Inert Gas Systems Fitted Aboard Tankers Building At NASSCO
Airfilco Engineering, Inc., 1901 Julia Street, New Orleans, La.
70113, have recently commissioned the first of a series of inert gas systems fitted aboard the Shipmor Associate Tankers building at National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego, Calif.
The decision to fit the inert gas systems was taken during March 1977, and the systems were designed, built, fitted and commissioned before the end of June in order that the first vessel, the Overseas Chicago, could sail for Alaska suitably protected by the inert gas system during its maiden voyage.
John Riley, vice president and general manager for Airfilco, stated that the inert gas systems presently being supplied by Airfilco to the Avondale Shipyards, National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, and Sun Ship would probably be involved in the Alaskan trade, and that particular attention is being concentrated on future servicing and backup, including training facilities for the ship operators.
The inert gas systems have a capacity of 6,200 A.C.F.M. during the capacity tests at National Steel, maintained an overpressure in the cargo spaces of approximately 25 inches of water. This overpressure will assist the pumping process when discharging the Alaskan crude oil, which has a high vapor pressure.
The systems were built in the United States to satisfy the requirements for the Maritime Administration subsidies.
Other stories from August 15, 1977 issue
- U Of Michigan Adds Naval Architecture- Engineering Facilities page: 4
- Micro Line Systems Apply For Title XI For Ro/Ro Containerships page: 7
- Newest Addition To ACBL Towboat Fleet Named For Texas Gas Transmission President page: 10
- Paul-Munroe Acquires Rucker Marine Systems page: 10
- Flume Stabilization Names Peter Maschke page: 10
- Liaison With Maritime Industry Subject Of Stevens Tech Meeting page: 12
- Hydra lift Skegs page: 14
- Northwest Marine Receives Major Navy Contract page: 16
- Genstar To Purchase Gulf Of Georgia Towing page: 16
- James Dunford Named CDI Vice President page: 17
- Prudential Lines Names Karl Eckhardt VP And General Manager page: 18
- Inert Gas Systems Fitted Aboard Tankers Building At NASSCO page: 20
- Rohr Industries Names Filiciotto And Walsh page: 20
- Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Converting Two Bulkers Into Ro/Ro Ships page: 21
- Biehl & Company Announces Managerial Promotions In Houston page: 21
- Airfilco Engineering Names John E. Riley VP And Gen'l Manager page: 22
- Three-Day Weather Conference And Exhibit page: 22
- GT&T Announces Management Changes page: 23
- Pott Industries Inc. Becomes HNG Subsidiary page: 24
- Steamco II, Inc. Opens Office In Jacksonville —Whitney Appointed page: 25
- Underwater Acoustic Explorations At The University Of Rhode Island page: 29
- N.C.S. Of Cairo, Egypt Appoints Pouch Terminal page: 29
- McMullen Assoc. Opens Hampton Roads Office —Joseph Bunting Named page: 30
- Charles Hurd Joins Southwest Marine, Inc. page: 30
- Seaworthy Appoints Patrick J. McAllister page: 31
- Prudential Agrees To Sell South American Shipping Operations page: 31
- ABS Forms 18-Member Hong Kong Technical Committee page: 36
- Great Lakes Steamship Division Of Bethlehem Appoints Roy Dobson page: 38
- Edo Western Corp. New Deep Tow Survey System page: 38
- James Moseley Heads Port Of Jacksonville Propeller Club page: 44
- Carter Group Sees Zapata Rig At Work page: 45
- First International Symposium On Computer Aided Hull-Surface Definition page: 46
- Diving And Insurance Symposium Scheduled Nov. 14-15 In New York page: 46
- Equitable Shipyards, Inc. Ships Last Two In Series Of Five 95-Foot Tugs To Indonesia page: 49
- Electro-Nav's Fifth Annual Navigation And Communications Exhibit Held In New York page: 49
- Butterworth Systems Relocates Headquarters page: 50
- New Engine Room Simulator To Improve Supertanker Training page: 52
- Ohio River Company Towboat M / V Queen City Receives Nation's Highest Safety Award page: 53
- E.R. Remkes Named President Of C-E Crest, Tulsa Engineering Firm page: 53
- Proceedings Of First N.Y. Port Com-Nav Conference Now On Sale page: 54