Marine Industries Mobilizes Large RO/RO Barges
Marine Industries Northwest Inc.
of Tacoma, Wash., recently performed overhaul and activation repairs aboard two large RO/RO barges for a New York corporation.
The former SeaWay Express RO/ RO barges City of Seward, and Resurrection Bay, each measure 487 feet long with a 104-foot beam and 20-foot depth. The barge capacity totals over 300 FEU RO/RO trailers combined on three cargo decks.
Each of the three cargo decks is configured in 10 traffic lanes which provide over 1 acre of wheeled chassis parking space.
Primary overhaul work consisted of hull steel structural repairs above and below deck, curbing lane repairs, and fabrication of new stern ramp kingposts. Ballasting modifications were made to the heel and trim hydraulic-operated thrusters, and cooling system heat exchangers.
Electrical repairs consisted of renewal of deck lights and conduit runs, overhaul of three generators, and electrical control panel relocations.
Activation work consisted of readying the vessels for passage through the Panama Canal. Canal items incorporated into the barges were done to facilitate line handling and piloting requirements. These items included installation of special bitts and chocks to accommodate wires employed by the canal lock locomotives and maneuvering tugs, temporary pilot lookout shelters, and sanitation facilities.
Marine Industries Northwest Inc., based in Tacoma, Wash., is a full service shipyard serving the Pacific Northwest, specializing in the conversion/repair work for barges, tugs and coastal freighters to ABS and USCG standards. Plant facilities include five acres of harbor waterfront property containing approximately 1 acre of covered fabrication and shop areas, over 800 feet of pier berthing space, and a 600-ton marine railway.
For free literature on the facilities and capabilities of Marine Industries Northwest, Circle 12 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from March 1991 issue
- Avondale Industries Joins International Shipbuilding Partnership page: 5
- Chevron Awards Grootint $111 Million Contract For North Sea Platform page: 5
- Fincantieri Receives Products Carrier Contract Worth $53.5 Million page: 8
- Icebreaker/Passenger Ferry To Be Built By Marystown Yard In Newfoundland page: 8
- Meyer Werft Delivers Fourth Gas Carrier In Series Of Six For USSR page: 10
- Trinity Marine Receives Over $138 Million In Navy Contracts page: 10
- Service Marine To Build 145-Foot Utility Boat For Gilbert Cheramie Boats page: 11
- Sperry Gyrocompass System Receives NMEA Product Award page: 11
- New Prototype Rescue Vessel, Built By Textron Marine For USCG, Credited With Saving Four Lives page: 12
- Avondale Christens 10th In Series Of 16 Auxiliary Fleet Oilers Under Construction For U.S. Navy page: 14
- Atlantic Marine Launches Casino Riverboat 'Emerald Lady' page: 16
- Ingalls Awards Baldt Contracts For Anchor, Chain And Hardware page: 18
- Marine Industries Mobilizes Large RO/RO Barges page: 18
- The Voice Of America's Towing & Barge Industry page: 20
- Teamwork, Creativity And Determination page: 21
- A New Approach To Issue Advocacy page: 21
- The Environmental Wave: Successes And Challenges page: 24
- Effects On The U.S. Fishing Industry By The Anti-Reflagging Act Of 1987 page: 26
- Peterson Builders Sign NSRP Cooperative Agreement With Navy page: 27
- Gulf Copper To Provide Facility, Services For FPSO Conversion page: 27
- MAN B&W Diesel Moves To New USA Headquarters page: 27
- Jacksonville Shipyards Awarded $2.5 Million To Repair Pemex Ship page: 28
- Newport News Names Hardison VP, Quality page: 33
- Avondale Boat Division Licensed To Construct High-Speed Hovercraft page: 33
- Rolla Introduces New Surface Piercing 'Super Propellers' page: 34
- TOWFISH SCANS SEABED— page: 34
- Navy Requests $25 Billion For Shipbuilding, Fleet Maintenance & Repair For FYs 92-93 page: 36
- ASNE 5th Annual Naval Logistics Symposium page: 38
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 39
- U.S. Yards Awarded Navy Ship Repair Pacts page: 40
- 'Arleigh Burke,' First Aegis Destroyer, Conducts Weapons Trials In Atlantic page: 41
- Saab Marine Level Gauges For Navy Oilers page: 41
- PBI Launches MCM-10, USS Warrior, Seventh in Series Of 11 For Navy; Lays Keel For MCM-12, USS Ardent page: 44
- James N. Miller Signs Swath Ocean Agreement page: 46
- Ulstein Hatloe Delivers Polar Research/Passenger Vessel To Rieber Shipping page: 47
- Amoco, China Sign Joint Agreement To Undertake $500 Million Oil Project page: 47
- Norwegian Partners Buy Six Soviet-Owned Carriers For Over $100 Million page: 47
- Sources Of U.S. Oil Imports And U.S. Oil Companies' Role In The Mideast page: 48
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT page: 50
- Marine Hydraulics International Performs Extensive Navy, Commercial Ship Repairs page: 64
- Hardigg's Rack-Mount Container Protects Electronic Marine Equipment In Transport/Storage page: 64
- Energy And Economic Security page: 66
- Viking Fender Co. Celebrates Anniversary—Introduces New Workboat Fendering System page: 68
- TANO Introduces Mil-Spec VME Modules —Literature Available page: 69
- AESA Delivers World's Largest Tuna Purse Seiner page: 70
- Panama Canal Installs Marine Fendering System From Solidur Plastics page: 70
- Micronautics Offers Free Literature On Tide Predicting Software page: 70
- RGB Spectrum Announces New Flexible Scan Converter page: 71
- Walport USA Announces New Video Safety Service page: 71
- MagneTek Purchases Rights To IBM Electronic Bus-Transfer Technology page: 73
- Aqua Signal Develops New Computer-Controlled Shipboard Lighting System page: 73
- Chris Marine Celebrates 10th Anniversary In Jacksonville, Florida page: 74
- Deutz-Powered High-Speed Xatafoil' Yacht Under Construction At T-Craft page: 81