Boghammar Marine Delivers Light-Alloy Pilot Boat
The Swedish company Boghammar Marine AB of Lidingo, near Stockholm, recently delivered the new 40-foot light-alloy pilot boat Turnstone to the Mersey Dock & Harbour Company of Liverpool, England. The new Volvo-Penta-powered vessel has a beam of about 13 feet, draft of 29.5 feet, and an all-up weight of 10 tons. The two Volvo Penta TAMD 70E marine diesels are each rated at 198 kw (270 hp) for medium duty operation.
During sea trials with six people onboard, the boat achieved a speed of over 20 knots.
The Turnstone's design differs from that of the earlier Swedish pilot boats in a number of aspects. To allow the vessel to better cope with the seas running off Liverpool, a second knuckle or chine was built into the hull. The interior layout was changed to meet customer specification, and a small cabin forward of the engines was equipped with pantry and toilet.
Designed to accommodate a coxswain, crewman and four pilots, the Turnstone was delivered from the builder fully equipped except for its radar set which will be fitted in Liverpool.
The radar mounting support and cabling was already installed.
Boghammar Marine, formed in 1970, is a wholly owned manufacturing subsidiary of Gustafson & Anderssons Varv AB, a company that built its first light-alloy boat in 1928. The company compiled the first International Rules for Building Light-Alloy Boats, for the ICOMIA.
Other stories from August 15, 1984 issue
- Captain Osborne Joins Port of San Francisco page: 6
- NMEA Names Gutman President, And Carney Executive Director page: 7
- ASMAR Delivers Dona Eugenia page: 7
- New Airfoil Design Makes Wind-Powered Ships Viable For Commercial Shipping page: 10
- Boghammar Marine Delivers Light-Alloy Pilot Boat page: 10
- Organizational Changes Are Announced By Newport News Shipbuilding page: 11
- New Dry Dock Delivered To Southwest Marine page: 12
- North American Marine Jet Purchases Jacuzzi Marine Jet Line page: 12
- Crude Oil Tanker Exxon Baytown Christened At Avondale Shipyards page: 13
- RFD-Elliot Offers Catalogs Describing Elliot Product Line page: 14
- Edwards Will Succeed Stonebreaker As President Of Halter Marine page: 14
- Mirrlees Offers Brochure On Its K&KV Major Mk3 Diesel Engine Range page: 14
- SEACOR Wins Contracts Worth $8.4 Million page: 15
- Seaworthy And Bethlehem Steel Offer An Innovative 1,500-TEU Class Convertible Container Carrier page: 16
- Tyne Shiprepair Wins Contract To Rebuild The Sir Tristram page: 17
- Ingram Barge Company Names New President page: 17
- McDermott Announces Transfer Of Two Senior Managers page: 18
- NAVY WORK IN PRIVATE U.S. YARDS page: 20
- it UNITED WE STAND 99 - A Call To Membership In The National Ocean Industries Association page: 31
- McDermott Delivers First Jumboized Crowley Barge — Gets Contract To "Stretch" Three Additional Units page: 34
- Todd Seattle A w a r d ed $500,000 Phase I Contract For LCAC Program page: 35
- Lykes A w a r d s $ 1 5 0 - M i l l i on C o n t r a c t To Build Four C o n t a i n e r s h i p s In Japan page: 35
- ASTECH Offers Literature On Lightweight Steel Honeycomb Structures page: 36
- OUTSTANDING WARSHIP DESIGNS page: 38
- U.S. NAVY SHIPBUILDING PROGRAM page: 44
- M a c G r e g o r - N a v i re President Hanson Dies Suddenly page: 51
- Navidyne Study Shows New Satcom Antennas Save Shipowners Money page: 51
- Ferrous Offers Literature On Catalyst Proportioning Pump And Depulsing Unit page: 51
- NMEA Annual Meeting Set For Oct. 14-16 In Boston page: 52
- Bowditch Introduces New Navigation And Piloting Aid page: 52
- Danos & Curole Christen Jackup Barge Alyce Danos page: 52
- Dahl To Market New Improved Racor Replacement Elements page: 53
- Baatservice Building Big Catamaran Survey Vessel page: 53
- McDermott-Built Barge Uses Markey Machinery Windlass And Capstans page: 54
- PRC Reports On Navy Use Of PRORECO III Deck System page: 54
- Coflexip Flexible Pipe Riser Used In Test Program By Navy page: 57
- Meyer Werft Delivers Gas Carrier And Gets Contract For Cruise Liner page: 58