Versatile Pacific Delivers Arctic Icebreaker 'Henry Larsen' To Canadian Coast Guard
The Northern Vancouver yard of Versatile Pacific Shipyards, Inc.
(VPSI) has delivered the Type 1200 Arctic Class 4 icebreaker Henry Larsen to the Canadian Coast Guard. She is now in operation providing large vessel escort service in the Gulf of St. Lawrence during the winter months and in the Eastern Arctic in the summer months.
Commenting on the delivery of the Henry Larsen, David Alsop, president and chief executive officer of VPSI, said the ship performed well during her sea trials and "we are confident the Government of Canada and the Coast Guard are taking delivery of a first class vessel that will meet all expectations." As reported in the September issue of MARITIME REPORTER, the Henry Larsen is 327.5 feet long, has a beam of 64.6 feet and displacement of 8,290 tons at a draft of 23.7 feet. She is powered by an AC marine propulsion plant consisting of three main generator sets, cycloconverters and synchronous motors.
Three Wartsila Vasa type 16V32 diesel engines each rated at 5,250 kw at 720 rpm, drive General Electric Canada ATI synchronous generators with brushless exciters. Each generator is rated at 5,000 kw, 4,160 v, 6,250 kva at 720 rpm. Cullen Canada Inc., Vancouver, B.C., Canada, supplied the main propulsion generator sets.
Auxiliary power is supplied by a 625-kw Stromberg HSPTL 10/653 generator driven by a Wartsila Vasa 6R22 rated at 960 kw at 1,200 rpm.
She is also fitted with a Caterpillar emergency generator set.
The Henry Larsen can accommodate a crew of 72, has a cruising range of about 15,000 nautical miles, a cruising speed of about 13.5 knots and a total shaft horsepower of 12,000 kw through two Lips propellers.
One special feature of the Henry Larsen is her advanced Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) Integrated Automation System. The system provides true integration of control and instrumentation functions, integrating prime mover control with electronic governors, start permissives and safety systems; alarm and monitoring; fan, valve, pump and compressor control; power management; fuel consumption calculation and presentation; and tank gauging.
Completed under a C$96.8-million contract as one of several newbuildings and modernizations planned or underway in the Canadian Coast Guard's Capital Projects, the Henry Larsen is one of Canada's largest icebreakers. To enhance her icebreaking capabilities and increase her maneuverability, she is fitted with a Wartsila Air Bubbling System, which reduces friction between the hull and the surrounding ice. Additionally, she is fitted with a heeling/stabilizing system by Intering of Germany through Jastram Canada.
The icebreaker is named in honor of Supt. Henry Larsen of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who was in command of the RCMP ship St.
Roch when it made its historic 28- month voyage through the Northwest Passage in the early 1940s.
For free literature detailing the shipbuilding, ship-repairing and engineering services of Versatile Pacific Shipyards, Circle 104 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from February 1989 issue
- Shipyard Opened By North Carolina DOT; Features New Synchrolift page: 4
- Unitor Announces New Owner Structure page: 5
- Marine Electric Moves To New Facilities; Divides Into Three Separate Firms page: 5
- Caterpillar Wins $1.4-Million Navy Mine Plow Contract page: 5
- PACECO Acquired By Mitsui Engineering —Literature Available page: 6
- HMS Marine Hardware Offers Smoke-Gard Curtains For Shipboard Smoke Containment Uses page: 6
- Sperry Marine Offers Six-Page Full-Color Brochure On RASCAR page: 7
- MMC Offers Free Catalog On Tank Gauging Tapes And Vapor Control Valves page: 8
- Southern Shipbuilding Completes Conversion Of Hopper Dredge page: 9
- Bird-Johnson To Expand Pascagoula Facility page: 9
- Lister Chain To Open U.S. Anchor Chain Plant —Literature Available page: 10
- Compact Weather Facsimile From Raytheon Can Be Programmed For Unattended Operation page: 10
- Valve Cage Repairing: An Example Of MWH's Service To The Customer page: 10
