Magnavox MX 1100 Series Navigators GPS Upgradable —Literature Available
Users of Magnavox MX 1100 Series Satellite Navigators and Satellite/ Omega Navigators may soon retrofit their receivers to accept and process signals from Navstar GPS satellites providing position, velocity, heading and time displays.
Upgraded Transit-to-GPS receivers will initially be single channel, C/A code equipment because, by policy, the U.S. Department of Defense denies P-code access to all but a few civilian users.
Thus, in the Magnavox upgraded receivers, only Lj frequency signals will be available at 1575.42 MHz and C/A code signals at 1.023 MHz. These signals offer 30-35 meter accuracy depending on the quality of orbit parameters and clock corrections transmitted by satellites. In time, civil users may be given access to full system accuracy.
There are currently five experimental GPS satellites in operation.
By the end of 1987 it is expected that there will be 12 operational satellites which would be sufficient to provide continuous two-dimensional navigation worldwide.
Meanwhile, users will have only a few hours of full coverage per day in most parts of the world.
Since the current GPS satellites are experimental, the U.S. Government cautions that it has the right to modify or terminate their operation at any time. Sale of GPS upgrades is subject to U.S. Government export regulations.
Retrofit of Series 1100 Satellite Navigators entails the addition of a GPS receiver and processor card, a software update, and the replacement of the antenna with a combined GPS and TRANSIT antenna using the same coaxial cable and mounting hardware. In most cases, installation may be quickly accomplished in the field by authorized Magnavox Marine Dealers worldwide.
For more information, Circle 8 3 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from July 1984 issue
- Tacoma Boat Awarded $110-Million Contract To Build Passenger Liner page: 4
- Williams Announces Lubricating Innovation For Steel Cables page: 5
- Hitachi Zosen Delivers Bulk Carrier To Greek Owner page: 5
- Cummins Engine Announces New Engine Model Codes For Marine Product Line page: 5
- Desco Marine Adds Three New Fiberglass Hulls To Line of Fishing Boats page: 6
- Two Appointments Announced By Marathon Marine page: 6
- Engineering Partnership Formed By Kongsberg And McDermott International page: 6
- Deutsch Metal Offers Free Pyplok Catalog page: 6
- Unique Mini-Liner Nearing Completion At Bender Shipbuilding Yard In Mobile page: 7
- Bender Delivers 98-Foot New Bedford Scalloper page: 7
- Daewoo To Build Offshore Gas/Oil Production Plant page: 8
- Joseph Cangelosi Forms New Consulting Firm page: 8
- Dockside Signs Contract With M.A.N./B&W Service — Rennie Joins Staff page: 8
- Philadelphia Gear Supplies New Propulsion Drives For San Francisco Ferry Boats page: 8
- Gennaro Oliva Joins Atlantic Coast Enterprises page: 8
- Marathon LeTourneau Offshore Announces Major Reorganization page: 9
- Bob Daniels Named New Marland President & CEO page: 9
- NABRICO Names Gower VP-Engineering page: 9
- American-Standard Offers Free Bulletin On FanEX® Air/Oil Heat Exchangers page: 9
- CDI Marine Appoints Smith And Dodson page: 10
- Sonat Subsea Services Appoints Senior VP page: 10
- New Raytheon SSB Is Microprocessor Controlled —Literature Available page: 10
- Comsat TeleSystems Introduces The MCS-9100 Ship Earth Station page: 12
- Socal Announces Executive Changes page: 12
- NOR-FISHING '84 page: 12
- Rockwell International Announces Key Top Management Promotions page: 13
- New Remote Control Subsea Gyrocompass Introduced By Robertson page: 13
- MarAd Acquires RO/RO Vessel Atlantic Bear With Bid Of $17.5 Million page: 14
- NASSCO Holds Naming Ceremonies For Two Ship Conversions page: 14
- Perolin Offers Handbook On Fuel Oil Treatment page: 14
- Two Samsung-built Hapag-Lloyd Ships Feature Unique Asymmetric Stern page: 16
- OFFSHORE NORTHERN SEAS page: 16
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 18
- SCANDINAVIAN SHIPBUILDING page: 23
- Magnavox MX 1100 Series Navigators GPS Upgradable —Literature Available page: 34
- Ingram Materials Expands Bulk Marine Terminal page: 35
- Emerson Shank Joins Desco Marine As VP Sales And Marketing page: 35
- Navy Adding 19 Ships To Ready Reserve Force page: 36
- AMR™ Is New Name For Transamerica Delaval Line Of Three-Screw Pumps page: 37
- Caterpillar Offers Remanufactured Fuel Nozzles And Tune-Up Kits page: 37
- SNAME Issues Call For Papers For 1985 OTC page: 38
- Comsat Dedicates Roaring Creek Earth Station page: 38
- Norcontrol Renews Long-Term Agreement With B&W Diesel page: 41
- Integrated Marine Electronic Systems Nav-Com Inc., Seminar—Washington, D.C. page: 42
- Oceaneering International Dual Hydra Rov Systems At 100 Percent Utilization page: 49
- Fast Navy Supply Ship Capella Dedicated At Pennsylvania Shipbuilding page: 50