advisory Services Department page: 36
- Propulsion Systems Appoints Eagle Marine Sales Representative page: 37
- CAI Loran A Receiver Is 'Instant Positioner' With Advanced Features page: 38
- ASNE San Diego Section Shown Naval Undersea Center's Operations page: 38
- McGrath Appoints McGoldrick Chairman And Field President page: 39
- Sier-Bath Booklet Describes Barge Pump page: 39
- B. Orsi Joins PFEL In Top Management Spot page: 40
- Waukesha Engine Names Lee Acting President page: 40
- Matson Agencies Name M.L. Shafer Senior VP page: 41
- Great Lakes & European Names Merz Manager European Operations page: 41
- State Boat Elects D.S. Miller President page: 42
- Lykes To Use Barges From French Port For New Service To Arabia page: 42
- National Cargo Bureau Names Guam Surveyor page: 42
- Strachan Announces Four Key Promotions page: 43
- Uniflite Inc. Names Hill Vice President page: 43
- Northeast Marine Elects F.X. McQuade President page: 43