Keppel Hitachi Zosen Delivers Semi-tender Rig
Keppel Hitachi Zosen (KHZ) has delivered a Semi-Submersible Self-Erecting Tender Rig (SSETR) to Smedvig Asia Ltd (Smedvig). The SSETR was named West Alliance by Mrs. Patricia Chan, wife of Mr. Chan Heng Wah, Drilling Manager of Esso Production Malaysia Inc, at a naming ceremony held in Keppel Shipyard on September 29, 2001.
West Alliance has a one plus one optional year drilling contract with Esso Malaysia, which is scheduled to commence in early November this year. Following the exercise of its option, Smedvig will own 100 percent of West Alliance, and bring the total capital expenditure of the rig to about $85 million. West Alliance represents the newest generation of SSETRs, incorporating the latest technology and equipment. It is designed for deepwater drilling operations in combination with floating wellhead platforms in benign waters.
Although similar in design and specifications to West Menang, West Alliance has increased deckload capacity of up to 3,300 dwt and larger accommodation facilities to accommodate 130 people. Keppel Hitachi Zosen is one of the largest and most versatile ship repair and shipbuilding groups in Asia. It has the expertise to undertake the repair, conversion and the building of a diverse range and capacity of vessels.
The Group comprises Keppel Shipyard, Hitachi Zosen Singapore and Keppel Singmarine Dockyard in Singapore.
Its overseas yards are in the Philippines and the Middle East.
Smedvig Asia, based in Singapore, is a wholly owned subsidiary of a leading offshore drilling contractor, Smedvig asa, with headquarters in Stavanger, Norway. Smedvig has had a strong and increasing presence in the South East Asia petroleum market since 1990 when they purchased drilling contractor, Robray Offshore Drilling Company.
Circle 7 6 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from October 2001 issue
- Gratingless Air Circ System in Reefer Ships page: 44A
- New Technology To Debut At Europort page: 44B
- AIS: T h e Future is N ow page: 44F
- NOL Reports First Half Profit of $1M page: 4
- Speechless page: 6
- John Deere Offers N ew 3 0 0 HP Engine page: 7
- Now the Carousel Ship page: 8
- Port Security Strengthened in Wake of Disaster page: 12
- A Race With A Meaning ... Before the Fall of the Towers page: 14
- SCI: Disaster Relief on the Fly page: 15
- Following Wake of Terrorist Attacks, USS Cole is Relaunched page: 18
- INTERTANKO Offers Support, Vital Information During National Tragedy page: 19
- G O M Softness Drives GLM Score Down page: 20
- All-Purpose Aid And Hospital Vessel Delivered page: 21
- ASRY's Services Are In High Demand page: 23
- Rolf To The Rescue: German Yard Delivers Aluminum Rescue Launch page: 25
- Fusion Polycraft's RIB Designed To Be Indestructible page: 25
- Sea-Kindly: A Steady Vessel by Design page: 26
- New Inland Containership Concept Unveiled page: 30
- High-Tech Service Initiatives From Deltamarin page: 32
- FORAN v50: A Technological Renovation page: 36
- N a p a O y Opens Office In Japan page: 38
- NUPAS-Cadmatic Offers V4.3 page: 40
- Ship Evac Simulation Software Shows Promise page: 42
- Wartsila s Dual-Fuel Engine Power Module For FPSO Upgrade page: 44
- Euroferrys' Fast Ferry Features Cat 3618 Power page: 46
- PRI Fuel Treatment Helps Meet Emissions Challeng es page: 47
- Western Towboat Gets A N e w Titan page: 48
- Nichols Bros. To Construct Powerful Fireboat page: 50
- Statoil Ships Run on Gas... Liquefied Natural Gas That Is page: 51
- W Q I S Broadens Coverage To Meet State Requirements page: 52
- Wartsila Wins Environmental Award page: 53
- Pumping Ballast for Ocean-Going Barges page: 54
- Self-Cleaning Filter System Cuts Maintenance Costs page: 60
- CMP Packs Decade of Tin-Free Experience page: 62
- MarineLine Boosts C l e a r w a t e r ' s Profitability page: 64
- Dampney Manufactures Advanced Coatings page: 67
- W a r t s i l a Engines To Power Queen M a r y 2 page: 70
- Keppel Hitachi Zosen Delivers Semi-tender Rig page: 73