Bird-Johnson To Expand Pascagoula Facility
Bird-Johnson Company's Pascagoula, Miss., plant manager Jim Elliott has announced plans to expand their marine propeller manufacturing plant to meet the demands of new orders. The current 43,000-square-foot facility, which houses a modern foundry as well as a complete propeller machining and repair shop, will be enlarged by 15,000 square feet. About 9,000 square feet will accommodate a realignment of the molding stations in the foundry area and double potential monobloc propeller and controllable pitch propeller blade production.
The other 6,000 square feet will be added to the machining area.
Construction will begin immediately and is slated for completion in May 1989.
The expansion was necessitated by record sales in 1987 and 1988.
During 1988 alone, Pascagoula has received 30 of 37 spare marine propeller orders placed by The Naval Sea Systems Command (NavSea).
Recent NavSea orders have included spare propellers for the LKA Charleston class amphibious cargo ships, LCC Blue Ridge class amphibious command ships, FF 1052 Knox class frigates and the CV 67 John F. Kennedy class multipurpose aircraft carriers.
In addition to the NavSea orders, Bird-Johnson's Pascagoula operation is working on new construction propeller orders for several U.S. and foreign customers and are pouring controllable pitch propeller (CPP) blades for both intracompany and outside customer CPP system production.
With orders booked into the 1990s, they have the largest work backlog in their history and expect to increase their personnel base by 20 before the end of 1989 to meet the demand. This will reflect a near tripling of staff since Bird- Johnson's 1986 acquisition of the facility.
Bird-Johnson Company has been a world leader in the manufacture of CPP systems for over 30 years.
Since their 1986 purchase of the former Pascagoula and Seattle, Wash., Coolidge fixed pitch propeller manufacturing plants they have become the only fully integrated marine propeller manufacturer in the U.S.
Bird-Johnson Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Axel Johnson Inc., a privately held, multi-industry corporation headquartered in New York.
For more information and free literature on Bird-Johnson, Circle 66 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from February 1989 issue
- Shipyard Opened By North Carolina DOT; Features New Synchrolift page: 4
- Unitor Announces New Owner Structure page: 5
- Marine Electric Moves To New Facilities; Divides Into Three Separate Firms page: 5
- Caterpillar Wins $1.4-Million Navy Mine Plow Contract page: 5
- PACECO Acquired By Mitsui Engineering —Literature Available page: 6
- HMS Marine Hardware Offers Smoke-Gard Curtains For Shipboard Smoke Containment Uses page: 6
- Sperry Marine Offers Six-Page Full-Color Brochure On RASCAR page: 7
- MMC Offers Free Catalog On Tank Gauging Tapes And Vapor Control Valves page: 8
- Southern Shipbuilding Completes Conversion Of Hopper Dredge page: 9
- Bird-Johnson To Expand Pascagoula Facility page: 9
- Lister Chain To Open U.S. Anchor Chain Plant —Literature Available page: 10
- Compact Weather Facsimile From Raytheon Can Be Programmed For Unattended Operation page: 10
- Valve Cage Repairing: An Example Of MWH's Service To The Customer page: 10
- Runyan Machine Completes Conversion Of Supply Boat Into Passenger Vessel page: 11
- Willcox North America Opens New Service Center —Literature Offered page: 11
- CANADIAN MARITIME INDUSTRIES ASSOCIATION'S 41st ANNUAL TECHNICAL CONFERENCE AND CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING & OFFSHORE EXHIBITION page: 12
- Call For Papers For Symposium On National Shipbuilding Research page: 12
