MarineLine Boosts C l e a r w a t e r ' s Profitability
Before Holland-based Clearwater Group's newbuild MT Coralwater, a 5,300-dwt chemical tanker, entered service in July of 1998, the vessel's cargo tanks were coated with MarineLine, the Siloxirane polymer-based anti-corrosion system developed and manufactured by Advanced Polymer Sciences, Inc. As a result, the number of revenue-earning voyages completed by the vessel is more than 40 percent greater than that of vessels treated with other coatings systems.
The Coralwater's substantial improvement in performance is primarily due to faster cleaning and drying of the cargo tanks, which provides for quick vessel turnaround and reloading after the discharge of cargo, such as methanol and nitrobenzene, as well as acetic acid, acrylonite, EDC, formaldehyde, aniline, and several other chemicals.
MarineLine is designed to be impermeable, with negligible absorption of cargo into the coating. The product also offers a smooth surface, which contributes to shorter tank washing and drying times.
"This means Coralwater is able to undertake 63 more sailing days per year" than vessels treated with other coatings, said Don Keehan, CEO and director of research at Advanced Polymer Coatings. "On the basis of a projected profit of 43,500 per day, multiplied by the extra 63 days of revenuegenerating service, this means $220,500 additional profit per year," he added.
The new series of Clearwater Group chemical tankers each have 10 cargo tanks and two slop tanks, representing a coating surface of 3,850 sq. m. Keehan noted that when this figure is related to the additional profit per year, Marine- Line generates an extra $57.27 a year, and emphasized that on larger ships, the profit earned is greater still.
As a result of Clearwater's positive experience with Coralwater, the company specified MarineLine as the tank coating to be used for two newbuilds delivered this year.
Circle 6 3 on Reader Service Card www. maritimereporterinfo. com
Other stories from October 2001 issue
- Gratingless Air Circ System in Reefer Ships page: 44A
- New Technology To Debut At Europort page: 44B
- AIS: T h e Future is N ow page: 44F
- NOL Reports First Half Profit of $1M page: 4
- Speechless page: 6
- John Deere Offers N ew 3 0 0 HP Engine page: 7
- Now the Carousel Ship page: 8
- Port Security Strengthened in Wake of Disaster page: 12
- A Race With A Meaning ... Before the Fall of the Towers page: 14
- SCI: Disaster Relief on the Fly page: 15
- Following Wake of Terrorist Attacks, USS Cole is Relaunched page: 18
- INTERTANKO Offers Support, Vital Information During National Tragedy page: 19
- G O M Softness Drives GLM Score Down page: 20
- All-Purpose Aid And Hospital Vessel Delivered page: 21
- ASRY's Services Are In High Demand page: 23
- Rolf To The Rescue: German Yard Delivers Aluminum Rescue Launch page: 25
- Fusion Polycraft's RIB Designed To Be Indestructible page: 25
- Sea-Kindly: A Steady Vessel by Design page: 26
- New Inland Containership Concept Unveiled page: 30
- High-Tech Service Initiatives From Deltamarin page: 32
- FORAN v50: A Technological Renovation page: 36
- N a p a O y Opens Office In Japan page: 38
- NUPAS-Cadmatic Offers V4.3 page: 40
- Ship Evac Simulation Software Shows Promise page: 42
- Wartsila s Dual-Fuel Engine Power Module For FPSO Upgrade page: 44
- Euroferrys' Fast Ferry Features Cat 3618 Power page: 46
- PRI Fuel Treatment Helps Meet Emissions Challeng es page: 47
- Western Towboat Gets A N e w Titan page: 48
- Nichols Bros. To Construct Powerful Fireboat page: 50
- Statoil Ships Run on Gas... Liquefied Natural Gas That Is page: 51
- W Q I S Broadens Coverage To Meet State Requirements page: 52
- Wartsila Wins Environmental Award page: 53
- Pumping Ballast for Ocean-Going Barges page: 54
- Self-Cleaning Filter System Cuts Maintenance Costs page: 60
- CMP Packs Decade of Tin-Free Experience page: 62
- MarineLine Boosts C l e a r w a t e r ' s Profitability page: 64
- Dampney Manufactures Advanced Coatings page: 67
- W a r t s i l a Engines To Power Queen M a r y 2 page: 70
- Keppel Hitachi Zosen Delivers Semi-tender Rig page: 73