- Runyan Machine Completes Conversion Of Supply Boat Into Passenger Vessel page: 11
- Willcox North America Opens New Service Center —Literature Offered page: 11
- CANADIAN MARITIME INDUSTRIES ASSOCIATION'S 41st ANNUAL TECHNICAL CONFERENCE AND CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING & OFFSHORE EXHIBITION page: 12
- Call For Papers For Symposium On National Shipbuilding Research page: 12
- Shieldings To Buy Versatile Pacific page: 12
- SPD Technologies Marks First Full Year And 100th Anniversary In Ceremonies page: 13
- New US-China Pact Offers Opportunities To Shipping Lines page: 14
- SPD Technologies Completes Acquisition Of Dyncorp Unit page: 15
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 16
- Leevac Awarded Conversion Contracts —Literature Available page: 24
- Carrier Transicold Offers Free Marine Refrigeration Sales & Service Directory page: 25
- McDermott Signs Letter Of Intent To Acquire Avondale Offshore Division Assets page: 25
- Textron Marine Wins LCAC Program Contracts Worth $225 Million page: 26
- ITT Antarctic Seeks Bids For Charter/Purchase Of Icebreaker For NSF page: 26
- LONG TERM OUTLOOK FOR U.S. NAVY SHIPBUILDING page: 29
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 35
- Lightweight Lifting Slings From Slingmax Rigging Products Used In Navy Ship Launching page: 42
- PROMISING FUTURE FOR CANADIAN NAVAL SHIPBUILDING page: 44
- Avondale Shipyards Christens USS Tortuga (LSD-46) For Navy page: 46
- MSI Offers Naval And Commercial Training At Simulator Complex page: 47
- Trinity Marine Group Acquires Lockheed Shipbuilding Yard page: 48
- Avondale Christens U.S. Navy Fleet Oiler, USNS Leroy Grumman (T-AO-195) page: 48
- Colonna's Begins Repair Of U.S. Navy Frigate Under $3-Million Contract page: 48
- Versatile Pacific Delivers Arctic Icebreaker 'Henry Larsen' To Canadian Coast Guard page: 51
- Nichols Brothers Delivers High-Speed Army Catamaran For Use In Marshall Islands page: 51
- Cunico Offers Free 60-Page Catalog On Fittings And Flanges page: 52
- SNAME Section Calls For Papers For Ice Tech Symposium page: 52
- Renk Tacke Reports Over 100 RCF Gears Sold To Date page: 52
- Recent U.S. Navy Flag Officer Nominations page: 53
- Schoellhorn-Albrecht Under New Leadership page: 53
- Furuno Introduces New Products; Is Now Distributor For Lokata EPIRBs page: 54
- Color Brochure Offered On New High-Tech Marine Repair Lift page: 54
- Leslie Controls Introduces New SDM 5000 Flow Computer page: 54
- Cooper Bearing Offers Free Catalog, Booklet On Marine Roller Bearings page: 55
- CTI Industries Names Jeff Longmore Manager, Coatings Division page: 56
- B&W Product Tanker 'Petrobulk Mars' Is First Ship Ever To Be Equipped With One-Man Operated Bridge page: 56
- Electric Boat To Build First Seawolf Submarine Under $726-Million Pact page: 57
- Free 88-Page Catalog On Product Lines Offered By Crosby Group page: 57
- Voith Receives Orders For Four Water Tractors page: 58
- MagneTek ALS Adds Pease, Rizzotti To Staff page: 59
- Dehumidification, Sealing, Monitoring System Installed On MSC Ship By L&C page: 59
- Volvo Penta Enters New Market Segment For Workboat Engines With 16-Liter Marine Diesel page: 61
- Zodiac Hurricane RIBs Ideal For Use As Rescue Craft page: 63
- Mid-Coast Marine Lengthens And Modifies Fishing Vessel Pegasus page: 63
- Kockums Receives $2.7 Million In Orders For Steerbear Systems page: 63
- New Color Video Sounder From Raytheon Offers Advanced Multi-Screen Presentations page: 65
- Siemens Offers Free 100-Page Catalog On Contractors And Starters page: 65
- National Forge Wins Navy Contracts Totaling More Than $28 Million page: 66
- Boston Whaler Introduces 36-Foot Welded Aluminum Patrol Boat 'Defiance' page: 71
- Haynes Buys Bendix Industrial Diesel Fuel Injection System Product Line page: 71
- Swagelok Offers Literature On Quick-Connects For Corrosive Applications page: 71
- Viking Introduces Ship Evacuation Slide page: 74
- 'Immersion' Suits Replace Outdated 'Exposure' Suits page: 75
- Repair Of Naval Vessel Aided By Power Team Hydraulic Rams page: 76