O&K Will Build Hopper Dredge For Indonesia
O&K Orenstein & Koppel Aktiengesellschaft of Lubeck, West Germany, has received an order for the construction of a hopper suction dredge with a hopper capacity of 4,000 cubic meters. The order was placed by the Ministry of Transport, Communications, and Tourism, Directorate General of Seacommunications, Jakarta, Indonesia.
The dredge will be built under the survey and with the acceptance of Germanischer Lloyd. It will have an overall length of 110 meters, molded beam of 18 meters, and depth of 8 meters (360.9 by 59 by 26.2 feet). Full-load draft will be about 6.25 meters (20.5 feet) and maximum dredging depth will be 20 meters (65.6 feet). Total installed power will be 5,635 kw, and open-water speed a maximum of 12 knots.
Dredge pump operation and main propulsion will be by directdrive diesels. Twin-screw propulsion and an O&K transverse bow thruster will ensure good maneuverability.
The dredge pump driving machinery and the main propulsion plant will be separate installations fore and aft, respectively.
The dredging spoil will be taken in by two side suction pipes and distributed in the hopper by means of a loading box. Hydraulically operated slewing pipes will be provided forward, port and starboard, for thin spoil mixtures.
Above the hopper, a traveling gantry slewing crane with a lifting capacity of 8 tons will be installed to handle necessary work on deck and on the dredge pumps.
All dredging gear is controlled centrally from two dredgemaster's stations on the bridge. The new dredge will have air-conditioned quarters for a crew of 56.
Other stories from July 15, 1980 issue
- Hitachi Receives First U.S. Order For Two Jackup Drilling Rigs page: 7
- Mangone Delivers Advanced Offshore Research Vessel page: 8
- Fireboat Gulf Fleet No. 40— 100th Vessel Joins A Growing Fleet page: 10
- O&K Will Build Hopper Dredge For Indonesia page: 10
- New Primary Battery Introduced By SAFT —Literature Available page: 12
- Two New Contracts For Drill Barge And Jackup Won By Promet Private page: 12
- W.L. Rose Jr. Named President Of Williams-McWilliams page: 15
- Samson Offers New Shear Pin Shackle- Literature Available page: 15
- Canada's Arctic Pilot Project page: 16
- Two Naval Architects Join Waller & Assoc. page: 18
- Bill Cleary Honored By AWO Board, Moynihan page: 18
- Brochure Available On Norshipco's Three Expanded Shipyards page: 22
- Cliff Drown Named New President Of State Boat page: 22
- Steam Engine Literature Available From Skinner page: 22
- Butterworth Introduces Marine Liqua-Blaster —Literature Available page: 24
- Firm Changes Name To Houston Marine Services page: 24
- Jurgen Manske Named Representative For Hapag-Lloyd Service page: 24
- Leggett, Lowen And Singman Named To NMC Board Of Governors page: 25
- French And Campbell Named To Head NMC Shipyard Council page: 27
- Lockheed Places $8.6-Million Order For Colt/Pielstick Diesel Engines page: 28
- McDermott Scotland Gets $92-Million Contract From Marathon Oil U.K. page: 30
- Maintenance Guide For Shipboard Officers Offered By Chesterton page: 30
- 100,000-dwt Floating Dry Dock Increases HUD's Tsing Yi Capacity page: 33
- Literature Available On Foxboro's New On-Line Ferrograph page: 33
- Innovative Tugboat #Jekyll Isle7 Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 34
- Dixie Ships First Of 5 New Dredges To The Egyptian Dredging Co. page: 34
- Fuel Conservation Subject Of N.Y. SNAME Symposium Sept. 22-23 page: 35
- New Crew/Supply Vessel 'Audrey' Powered By Four MTU Diesels page: 40
- Caicos Petroleum Services Establishes Transfer Facility page: 41
- Title XI Approval For Three Product Carriers To Cost $197 Million page: 42
- Title XI Sought For 20 Barges And 3 Towboats page: 42
- Ingram Exploration Names Thomas M. Ellis Jr. VP Of Exploration page: 43
- Atlantic Marine To Build Two NSF Research Ships At Cost Of $5.9 Million page: 43
- Pielstick Diesels To Power French Navy And Yugoslavian Vessels page: 44
- Swanson Promoted To VP & General Manager Of Dillingham Shipyard page: 45
- Orders For Six Ships To Cost $180 Million Placed By Cast Group page: 45
- Proposed Shipboard Maneuvering Data page: 46
- J.R. Mills Appointed At New Allis-Chalmers Marine Diesel Division page: 48
- Sartor And Jones Promoted To New Posts At Farrell Lines page: 49
- Electro-Nav Acquires Marine Division Of British Electronics Firm page: 49
- SNAME Chesapeake Section Hears Update Report On Design Of Multipurpose Mobilization Ship page: 50
- AFO Shipyards Appoints Representative For U.S. And Canada page: 51
- NASSCO Lays Keel For Second Union Oil Product Carrier page: 52
- Levingston To Build $37-Million Jackup Rig For Noble Drilling Corp. page: 54
- O&K Shipyard Delivers Offshore Crane Platform Designed By RSV Gusto page: 54
- Submersible Deck Cargo Barge Delivered To Nedbarges Sublift page: 58
- Mangone Launches Special Purpose Tanker For Sun Transport page: 58
- Offshore Construction For $50-Million Pipeline Goes To J. Ray McDermott page: 59