Bethlehem Announces Promotions —John Estes To Beaumont Yard —Sherman Perry To Singapore Yard
The promotions, effective May 1, of John C. Estes and Sherman C. Perry to general managers of Bethlehem Steel Corporation shipyards were announced in Bethlehem, Pa., by William C. Brigham, vice president in charge of shipbuilding.
Mr. Estes will become general manager of the Beaumont, Texas, shipyard and Mr.
Perry will become president and general manager of Bethlehem Singapore Private Limited. Mr. Estes will succeed Ralph A.
Leaf, whose retirement has been announced.
Mr. Perry will succeed Mr. Estes as president and general manager of the shipyard in Singapore.
A native of Birmingham, Ala., Mr. Estes received a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Texas in 1946. He served in the U.S. Navy from November 1943 to June 1946 and again from February 1952 to December 1953, attaining the rank of lieutenant.
Starting his career in shipbuilding in 1946, Mr. Estes joined Bethlehem Steel in 1949 at the Beaumont facility as a design engineer. After he returned to the yard in December 1953 from naval duty, he became assistant chief of design in 1954 and chief of design in 1958. About V/o years later he became chief engineer, and in November 1971 he was named assistant to general manager of the Beaumont Yard.
Two years later, Mr. Estes was appointed president and general manager of Bethlehem's shipyard in Singapore.
He is a member of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and is a licensed professional engineer in Texas.
Mr. Perry, a native of White Sulphur Springs, W. Va., joined Bethlehem Steel in 1942 at its former Fairfield, Md., shipyard, where hundreds of Liberty ships were produced during World War II.
He was transferred to the corporation's shipyard at Sparrows Point, Md., in 1945, where he worked with planning activities.
He became a supervisor in production planning in 1951, and then held various management positions in the yard, becoming assistant general superintendent in 1968. A year later, he was transferred to the Baltimore Yards as assistant chief planner.
In 1971, Mr. Perry was assigned to the Singapore facility as assistant to general manager and was promoted to assistant general manager in 1975, the position he held until his appointment as president and general manager of the Singapore Yard.
Other stories from May 1977 issue
- Nippon Steel Completes Floating Tanker Berth For Alaska Pipeline page: 4
- Conoco And Mitsui Group Verify Feasibility Of Floating Methanol Plant page: 4
- Hellenic Lines Orders Ro/Ro Ships In Japan page: 6
- Krupp Atlas Elektronik Names Henry S. Woods M a r i n e Sales Manager page: 6
- Dravo Corporation Names M.B. Meyer And J.J. Burke page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Creates New Ship Conversion Planning Department page: 6
- Literature Describes Solid State Salinity Indicating System page: 8
- Campbell Industries Completes Specialized Vessel Designed To Tow Oil Drilling Rigs page: 9
- Hitachi Zosen Receives Floating Pontoon Jetty Contract From A r a b i a page: 9
- Camlock Appoints Alexander Industries page: 9
- George Manchester Joins Uniflite, Inc. page: 9
- M a r i t i m e Overseas A w a r d s Contract To A i r f i l co Engineering page: 10
- A m e r i c a n Ship Building Names A l l e n Zang President Of Nabrico page: 10
- IHI Delivers 269,800-DWT Texaco Caribbean page: 11
- Norfolk Shipbuilding And Drydock Corporation Signs Two Multimillion-Dollar Contracts page: 11
- Energy Research In The Oceans page: 12
- Donald Rumsfeld Guest Speaker At Worthington Technical Awards Dinner Honoring Young Engineers page: 12
- ASNE Pascagoula Section Hears Technical Paper On Marine Boiler Controls page: 13
- Newport News Opens O n e - H a l f Acre School To Train Welders page: 17
- Cayman Island Oil Transfer Terminal To Start Operations—Will Cut U.S. Costs page: 20
- American Club Elects Board Of Directors page: 20
- United States Lines Appoints Robert H. Splan page: 20
- Uniflite, Inc., Sells 6 Corsair Patrol Boats To Union Of Burma page: 23
- University Of California Plans To Build Large Oceanographic Vessel page: 24
- Alden Introduces FM Facsimile Recorders page: 26
