Sulzer Diesels Power First Combined Ro/Ro Mini-Bulk Carrier On Inland Waterways Of Europe
The first combined roll-on/rolloff mini-bulk carrier/inland motorship in Europe—the RoRo-Simmental— belonging to the Swiss company Rohr- und Saar-Kohle AG, was recently commissioned.
The vessel is 95 meters long (approximately 312 feet), about 11 meters wide (36 feet), and with a deadweight of 2,400 tons, has a draft of 3.45 meters (11 feet).
With this first ro/ro ship for inland waterway traffic, heavy cargoes can be transported by way of an inclined ramp directly in the cargo space. The trimming tanks are brought into use during the loading and unloading operations.
Hydraulic winches are employed to pull the cargo onboard. Turbines, transformers, boiler, chemical plant components, and other large installation equipment items can thus be loaded or unloaded at any desired location without the use of large special cranes. The RoRo-Simmental can also transport solid fuels in European inland waters.
As is the case for the vessel as a whole, emphasis is placed on the economy of operation for the engine installation as well. The call for a robust and comparatively simple layout, together with optimal reliability of operation, has been able to be met by means of Sulzer A-type diesel engines.
These machines have already proven their worth in over 2,000 installations as prime movers for fishing, special and inland vessels, or as auxiliary generating sets on large oceangoing ships.
The Haslital, a previous newbuilding for the same owners, is equipped with two engines, type 6AL25/30, which each have a rating of 735 kw at 720 rev/min. As a result of further development and uprating in power, it was possible to select the smaller type 6AL20/24 for the Simmental, and to retain the same engine room conception.
In this way, powerful engines— designed according to the latest knowledge for continuous operation— may be installed in a relatively small space. Good accessibility for inspection purposes and overhaul work on the main engines, as well as other components, was decisive for the overall layout of the engine room.
Consequently, a two-engine installation (twin-shaft arrangement) with Sulzer four-stroke engines, type 6AL20/24, having the following data was selected for the total power requirements: Design principal—trunk-piston engine with supercharger, nonreversible; Bore/stroke—200/240 mm; Number of cylinders—6; Mode of operation— four-stroke; Rating—620 kw (840 bhp), and Speed—1,000 rev/min.
Other stories from August 15, 1978 issue
- Beliard, Crighton Opens New Drydock In Dunkirk page: 4
- Booklet Tells How To Keep Seawater Piping Systems Free Of Growth page: 4
- Bender To Build Fisheries Research Vessel For NOAA page: 7
- Tenn-Tom Towing Asks Title XI For Barges And Towboats page: 7
- Abex/Denison Promotes W. Grimes And R. Holmes page: 8
- Congressman Murphy To Receive AOTOS Award page: 9
- 1980 LNG Conference Set For Kyoto, Japan page: 10
- City Of Ponce Orders First Portainer Crane page: 10
- Blount Marine Delivers Fueling Tanker Reiss Marine To Service Great Lakes Shipping page: 11
- Alcoa Marine Forms New Offshore Division page: 12
- Oceaneering Int'l Names Taylor Potter page: 12
- Hoffert Marine Inc. Names Byrne Exec. VP page: 13
- A.L. Burbank And Co. Named Worldwide Agents For Fuel Savers, Inc. page: 13
- Carrington Slipways Pty. Ltd. Appoints Four Directors page: 14
- Alco Power Inc. Names Richard Fuller page: 16
- Nav-Com And Simrad Co-Host Navigation Seminar page: 16
- Int'l Symposium On Fracture Mechanics Proceedings Available page: 19
- British Firm Sells Survey Technique To Maritime Administration page: 20
- MTU Group Forms U.S. Subsidiary page: 20
- Tacoma Boat Names Streb Chief Engineer page: 22
- Raytheon Marine Offers Line Of Commercial Doppler Speed Logs page: 24
- Marine Concrete Structures Relocates Headquarters page: 26
- Ship Performance Analyzer page: 30
- Arctic Transportation Ltd. Commissions Research Vessel To Work For Imperial Oil page: 32
- Jakobson Shipyard Delivers Innovative Oil Skimmer Catamaran To Lagoven, C.A. page: 32
- BSRA Confidential Report On Catamarans Can Now Be Purchased page: 35
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers The M / V P.N. Ellis For Bunkering Service On the Lower Mississippi page: 37
- Todd Reports Third Successive Profitable Quarter page: 39
- Murphy Pacific Marine Salvage Promotes Madeo page: 40
- Sulzer Diesels Power First Combined Ro/Ro Mini-Bulk Carrier On Inland Waterways Of Europe page: 42
- Middle East Liner Trades — An Economic Analysis page: 42
- MSC Towing Contract Awarded To Dillingham page: 43
- Ship Design Paper Attracts Wide Interest page: 44
- Congressman Murphy To Address Offshore Oil Conference page: 45