Mangone Launches Special Purpose Tanker For Sun Transport
Mangone Shipbuilding of Houston has launched a 245-foot special purpose vessel being built for Sun Transport, a division of Sun International, Inc. The Northern Sun (shown above), ABS classed A-l oil carrier Maltese Cross AMS, is a self-propelled twinscrew motor tank vessel. It will be delivered late this summer and will work inland and offshore in Sun T r a n s p o r t ' s U.S. Atlantic Coast operations. Mangone is a subsidiary of Stewart and Stevenson Services, Inc.
Overall measurements are 245 feet 6 inches by 45 feet by 19 feet 3 inches (74 by 13.5 by 5.8 meters) with a design draft of 14 feet 6 inches (4.4 meters). Powered by two GM EMD 8-645 E 7 diesels producing 1,900 total horsepower, the ship will operate at a service speed of about 12 knots. Accommodations are for eight crewmen.
The new vessel will have a cargo capacity of 21,549 barrels grade B oil products in 10 tanks in three segregated sections. For cargo unloading, there are three d i e s e l - d r i v e n deepwell pumps rated at 2,100 gpm at 125 psi aboard.
Mangone v i c e president Don Godeau said the ship will be the first of its kind intended for U.S.
operation and will combine offshore/ oceangoing capabilities with the size and maneuverability to navigate inland waterways and canals. The vessel will be U.S.
Coast Guard certificated.
Ship's electronics will include Sperry gyro, Sperry autopilot, Loran C, Fathometer, two radar units, ADF, two VHF radio sets, and SSB. The vessel will also be equipped with two 125-kw dieseldriven generators and a 35-kw standby generator.
Other stories from July 15, 1980 issue
- Hitachi Receives First U.S. Order For Two Jackup Drilling Rigs page: 7
- Mangone Delivers Advanced Offshore Research Vessel page: 8
- Fireboat Gulf Fleet No. 40— 100th Vessel Joins A Growing Fleet page: 10
- O&K Will Build Hopper Dredge For Indonesia page: 10
- New Primary Battery Introduced By SAFT —Literature Available page: 12
- Two New Contracts For Drill Barge And Jackup Won By Promet Private page: 12
- W.L. Rose Jr. Named President Of Williams-McWilliams page: 15
- Samson Offers New Shear Pin Shackle- Literature Available page: 15
- Canada's Arctic Pilot Project page: 16
- Two Naval Architects Join Waller & Assoc. page: 18
- Bill Cleary Honored By AWO Board, Moynihan page: 18
- Brochure Available On Norshipco's Three Expanded Shipyards page: 22
- Cliff Drown Named New President Of State Boat page: 22
- Steam Engine Literature Available From Skinner page: 22
- Butterworth Introduces Marine Liqua-Blaster —Literature Available page: 24
- Firm Changes Name To Houston Marine Services page: 24
- Jurgen Manske Named Representative For Hapag-Lloyd Service page: 24
- Leggett, Lowen And Singman Named To NMC Board Of Governors page: 25
- French And Campbell Named To Head NMC Shipyard Council page: 27
- Lockheed Places $8.6-Million Order For Colt/Pielstick Diesel Engines page: 28
- McDermott Scotland Gets $92-Million Contract From Marathon Oil U.K. page: 30
- Maintenance Guide For Shipboard Officers Offered By Chesterton page: 30
- 100,000-dwt Floating Dry Dock Increases HUD's Tsing Yi Capacity page: 33
- Literature Available On Foxboro's New On-Line Ferrograph page: 33
- Innovative Tugboat #Jekyll Isle7 Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 34
- Dixie Ships First Of 5 New Dredges To The Egyptian Dredging Co. page: 34
- Fuel Conservation Subject Of N.Y. SNAME Symposium Sept. 22-23 page: 35
- New Crew/Supply Vessel 'Audrey' Powered By Four MTU Diesels page: 40
- Caicos Petroleum Services Establishes Transfer Facility page: 41
- Title XI Approval For Three Product Carriers To Cost $197 Million page: 42
- Title XI Sought For 20 Barges And 3 Towboats page: 42
- Ingram Exploration Names Thomas M. Ellis Jr. VP Of Exploration page: 43
- Atlantic Marine To Build Two NSF Research Ships At Cost Of $5.9 Million page: 43
- Pielstick Diesels To Power French Navy And Yugoslavian Vessels page: 44
- Swanson Promoted To VP & General Manager Of Dillingham Shipyard page: 45
- Orders For Six Ships To Cost $180 Million Placed By Cast Group page: 45
- Proposed Shipboard Maneuvering Data page: 46
- J.R. Mills Appointed At New Allis-Chalmers Marine Diesel Division page: 48
- Sartor And Jones Promoted To New Posts At Farrell Lines page: 49
- Electro-Nav Acquires Marine Division Of British Electronics Firm page: 49
- SNAME Chesapeake Section Hears Update Report On Design Of Multipurpose Mobilization Ship page: 50
- AFO Shipyards Appoints Representative For U.S. And Canada page: 51
- NASSCO Lays Keel For Second Union Oil Product Carrier page: 52
- Levingston To Build $37-Million Jackup Rig For Noble Drilling Corp. page: 54
- O&K Shipyard Delivers Offshore Crane Platform Designed By RSV Gusto page: 54
- Submersible Deck Cargo Barge Delivered To Nedbarges Sublift page: 58
- Mangone Launches Special Purpose Tanker For Sun Transport page: 58
- Offshore Construction For $50-Million Pipeline Goes To J. Ray McDermott page: 59