Congressman Murphy To Receive AOTOS Award
On September 22,1978, the Honorable John M. Murphy, Chairman of the Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee, Congress of the United States, will receive the coveted AOTOS Award, and will be named "Admiral of the Ocean Sea," in the Grand Ballroom of the New York Hilton, New York City. The title Admiral of the Ocean Sea was first granted to Christopher Columbus in 1493 by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain for the discovery of the New World that now houses our great nation.
Congressman Murphy, a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, served with great distinction as an officer in the Ninth Infantry Regiment during the Korean Conflict. In addition to the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star, Congressman Murphy holds this nation's second highest award for valor in combat —The Distinguished Service Cross. Congressman Murphy was first elected to Congress, representing the 17th District of New York, in November 1962, and has been reelected to each succeeding Congress. As Chairman of the Merchant Marine Fisheries Committee, Congressman Murphy is a strong proponent of legislation designed to strengthen the presence of American maritime power upon the oceans of the world.
Admiral Of The Ocean Sea The AOTOS Legend It was the rebirth of classical Greek and Roman knowledge in Renaissance Spain, joined with Columbus's global venture, that inspired King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella to give Columbus the title "Admiral of the Ocean Sea," upon his return to Spain in 1493. Columbus had traveled the fabled "Okeanos," the great river of water around the world (according to Homer), and sailed under "Okeanos," the god of the outer waters. He returned with the discovery of the New World, and proof as well that the world was round —a great new beginning.
The title Admiral of the Ocean Sea was prophetic in that Columbus's voyage opened up the new world, and began two centuries of maritime exploration that carried ships and seamen to every part of the world and established the roots of America's shipping heritage.
The title belonged strictly to Columbus and his family until 1970, when the United Seamen's Service began sponsoring the Admiral of the Ocean Sea (AOTOS) Award. Since then, with the cooperation of the entire maritime industry, the person who has done the most to advance the cause of American-flag shipping each year has been named Admiral of the Ocean Sea, and presented with this coveted award. The AOTOS recipient is selected by a committee of maritime labor, management and government leaders.
The AOTOS Award is a silver statuette of Christopher Columbus with his hand resting on his ship's anchor. Each year, it is cast in Genoa, Italy, just two blocks from the place of this famous mariner's birth, and brought to the United States on an American ship.
Other stories from August 15, 1978 issue
- Beliard, Crighton Opens New Drydock In Dunkirk page: 4
- Booklet Tells How To Keep Seawater Piping Systems Free Of Growth page: 4
- Bender To Build Fisheries Research Vessel For NOAA page: 7
- Tenn-Tom Towing Asks Title XI For Barges And Towboats page: 7
- Abex/Denison Promotes W. Grimes And R. Holmes page: 8
- Congressman Murphy To Receive AOTOS Award page: 9
- 1980 LNG Conference Set For Kyoto, Japan page: 10
- City Of Ponce Orders First Portainer Crane page: 10
- Blount Marine Delivers Fueling Tanker Reiss Marine To Service Great Lakes Shipping page: 11
- Alcoa Marine Forms New Offshore Division page: 12
- Oceaneering Int'l Names Taylor Potter page: 12
- Hoffert Marine Inc. Names Byrne Exec. VP page: 13
- A.L. Burbank And Co. Named Worldwide Agents For Fuel Savers, Inc. page: 13
- Carrington Slipways Pty. Ltd. Appoints Four Directors page: 14
- Alco Power Inc. Names Richard Fuller page: 16
- Nav-Com And Simrad Co-Host Navigation Seminar page: 16
- Int'l Symposium On Fracture Mechanics Proceedings Available page: 19
- British Firm Sells Survey Technique To Maritime Administration page: 20
- MTU Group Forms U.S. Subsidiary page: 20
- Tacoma Boat Names Streb Chief Engineer page: 22
- Raytheon Marine Offers Line Of Commercial Doppler Speed Logs page: 24
- Marine Concrete Structures Relocates Headquarters page: 26
- Ship Performance Analyzer page: 30
- Arctic Transportation Ltd. Commissions Research Vessel To Work For Imperial Oil page: 32
- Jakobson Shipyard Delivers Innovative Oil Skimmer Catamaran To Lagoven, C.A. page: 32
- BSRA Confidential Report On Catamarans Can Now Be Purchased page: 35
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers The M / V P.N. Ellis For Bunkering Service On the Lower Mississippi page: 37
- Todd Reports Third Successive Profitable Quarter page: 39
- Murphy Pacific Marine Salvage Promotes Madeo page: 40
- Sulzer Diesels Power First Combined Ro/Ro Mini-Bulk Carrier On Inland Waterways Of Europe page: 42
- Middle East Liner Trades — An Economic Analysis page: 42
- MSC Towing Contract Awarded To Dillingham page: 43
- Ship Design Paper Attracts Wide Interest page: 44
- Congressman Murphy To Address Offshore Oil Conference page: 45