Ingalls Shipbuilding Christens U.S. Navy Cruiser Chancellorsville
The Aegis guided missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG-62) was recently christened at ceremonies at the Pascagoula, Miss., shipyard of the Ingalls Shipbuilding division of Litton Industries.
Principal speaker for the ceremony was the Hon. Trent Lott, U.S.
Representative from Pascagoula, Mississippi's Fifth Congressional District. Mrs. Edward H. Martin was chosen by the Navy as the ship's sponsor.
The 567-foot, 9,500-ton Aegis cruiser is powered by four GE LM2500 marine gas turbines and is equipped with Aegis combat equipment, the most advanced surface ship air defense system in the world.
The Chancellorsville is equipped with the MK 41 vertical launching system, a multiwarfare missile launching system capable of firing missiles against air, surface and underwater threats.
Currently in its 50th year of shipbuilding, Ingalls was chosen as the lead builder for five of the latest classes of Navy surface combatants.
Since 1975, Ingalls has delivered 50 major warships into the Navy's fleet, including eight Aegis cruisers.
As lead shipbuilder of the Aegis cruiser program, Ingalls has been contracted to build a total of 19 of the 27 cruisers Congress has authorized for construction since 1978.
For free literature detailing the shipbuilding facilities and services of Ingalls, Circle 109 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from September 1988 issue
- Officine Mariotti Yard To Perform Conversion For $118.8 Million page: 4
- Trinity Marine Group Awarded $13-Million Jordanian Contract To Build Five Workboats page: 6
- It's Time To Prepare For MARPOL Compliance* page: 7
- Versatile Pacific Delivers $80-Million Icebreaker 'Henry Larsen' page: 10
- New Radars By Simrad Offer Desirable Selection page: 10
- Ulstein Group Becoming A Major Force In Ship Equipment page: 12
- Dixie Carriers To Build And Operate Barges For Norwegian Firm page: 13
- Wartsila Engines Selected To Power 2 New Bulk Carriers And Re-Engine A Cargo Carrier page: 14
- Korea Shipbuilding Delivering Six Tankers To Norwegian Owners page: 15
- Canadian Government To Spend $624.4 Million For 12 Minesweepers page: 15
- SMM '88 page: 16
- 3.MAJ Diesel Works Builds First Sulzer RTA 72 Engine Ever page: 26
- Kelvin Hughes Successful At Posidonia Exhibition page: 27
- Harris Announces New Digital HF-SSB Radio System page: 28
- Jamesbury Expands Line Of Economical, Corrosion Resistant Vane Actuators page: 28
- MarineSafety Providing Simulator Training For Apprentice Pilots page: 29
- Damaged Navy Frigate Transported From Gulf By Heavylift Ship page: 30
- U.S. NAVY SHIP REPAIR AND MODERNIZATION page: 33
- Major Navy Contracts page: 35
- Ingalls Shipbuilding Christens U.S. Navy Cruiser Chancellorsville page: 38
- Hampton Roads SNAME Discusses Improving Producibility Of American Fast Attack Submarines page: 39
- THE LATEST ADVANCEMENTS IN PROPULSION SYSTEMS FOR TODAY'S NAVIES page: 40
- U.S. Navy Torpedo Boats To Use Omnithruster Hydrojet Systems page: 48
- Moss Point Delivers Third Of Four Logistic Support Vessels To U.S. Army page: 49
- Con-Tech Supplies Siemens Electrical Control Components For Logistic Support Vessels page: 52
- MMA Seeks Executive Secretary page: 55
- Sperry Marine's New Rascar Wins Wide Type-Approval Acceptance page: 56
- USCG Opens Door To Commercial Emergency Towing page: 56
- Seebeckwerft Receives $38.9-Million Order To Build Rail Ferry page: 57
- Autodata Division Of Acurex Expands Data Acquisition Capabilities page: 57
- Watercom Announces New And Expanded Subscriber Service page: 58
- Shipbuilding & Metal Fabrication Conference Set For October 4-5 page: 58
- Sal Berte Forms Saber Communications page: 59
- $40-Million Order Won By AESA For 140,000-Dwt Oil Tanker For CNN page: 59
- Wartsila Completes Conversion And Refurbishment Of S/S Monterey To Luxury-Class Cruise Liner page: 60
- New Propeller Boss Cap Fins Provide Significant Improvement In Efficiency page: 61
- New Joint Venture Formed For China's International Maritime Exhibition page: 65
- Nola Centurion Opens Fabrication Facility In Braithwaite, La. page: 65
- New Lot w-Cost Weather Chart Recorder From Alden Doubles As Computer Printer page: 66
- Raytheon Marine Introduces A Combination Loran With Raster Scan Plotter page: 66
- Devoe Marine And Devoe Napko Coatings Divisions Merge As Devoe Coatings Company page: 70
- Munson Delivers Cummins Triple Engine, Hamilton Jet Boat For Lake Erie Use page: 70
- Call For Papers For Conference On Advanced Marine Systems page: 71
- Yarrow Wins U.K. Frigates Order Worth $538.5 Million page: 72
- Propulsion Plant Debut For MAN B&W's Mini-Bore, Two-Stroke Diesel Engine page: 72
- New Satellite Communications System From Comsat Selected For Blue Riband Competition page: 75
- Samson Sold To Management Group—Will Focus On Expanding Use Of High Performance Ropes page: 75
- Seaward International Delivers 34 Sea Guard Marine Fenders To U.S. Naval Station In Florida page: 75
- Tidewater Marine Acquires Three Vessels In Exchange For Common Stock page: 78
- Swiss Firm Of Eckold AG Offers Free Literature On 'Press-Joining' page: 78