ASNE Flagship Section Holds First 1977-78 Meeting
The Flagship Section of the American Society of Naval Engineers held its first meeting of the 1977-78 technical program year at the Officers' Club of the National Naval Medical Hospital, Bethesda, Md.
Following the social hour and dinner, which were enjoyed by approximately 65 members and guests, chairman Thomas Albee opened the meeting by welcoming all those in attendance. Captain Albee especially noted the presence of former Flagship Section chairman Robert Browning, members of the Flagship Council, and the main speaker, Capt. James W. Kehoe Jr.
Captain Kehoe made a presentation entitled "Observations of Soviet 'Kiev,' " which was highlighted by slides showing the ship during a Mediterranean cruise. In addition, Captain Kehoe presented a film of the takeoff and landing of Soviet helicopters and VTOL aircraft attached to the ship. The presentation was very well received, and a lively question and answer period followed.
The Flagship Chapter wishes to note that ASNE members and guests are welcome to attend any of the future Flagship meetings: November 15, 1977 — Coast Guard Program at Curtis Bay, "Coast Guard Response to Oil Spills in the North Atlantic" by Lt.
Comdr. Barry Chambers, C.D. Strike Team.
December 7, 1977—Presentation and Panel Discussion on "Seakeeping." Moderator, Wolfgang Reuter.
January 10, 1978—"An Overview of Congressional Perspectives on U.S. Navy Ship Program" from the point of view of a naval engineer on the House Armed Services Committee, Dr. Tom Cooper.
February 7, 1978 — Subject, "Aegis." March 4, 1978 — Presentation/Panel Discussion on COGAS Propulsion. Moderator, R. Carleton.
April 11, 1978 — Presentation/Panel Discussion on Ship Design Perspectives.
June 1978 — Dinner-Dance.
Other stories from November 15, 1977 issue
- ARINC Awarded $117,000 MarAd Study Contract page: 4
- Second $81-Million Gulf Oil Supertanker Christened At Bethlehem Sparrows Point page: 7
- Veliotis To Manage Electric Boat Div. page: 8
- Sun Shipbuilding Consolidates All Marketing Activities —Orth, Winstead And Hunt Named Department Heads page: 10
- Samson Ocean Systems Names John Williamson Regional Manager page: 10
- Hartzman To Retire- Bossier Slated For Avondale Presidency page: 11
- Ocean Orders Five More Ships page: 14
- M a r i n e Boiler Reliability page: 17
- Navy Awards Boeing $178 Million To Build Missile Firing Boats page: 19
- Plan To Convert Three Vessels At Estimated Cost Of $12.8 Million page: 20
- Kleschick Elected To Sun Ship Board Of Directors page: 20
- Norshipco Adopts New Corporate Logo page: 22
- Cayman Energy Ltd. Reports On Activities page: 22
- Samson Sells Marine Survey Division To Local Management page: 22
- Ed Toale Joins Bailey Sales Staff page: 23
- Marine Firms Attend Hoffert Marine Seminar page: 23
- $3-Million Surface Effect Ship Award To Philadelphia Gear page: 24
- Jonathan Feffer Named President SSI Navigation page: 24
- Navy Adds $4.2 Million To Tracor Contract page: 26
- C.F. Bean Corp. Names Charles R. Barron VP page: 26
- Argo International And Sealol Join Forces page: 27
- Space-Age Insulation Approved By Lloyd's page: 27
- Raytheon Promotes A. Newell Garden page: 28
- National Steel And Shipbuilding Delivers Second Of Four 90,000-Ton Tankers To OSG page: 28
- W.A. Whitney Corp. Introduces New 28XX Tooling Catalog page: 29
- Swan Hunter To Build Vessel To Transport Spent Nuclear Fuels page: 29
- Floating Oil Storage Better Prospects For The Unemployed? page: 34
- Alaska Maritime Names William Lorch Valdez Port Manager page: 36
- No. New England Section Of ASNE Reports On Two Technical Sessions page: 36
- Moran-Thibodeaux Names Captain North Vice President-Sales page: 38
- Diamond Manufacturing Building Ro/Ro Dock For Port Of Tampa page: 38
- Newport News Shipyard Installs Powerful Hoists page: 39
- Kawasaki Endows M.l.T. Research Fund With Gift Of $200,000 page: 39
- Todd Shipyards Corp. Holds Company Safety Conference In Chicago page: 40
- Study 56—'Sea Trade And Transportation Of Coal' page: 41
- Spanish Society And ABS Enter Agreement page: 42
- J.M. Ringelberg Joins Seaward International page: 42
- U Of California Gives Course On Deepsea Oil Structures Jan. '78 page: 43
- Slatic Named President Ameron Protective Coatings Division page: 43
- Two Management Appointments Announced At Skagit Corporation page: 44
- IMO Pump Bulletin Describes Twin Screw Pumps page: 44
- New England Company Receives U.S. Funds To Investigate Giant Sphere As Offshore Oil Terminal page: 46
- SNAME And SSC Plan Ship Vibration Symposium For Washington, D.C. October 1978 page: 47
- Electro-Nav To Market New 400-Watt SSB Transmitter/Receiver page: 48
- CIBRO Petroleum Building Super Barge At Todd Shipyards' Houston, Texas Division page: 48
- OMNITHRUSTER Names J. Michael Melvin VP page: 49
- Santa Fe Reenters Onshore Drilling !n The United States page: 49
- ASNE Flagship Section Holds First 1977-78 Meeting page: 50
- Wigham Poland Inc. Expands Marine Insurance Division page: 50