M/V Tanner Christened In Texas
The United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Galveston District recently christened a unique 48-ft.
(14.6-m) vessel for use at its moorage facility. The 48-ft. utilizes the uniquely innovative Stolkraft hull form, and will be put into service surveying the coastal waterways in the Galveston District.
Art Anderson Associates assessed the match of the Stolkraft hull to the Gaveston District's specific requirements for a survey launch, and provided the plans and specifications for the Tanner's design.
The Stolkraft is a hull form, patented worldwide, with applications to highspeed vessels. The hull consists of a trimaran shape forward that transforms into a catamaran aft. As the vessel moves forward, it forces air beneath the scoops formed by the tri-hulled forebody.
The air acts as a cushion that decreases frictional resistance, provides additional lift, and decreases fuel consumption.
Tanner's design provides the capability to operate in higher, rougher sea conditions than is possible with the Galveston District's current survey launches.
Circle 89 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from August 2002 issue
- QM2 Celebrates Keel Laying At French Shipyard page: 6
- San Fernando Shipyard Gets A RoPax Ferry Order page: 6
- Austal Delivers Lilia Concepcion To Venezuela page: 8
- Navy Christens New Guided Missile Destroyer page: 9
- Northrop Grumman Delivers USNS Brittin page: 9
- New & Notable Empress of the North Scheduled For 2003 page: 10
- Austal USA Sells Second Vessel Into N.Y. Market page: 11
- Guangzhou Panyu Lingshan Shipyard Prepare for Deliveries page: 13
- VDR and AIS Regulations Go Into Effect page: 14
- Maritime Security and the Hazards of Unilateralism page: 15
- Keppel Acquires Interest in Verolme Botlek for $17.9 Million page: 16
- After Half A Century, Hamilton Jet Keeps On Pushing page: 18
- Rodriquez To Construct High Speed Monohull page: 19
- RINA Backs Emission Cruise Ship Project page: 19
- Vosper Thornycroft Takes A "Bite" Out of Technology page: 20
- Cutting Edge Know-How to Cut Smoke page: 21
- South China Yard Holds Court In Pearl River Delta page: 22
- MarAd's Schubert: Building a Better U.S. Business page: 24
- Opportunities Plentiful page: 27
- Derecktor Cuts First Plate of AMHS Ferry page: 29
- Gulf Craft Delivers World's Largest Crew/Supply Vessel page: 31
- Raising the Kursk page: 32
- Spiegel Grove: Saved to be Sunken page: 34
- Titan Re-Floats Clipper Cheyenne page: 38
- Using a Simulator With Eyes Wide Open page: 39
- ChartCo Is Successful During Sea Trials page: 41
- Ultra Large Containerships: Will Security Measures Impede Operations? page: 43
- Premiere Maritime Security Exhibition to be Held in NYC page: 47
- Get Ready for the New OPA 90 page: 48
- M/V Tanner Christened In Texas page: 49
- Rolls-Royce Helps Power Combat Boat Success page: 50
- SMI: Helping to Spread British Marine Technology Worldwide page: 51
- McNeece Unveils Unique Hull Concept page: 52
- Ultrajets Chosen by FBM Babcock for Military Project page: 54
- New Cutter for Port of London Features Cat Power page: 55