- Norfolk Ship Names Richardson And Eure To New Positions —Officers Reelected page: 26
- Seabury McGown Named Uniflite's Manager Of Contracts Administration page: 28
- Seatrain Int'l Forms Saudi Container Services As Joint Venture page: 28
- Marine Concrete Forms Repair Division page: 29
- Jurong Converts Bulk Carrier To Great Lakes Ore Carrier page: 30
- Bethlehem Announces Promotions —John Estes To Beaumont Yard —Sherman Perry To Singapore Yard page: 30
- N o r w e g i a n Firm Invests In Multipurpose Freighters page: 31
- SNAME Issues Call For Technical Papers For 'Propellers 78' page: 32
- M a r i n e Management Systems, Inc. Receives $ 1 9 0 , 0 0 0 M a r A d Contract page: 33
- The Care And Lubrication Of Marine Diesel Engines page: 35
- SNAME Chesapeake Section Hears Paper On Analysis Of Advanced Naval Vehicles page: 36
- N o r f o l k Ship Orders 950-Foot Drydock From Brazilian Yard page: 36
- St. Louis Ship Names Cumming And Storck page: 36
- Farboil Co. Appoints Maritime Supply For Southern Florida page: 36
- Line Fast Announces Improved Container Securing Twist Lock page: 37
- Columbus Line Names Two Assistant VPs page: 37
- Robert E. Apple N a m e d President Stanwick Company page: 38
- First New York Port Navigational Aid & Communications Conference Is A Success page: 38
- N a v y Awards $ 9 6 8 , 0 00 Fiberglass Patrol Boat Contract To Uniflite page: 39
- Basil Rusovich Elected President Int'l Trade Mart page: 39
- New Dravo SteelShip Descriptive Brochures Now Available page: 39
- California ASNE Reviews Automatic Position Control page: 40
- The Education Of Engineers For The Ocean Industry Is Subject Of SNAME Meeting page: 40
- Equitable Shipyards Launches Ferryboat V i r g i n i a Dare For State Of North Carolina page: 40
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Hears Presentation On 'Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion' page: 41
- Halter Delivery To Tidewater Completes Eighty-Six Vessel Fleet Expansion Program page: 41
- D r e w r y Report R e v i e w s C a r - C a r r y i n g Fleet page: 42
- Rutland M a r i t i m e Names Fernando I. Duque page: 43
- Ro-Ro 7 7 Scheduled For June 21-22, 1977 In London, England page: 43
- A v o n d a l e Delivers Hydraulic Dredge I l l i n o i s - Flagship Of Great Lakes Dredge And Dock Fleet page: 44
- EDO Corporation Names John Devine To Head International Division page: 44
- Newport News Appoints John H. McMullen Jr. page: 44
- Chesapeake Section Of SNAME Hears Papers On Propeller Cavitation And Unsteady Forces page: 45
- Barge-Mounted Ammonia Production Plant Designed By Gotaverken And Haldor Topsoe page: 46
- Gulf's Oil Recovery Vessel For Bantry Bay, Ireland Built In Rhode Island By Blount Marine page: 46
- H a l i f a x W i l l Host W o r l d Fishing Exhibition page: 47
- Brown & Root, Inc. Names Three Executives page: 47
- COMSAT General Elects McLucas President- Johnson Named Chairman page: 47
- Return On Tankship Investment Subject Of N.Y. SNAME Meeting page: 48
- Paper On Technical Aspects Of Ocean Mining Presented At SNAME Los Angeles Meeting page: 49
- Sun Ship Names Schmitt Naval Architect Administrative Division page: 49
- 128 Plant Facilities Located On Waterways In Fourth Quarter '76 page: 49
- H i l l m a n Delivers Exxon Towboat W i t h 40-Foot Eye Level Pilothouse page: 50
- NASSCO Elects Evans Vice Pres.-Engineering page: 50
- Gulf Section SNAME Holds Annual Spring Meeting page: 50
- Two Matson Navigation Executives Trade Jobs page: 51
- Paceco Holds Third International Conference page: 51
- N.Y. Metropolitan SNAME Honors John Livingston —Hears Paper On 'Design Of Reheat Turbines' page: 54
- R / V Deepsea Miner Equipped W i t h 70-Foot-High Enclosure page: 55
- Nominations Are Open For Shepheard A w a r d page: 56
- M a r i t i m e Administration Names George Bornkessel To N e w Orleans Post page: 56
- PFEL Names R.C. Rasmus Senior Vice President page: 57
- Literature Describes Wager Photoelectric Smoke Indicator page: 57
- Dr. Francis N a m e d Kings Point Engineering Chief A n d USMS Captain page: 58
- Joint S N A M E / C I M E Meeting Hears Paper On Operations Of Gas Turbine Destroyers page: 58