NASSCO Lays Keel For Second Union Oil Product Carrier
A recent keel-laying ceremony at National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO), San Diego, initiated construction of the second of three 37,500-dwt product carriers being built for Union Oil Company of California.
E.P. Barnett, vice president, refinery and supply, Union Oil Company, and D.L. Hanley, senior vice president, Western Region, Union Oil Company, together struck the initial arcs, signaling the beginning of construction. Richard H.
Vortmann, executive vice president, represented NASSCO in the keel-laying ceremony.
The product carriers are a new NASSCO design designated as the Carlsbad Class. They will be 658 feet in length, 100 feet in beam, have a 33-foot draft, and will carry 250,000 barrels of refined petroleum and petrochemical products from refineries to distribution centers.
The vessels will incorporate the most modern equipment available, and will meet the latest safety and environmental protection standards including double bottoms, a clean segregated ballast system, an inert gas system, a sewage treatment plant, collision-avoidance radar, and a backup steering system. They will have steam turbine engines.
The first product carrier is scheduled for delivery in April 1981. It will be used to transport oil products from Union Oil's Beaumont, Texas, refinery to terminals on the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts.
NASSCO currently has under contract five Navy ships, an oil tanker, and four product carriers.
The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Morrison-Knudsen Company, Inc., Boise, Idaho.
Other stories from July 15, 1980 issue
- Hitachi Receives First U.S. Order For Two Jackup Drilling Rigs page: 7
- Mangone Delivers Advanced Offshore Research Vessel page: 8
- Fireboat Gulf Fleet No. 40— 100th Vessel Joins A Growing Fleet page: 10
- O&K Will Build Hopper Dredge For Indonesia page: 10
- New Primary Battery Introduced By SAFT —Literature Available page: 12
- Two New Contracts For Drill Barge And Jackup Won By Promet Private page: 12
- W.L. Rose Jr. Named President Of Williams-McWilliams page: 15
- Samson Offers New Shear Pin Shackle- Literature Available page: 15
- Canada's Arctic Pilot Project page: 16
- Two Naval Architects Join Waller & Assoc. page: 18
- Bill Cleary Honored By AWO Board, Moynihan page: 18
- Brochure Available On Norshipco's Three Expanded Shipyards page: 22
- Cliff Drown Named New President Of State Boat page: 22
- Steam Engine Literature Available From Skinner page: 22
- Butterworth Introduces Marine Liqua-Blaster —Literature Available page: 24
- Firm Changes Name To Houston Marine Services page: 24
- Jurgen Manske Named Representative For Hapag-Lloyd Service page: 24
- Leggett, Lowen And Singman Named To NMC Board Of Governors page: 25
- French And Campbell Named To Head NMC Shipyard Council page: 27
- Lockheed Places $8.6-Million Order For Colt/Pielstick Diesel Engines page: 28
- McDermott Scotland Gets $92-Million Contract From Marathon Oil U.K. page: 30
- Maintenance Guide For Shipboard Officers Offered By Chesterton page: 30
- 100,000-dwt Floating Dry Dock Increases HUD's Tsing Yi Capacity page: 33
- Literature Available On Foxboro's New On-Line Ferrograph page: 33
- Innovative Tugboat #Jekyll Isle7 Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 34
- Dixie Ships First Of 5 New Dredges To The Egyptian Dredging Co. page: 34
- Fuel Conservation Subject Of N.Y. SNAME Symposium Sept. 22-23 page: 35
- New Crew/Supply Vessel 'Audrey' Powered By Four MTU Diesels page: 40
- Caicos Petroleum Services Establishes Transfer Facility page: 41
- Title XI Approval For Three Product Carriers To Cost $197 Million page: 42
- Title XI Sought For 20 Barges And 3 Towboats page: 42
- Ingram Exploration Names Thomas M. Ellis Jr. VP Of Exploration page: 43
- Atlantic Marine To Build Two NSF Research Ships At Cost Of $5.9 Million page: 43
- Pielstick Diesels To Power French Navy And Yugoslavian Vessels page: 44
- Swanson Promoted To VP & General Manager Of Dillingham Shipyard page: 45
- Orders For Six Ships To Cost $180 Million Placed By Cast Group page: 45
- Proposed Shipboard Maneuvering Data page: 46
- J.R. Mills Appointed At New Allis-Chalmers Marine Diesel Division page: 48
- Sartor And Jones Promoted To New Posts At Farrell Lines page: 49
- Electro-Nav Acquires Marine Division Of British Electronics Firm page: 49
- SNAME Chesapeake Section Hears Update Report On Design Of Multipurpose Mobilization Ship page: 50
- AFO Shipyards Appoints Representative For U.S. And Canada page: 51
- NASSCO Lays Keel For Second Union Oil Product Carrier page: 52
- Levingston To Build $37-Million Jackup Rig For Noble Drilling Corp. page: 54
- O&K Shipyard Delivers Offshore Crane Platform Designed By RSV Gusto page: 54
- Submersible Deck Cargo Barge Delivered To Nedbarges Sublift page: 58
- Mangone Launches Special Purpose Tanker For Sun Transport page: 58
- Offshore Construction For $50-Million Pipeline Goes To J. Ray McDermott page: 59