Gerard M. McAllister 1910-1984
Gerard M. McAllister, retired executive vice president and general counsel of McAllister Brothers Inc.
of New York City, one of the largest towing and marine transportation companies in the world, died recently at his home in Avon, Conn. He was 74 years old and also lived in Lost Tree, Fla.
Mr. McAllister was one of 10 children of James P. McAllister, the eldest son of Capt. James P.
McAllister who founded the family company and put the first McAllister tugboat to work in New York Harbor in 1864.
Mr. McAllister, who joined the family company in 1936 and retired in 1974, was born in Brooklyn and graduated from Georgetown University and Fordham Law School.
Before joining the company he was a partner in the law firm of Dow & McAllister. He was a former director of the New York Board of Trade, and a past chairman of the marine division of the Board's transportation section.
Mr. McAllister is survived by his wife, Claire Tierney McAllister; a daughter, Jered Ann Lynch; two sons, Peter B. and Steven M.; three sisters, Isabel Etzel, Joan Smith, and Justine Roach; a brother, James P.; and nine grandchildren.
Other stories from January 1985 issue
- Call For Papers Issued By SNAME New England For Computer Symposium page: 4
- Newman's Revises Catalog On NEWCO Cast Steel/ Pressure Seal Valves page: 5
- Couch Named President Of Matson Navigation— Wasacz President Of A&B page: 5
- SecNav Lehman Announces Contract Awards Totaling Almost $2 Billion page: 5
- Perkins Joins Seaward International As Senior Sales Engineer page: 6
- Hyde Names Two New Vice Presidents page: 6
- Another Fast Delaware Pilots Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn Yard page: 6
- Shaft Coupling Saves Time And Money For Northwest Boatbuilder page: 7
- Hyundai To Build Four Rigs For ODECO At Total Cost Of $260 Million page: 7
- RDI Announces $15-Million Agreement With China For Electronic Shipping Safety Systems page: 7
- 1985 A YEAR OF CHANGE AND CHALLENGE page: 8
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Attack Submarine 'Olympia' page: 8
- Fifth Generation Of Family Named To Executive Posts At Hughes Companies page: 8
- Butterworth Announces A New SCAMP Underwater Hull Cleaning Station page: 8
- New Chief Seattle Fireboat Provides High-Speed Response page: 10
- New York Port Engineers' Society Tours MarineSafety Simulators page: 11
- Todd Awarded $30 Million By Navy To Modify First Aviation Support Vessel page: 11
- Armco Offers Brochure On Bigger And Better Aquamet Boat Shafting page: 12
- Recent Order For Two Schottel Thruster Units A First In U.S. Market page: 13
- Weld Fittings Available From Cajon Company page: 13
- Marystown Shipyard Building 225-Foot Deutz-Powered Tug/Supply Vessel page: 14
- COMPUTERIZED VESSEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS page: 14
- BIW Will Get $383.6-Million Navy Contract To Build Two Aegis CG-47 Cruisers page: 15
- OUTSTANDING OFFSHORE/SHALLOW-DRAFT VESSELS OF 1984 page: 16
- Marconi Introduces The New Oceanray SAT-COM page: 22
- Ingram Purchases Assets Of Ohio Barge Line And Mon-Valley Transportation page: 22
- Bay-Houston Towing Offers 'Port Reference Handbook' For Six Gulf Ports page: 23
- Eisert Named To Head General Electric's New Navy Programs Section page: 26
- Daewoo To Build Tanker For Norwegian Company For $40 Million page: 26
- Tracor Marine Awarded $2.5-Million MSC Contract To Operate Research Ship page: 28
- Navy Awards Bell Aerospace Textron $27.3-Million Contract For New Minesweeper Hunter page: 28
- Gerard M. McAllister 1910-1984 page: 29
- Diesel Engine Manufacturers Continue To Improve The Fuel Efficiency Of Their Engines page: 30
- KHD Introduces Two Systems For Worldwide Engine Monitoring Via Satellite Communications page: 45
- Sea Data Corporation Introduces Deep Sea Instrumentation Cable page: 46
- Kastalon Offers New Brochure On Polyurethane Crane Bumpers page: 47
- Goodway Offers New Catalog On Tube Cleaning Systems And Pressure Washers page: 47
- Armco And Oerlikon Sign Joint Manufacturing/ Marketing Agreement page: 48
- Carroll And Tomlin Named Vice Presidents At National Marine's Shipyard Division page: 49
- Puroflow Marine Introduces New Integrated Power-Line Protection System page: 53
- Navy's New Double-Deck Pier To Be Fitted With Sea Guard Fenders page: 53
- Rockwell Offers Brochure On Autonetics Division's Products And Capabilities page: 59
- New Quick-Connects Introduced By Crawford Fitting Co. page: 59