Port Weller Awarded $10-Million Conversion

A $10-million contract to convert the St.

Lawrence Navigator from an oceangoing to a Great Lakes bulk carrier has been awarded to Port Weller Dry Docks by Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. of Toronto, Canada. The work, to be known as Hull 66, will begin in August 1979, and will be completed at the start of the 1980 shipping season.

A new bow and cargo-hold section will be fitted to the existing engine room and accommodation spaces to bring the Navigator up to the maximum Seaway size for transiting the Welland Canal.

The new 630-foot bow and cargo-hold section will be typical of a Great Lakes bulk carrier. It will have six cargo holds, 16 cargo hatches, and will be fitted with conventional side tanks.

The converted dimensions will be length overall, 730 feet; length between perpendiculars, 708 feet; breadth, molded, 75 feet 8 inches; depth, molded, 40 feet 5 inches; draft, extreme, 27 feet 7 inches, and deadweight at summer draft, 28,840 tons.

A sister ship, the St. Lawrence Prospector, will undergo a similar conversion at St. John Shipbuilding and Dry Dock. Both ships were purchased by Upper Lakes for use as oceangoing bulkers in 1975, and are being withdrawn from ocean service.

Maritime Reporter Magazine, page 16,  Dec 15, 1978 Pennsylvania

Read Port Weller Awarded $10-Million Conversion in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of December 15, 1978 Maritime Reporter

Other stories from December 15, 1978 issue

Content

Maritime Reporter

First published in 1881 Maritime Reporter is the world's largest audited circulation publication serving the global maritime industry.