ASRY's Services Are In High Demand
The second quarter at ASRY has continued at a brisk pace, with a high demand for the yard's services. The last few months have seen approximately 25 vessels being repaired and converted— including the unique conversion of Abouzar 1200 from a derrick ship into a deep water pipelay barge.
Of the other vessels repaired, four were over the 250,000 dwt mark, with Olympic Loyalty being the largest at 308,041 dwt. Approximately seven vessels were between 40,000 dwt and 100,000 dwt with the remainder below 30,000 dwt. Work was also undertaken on USS Raven for the U.S. Navy, as well as on a variety of dredgers and jack up rigs.
The second quarter brought about an increase in the number of inquires and dockings for chemical carriers. Tankers that were drydocked during this period included Bow Lady at 32,227 dwt; A1 Farabi at 23,953 dwt; and NCC Najran at 28,027 dwt. Other contracts included Skopelos, 274,950 dwt; Berge Chief, 289,980 dwt; and Samco Europe, 255,087 dwt. Work was also performed on two dredgers: Nautilus (6,250 dwt) and Rasheed (1,577 dwt) along with jack up rigs Arabiyah 4 and Bibby Marinia.
The yard has also seen an increase in demand for painting and blasting services and during the first six months, approximately 480,337 sq. m. of blasting were performed with approximately two million sq. m of painting completed.
This is up approximately 22.5 percent on the same time period last year — and the trend looks as though it will continue for the rest of the year.
Available specialist contractors at ASRY has increased in the yard with the addition of Golten (Dubai) opening a new facility with five technicians now able to undertake work on Woodward Governors and fuel injection equipment.
Circle 6 2 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from October 2001 issue
- Gratingless Air Circ System in Reefer Ships page: 44A
- New Technology To Debut At Europort page: 44B
- AIS: T h e Future is N ow page: 44F
- NOL Reports First Half Profit of $1M page: 4
- Speechless page: 6
- John Deere Offers N ew 3 0 0 HP Engine page: 7
- Now the Carousel Ship page: 8
- Port Security Strengthened in Wake of Disaster page: 12
- A Race With A Meaning ... Before the Fall of the Towers page: 14
- SCI: Disaster Relief on the Fly page: 15
- Following Wake of Terrorist Attacks, USS Cole is Relaunched page: 18
- INTERTANKO Offers Support, Vital Information During National Tragedy page: 19
- G O M Softness Drives GLM Score Down page: 20
- All-Purpose Aid And Hospital Vessel Delivered page: 21
- ASRY's Services Are In High Demand page: 23
- Rolf To The Rescue: German Yard Delivers Aluminum Rescue Launch page: 25
- Fusion Polycraft's RIB Designed To Be Indestructible page: 25
- Sea-Kindly: A Steady Vessel by Design page: 26
- New Inland Containership Concept Unveiled page: 30
- High-Tech Service Initiatives From Deltamarin page: 32
- FORAN v50: A Technological Renovation page: 36
- N a p a O y Opens Office In Japan page: 38
- NUPAS-Cadmatic Offers V4.3 page: 40
- Ship Evac Simulation Software Shows Promise page: 42
- Wartsila s Dual-Fuel Engine Power Module For FPSO Upgrade page: 44
- Euroferrys' Fast Ferry Features Cat 3618 Power page: 46
- PRI Fuel Treatment Helps Meet Emissions Challeng es page: 47
- Western Towboat Gets A N e w Titan page: 48
- Nichols Bros. To Construct Powerful Fireboat page: 50
- Statoil Ships Run on Gas... Liquefied Natural Gas That Is page: 51
- W Q I S Broadens Coverage To Meet State Requirements page: 52
- Wartsila Wins Environmental Award page: 53
- Pumping Ballast for Ocean-Going Barges page: 54
- Self-Cleaning Filter System Cuts Maintenance Costs page: 60
- CMP Packs Decade of Tin-Free Experience page: 62
- MarineLine Boosts C l e a r w a t e r ' s Profitability page: 64
- Dampney Manufactures Advanced Coatings page: 67
- W a r t s i l a Engines To Power Queen M a r y 2 page: 70
- Keppel Hitachi Zosen Delivers Semi-tender Rig page: 73