Arthur Engel Chosen Maritime Man Of The Year
Arthur Engel, president and chief executive officer of Southwest Marine, Inc., has been chosen Maritime Man of the Year by The Propeller Club of The United States, Port of San Diego. Mr. Engel was presented with The Brass Hat Award by Rear Adm. Joseph Rizza, president of The Propeller Club, during ceremonies which took place recently at Hotel Del Coronado.
The award was bestowed upon Mr. Engel in honor of his efforts to promote, further, and support the maritime industry. The recipient of this award must have a track record of commendable accomplishments, and must be recognized nationally as an outstanding leader in his field.
The keynote speaker, Vice Adm.
Piotti, Commander, Sea Lift Command, Washington, D.C., addressed a crowd of over 400 attendees.
The Brass Hat Award was originally initiated in 1948 by The Propeller Club, Port of the Golden Gate, to annually honor the member who has done the most to promote the American merchant marine.
The idea was brought to the San Diego Propeller Club by Admiral Rizza, and has become a yearly event.
Other stories from July 1988 issue
- Stolt-Nielsen Buys Out Oiltanking's Interest In Houston Storage Terminal page: 4
- Curtis Bay Towing Changes Name page: 6
- Arthur Engel Chosen Maritime Man Of The Year page: 6
- General Thermodynamics Offers Free Literature On 300-A BMEP Balancer page: 6
- Wartsila Marine-Turku Delivers 1,800-Passenger Cruise Ship To Norwegian Cruise Line page: 7
- Watercom Names Gerald A. Motta VP, Operations page: 7
- SPD Technologies Acquires Brown Boveri Switchgear Unit page: 8
- Soundcoat Introduces Four Lightweight Vibration Damping Materials page: 9
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 10
- SNAME To Hold 1988 Ship Production Symposium In Seattle, August 24-26 page: 24
- Burmeister & Wain Christens Panamax Product Tanker page: 26
- MMS Brochures Detail Cost-Cutting Ship And Shore Management Systems page: 28
- Nichols Brothers Boat Builders Delivers 500-Passenger Catamaran page: 28
- BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES IN THE NEW NAVAL TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM page: 31
- House Subcommittee Looks To Open Competition To Build Fourth Aegis Destroyer page: 33
- Marinette Marine Delivers First Of Seven Training Vessels page: 33
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 36
- Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6 page: 43
- Kelly Klosure Units Used By General Ship In Navy Renovation Work page: 44
- Marine Machinery Association Holds Government-Industry Forum On Ship Repair And Parts Quality page: 45
- Equitable Reopens Louisiana Shipyard To Build Coal Barges page: 49
- MarineSafety Awarded Los Angeles Port Study page: 50
- MARINE LUBRICANTS MEETING THE DEMANDS OF NEW AND UPGRADED DIESELS page: 52
- New 12-Page PBM Catalog On Multi-Port Ball Valves page: 63
- Ameron Marine Coatings Offers High-Performance Products For Steelwork Protection page: 63
- Established Canadian Firm Designs And Builds Innovative Vessels And Marine Equipment page: 63
- American Heavy Lift Names Admiral Peet To Board of Directors page: 64