Largest DMI Dredge Delivered To Mexican Owner
DredgeMasters International, Inc. (DMI), the Hendersonville, Tenn., subsidiary of Valley Industries, recently christened the newest and largest dredge in its line of heavy duty dredges. The model HPC-27DR DuraMaster dredge was christened in a ceremony at La Place, La., staged by DredgeMasters, the manufacturer; Kenner Marine, Inc., the erector; and Construcciones Fluviales Y Maritimas (COFYMA), the owner, which is a division of Protexa.
The dredge (shown left) was christened Irma by Humberto Lobo president of the Protexa Group, and his wife Irma De La Garza De Lobo, for whom the dredge is named. The ceremony featured remarks by Don C. Killom, presiident of DredgeMasters International ; Arnoldo Gallont, director of COFYMA's dredging division; Dr. Salvador Garcia Vargas, Mexican vice consul in New Orleans; and Mr. Lobo. The American flag was lowered and the Mexican flag was raised on the vessel prior to a blessing by Father Boudreaux of New Orleans.
The Irma has an overall length of 163 feet, beam of 34.75 feet, and maximum draft of about 6 feet. The 7 5 - f o o t ladder can dredge to a depth of 53 feet at an angle of 45 degrees and to 65 feet at an angle of 60 degrees.
The vessel's main power is supplied by a GM Electro-Motive Division 20-645 E4B diesel; auxiliary power comes from two Caterpillar D-399 diesels and one Cat 3408 engine.
The main pump is a DMI HydraMaster HDM80-32x27; it has a suction diameter of 31 inches, discharge diameter of 27 inches, and impeller diameter of 80 inches.
The 2-drum swing winch is rated 65,000 pounds and the ladder winch has a rating of 49,450 pounds.
Others who attended the christening ceremony and reception that followed included Carl Hakenjos, president, and George Watts, executive secretary of the Western Dredging Association.
Protexa was also represented by Hernan Gonzalez, director of the construction division; George Littlefield, maintenance manager; and Guillermo Trevino, purchasing manager.
Other stories from July 15, 1981 issue
- Bay Building Barge With First Conveyor To Handle Wet Phosphate Rock page: 6
- Robert Ware Establishes His Own Maritime Public Relations Service page: 7
- Circular Detailing New Suez Canal Regulations Available From Candia page: 7
- IMODCO Receives Order From Petrobras For $5-Million SPM Terminal page: 7
- Wartsila Turku Shipyards Delivers Superferry 'Silvia Regina' page: 8
- U.S. Combat Systems In Foreign Built Ships Topic At ASNE Meeting page: 8
- Puget Sound Tug & Barge Will Build 12 Barges Costing $39.5 Million page: 9
- Seaco Energy/Coastal Carriers Joint Venture Plans Floating Terminals page: 9
- First Of New Destroyer Class Commissioned At Ingalls Yard page: 10
- Santa Fe Diving Services Awarded Contract To Provide RCV And Crew page: 10
- National Steel Lays Keel For U.S. Navy Cable Repair Vessel page: 10
- Second Crandali Dock At National Sea Products Yard Rebuilt And Enlarged page: 12
- Anthony McAllister Jr. Elected Chairman Of New York Towboat Association page: 14
- $172-Million Navy Order To Bell For New Type Landing Craft page: 14
- Theriot-Modec To Build Ammonia Barge For Energy Transportation Subsidiary page: 15
- Edward Campbell Named To Board Of Trustees At Webb Institute page: 15
- $140-Million Contract For Two Offshore Rigs Awarded To Gotaverken Arendal Shipyard page: 16
- Benson, Basse And David Join Tampa Barge In Management & Production page: 16
- Delaware Valley ASNE Chapter Discusses Government Contracting page: 16
- Hudson Delivers The 'Gulf Dolphin7 To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 18
- Third Seaboard RO/RO Ordered At Fredriksstad Yard Will Have MacGregor Hoistable Decks page: 18
- Grumman Hydrofoil For Israel Launched At Lantana Boatyard page: 20
- Dravo-Built Towboats For China Get A Lift From Dock Express page: 20
- Petronio Elected VP-Engineering At Pool Company Of Houston page: 21
- Two MARCO Oil Skimmers Delivered To Mexican Navy page: 21
- David Taylor Naval R&D Center Hosts Hydromechanics Meeting page: 22
- W.B. Buhrmann Elected President Of Newly Formed U.S. Steel Companies page: 24
- Valley Line Asks Title XI For $90.1-Million Barge And Towboat Project page: 24
- Petro Marine Services To Build $25-Million Shipyard In Alaska page: 26
- Riverway Completes Second Drydock For Its Own Repair Division page: 27
- New Brochure Describes National Crane's Line Of Marine Lifting Systems page: 27
- Shipyard Conference Honors Past Chairmen McKay And Pirozzolo page: 28
- HUDSHIP To Build Four Big Towing/Supply Vessels For Zapata page: 29
- U.S. And Canada Agree To Cooperate In Marine Transportation R &D page: 34
- Philadelphia Resins' New Brochure Describes The Company And Its Products page: 34
- Griffin & Alexander Jackup Rig Commissioned At Bethlehem-Beaumont page: 35
- Lima Electric Announces New Model Alternator- Literature Available page: 35
- Raytheon Opens New Marine Sales And Service Facility In Mississippi page: 36
- Partnership Between AMCA International & McDermott Formally In Business page: 36
- Seminars On Rig Moves Organized By Marine Design International page: 37
- Dome Acquires Davie Shipbuilding At Total Cost Of $38.6 Million page: 38
- Riverway Shipyard Delivers GM-Powered Towboat 'Waterways Explorer7 page: 38
- Largest DMI Dredge Delivered To Mexican Owner page: 39
- Rubber Fendering Reduces Damage To Vessels And Piers page: 40
- Sembawang Yard Completes Multimillion-Dollar Overhaul Job On McDermott Barge page: 40
- APL Ready To Build 45-Foot Production Unit Containers page: 41
- Tracor Marine Awarded $2.5-Million Navy Contract To Manage OCEI Facilities page: 42
- Ned Smith Named Vice President-Finance For American Steamship page: 42
- Dravo To Provide People's Republic With Technical Assistance And Equipment page: 42
- McDermott Incorporated Promotes Four To « Vice President Posts page: 43
- Multipurpose Cargo Vessel Launched At GHH Sterkrade Yard page: 44
- New York Maritime Day Ceremonies Featured Presentation Of Two Awards page: 58
- Todd Shipyards Awarded Navy Study Contract On DDGX Producibility page: 58
- Butterworth Tank Washing Machines Ordered For Eight New Product Carriers page: 59
- Bulk Carrier 'Star Of Texas7 Launched At Levingston Yard page: 59