- Shieldings To Buy Versatile Pacific page: 12
- SPD Technologies Marks First Full Year And 100th Anniversary In Ceremonies page: 13
- New US-China Pact Offers Opportunities To Shipping Lines page: 14
- SPD Technologies Completes Acquisition Of Dyncorp Unit page: 15
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 16
- Leevac Awarded Conversion Contracts —Literature Available page: 24
- Carrier Transicold Offers Free Marine Refrigeration Sales & Service Directory page: 25
- McDermott Signs Letter Of Intent To Acquire Avondale Offshore Division Assets page: 25
- Textron Marine Wins LCAC Program Contracts Worth $225 Million page: 26
- ITT Antarctic Seeks Bids For Charter/Purchase Of Icebreaker For NSF page: 26
- LONG TERM OUTLOOK FOR U.S. NAVY SHIPBUILDING page: 29
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 35
- Lightweight Lifting Slings From Slingmax Rigging Products Used In Navy Ship Launching page: 42
- PROMISING FUTURE FOR CANADIAN NAVAL SHIPBUILDING page: 44
- Avondale Shipyards Christens USS Tortuga (LSD-46) For Navy page: 46
- MSI Offers Naval And Commercial Training At Simulator Complex page: 47
- Trinity Marine Group Acquires Lockheed Shipbuilding Yard page: 48
- Avondale Christens U.S. Navy Fleet Oiler, USNS Leroy Grumman (T-AO-195) page: 48
- Colonna's Begins Repair Of U.S. Navy Frigate Under $3-Million Contract page: 48
- Versatile Pacific Delivers Arctic Icebreaker 'Henry Larsen' To Canadian Coast Guard page: 51
- Nichols Brothers Delivers High-Speed Army Catamaran For Use In Marshall Islands page: 51
- Cunico Offers Free 60-Page Catalog On Fittings And Flanges page: 52
- SNAME Section Calls For Papers For Ice Tech Symposium page: 52
- Renk Tacke Reports Over 100 RCF Gears Sold To Date page: 52
- Recent U.S. Navy Flag Officer Nominations page: 53
- Schoellhorn-Albrecht Under New Leadership page: 53
- Furuno Introduces New Products; Is Now Distributor For Lokata EPIRBs page: 54
- Color Brochure Offered On New High-Tech Marine Repair Lift page: 54
- Leslie Controls Introduces New SDM 5000 Flow Computer page: 54
- Cooper Bearing Offers Free Catalog, Booklet On Marine Roller Bearings page: 55
- CTI Industries Names Jeff Longmore Manager, Coatings Division page: 56
- B&W Product Tanker 'Petrobulk Mars' Is First Ship Ever To Be Equipped With One-Man Operated Bridge page: 56
- Electric Boat To Build First Seawolf Submarine Under $726-Million Pact page: 57
- Free 88-Page Catalog On Product Lines Offered By Crosby Group page: 57
- Voith Receives Orders For Four Water Tractors page: 58
- MagneTek ALS Adds Pease, Rizzotti To Staff page: 59
- Dehumidification, Sealing, Monitoring System Installed On MSC Ship By L&C page: 59
- Volvo Penta Enters New Market Segment For Workboat Engines With 16-Liter Marine Diesel page: 61
- Zodiac Hurricane RIBs Ideal For Use As Rescue Craft page: 63
- Mid-Coast Marine Lengthens And Modifies Fishing Vessel Pegasus page: 63
- Kockums Receives $2.7 Million In Orders For Steerbear Systems page: 63
- New Color Video Sounder From Raytheon Offers Advanced Multi-Screen Presentations page: 65
- Siemens Offers Free 100-Page Catalog On Contractors And Starters page: 65
- National Forge Wins Navy Contracts Totaling More Than $28 Million page: 66
- Boston Whaler Introduces 36-Foot Welded Aluminum Patrol Boat 'Defiance' page: 71
- Haynes Buys Bendix Industrial Diesel Fuel Injection System Product Line page: 71
- Swagelok Offers Literature On Quick-Connects For Corrosive Applications page: 71
- Viking Introduces Ship Evacuation Slide page: 74
- 'Immersion' Suits Replace Outdated 'Exposure' Suits page: 75
- Repair Of Naval Vessel Aided By Power Team Hydraulic Rams page: 76