Swiftships Delivers Second 117-Foot Tug To Otto Candies
Swiftships, Inc. of Morgan City, La., recently delivered the second of a two-tug boat order, the 117- foot Ben Candies to Otto Candies Inc. of Des Allemandes, La.
The vessel measures 117 feet long, by 34 feet wide, and is 17 feet deep. The tug is powered by two EMD-16-645-E6 main diesel engines, with two Reintjes model 2650 gears having a ratio of 5:1, driving two Coolidge 117 by 86.1- inch propellers.
Built to ABS classification, Ice Class C, the Ben Candies capacities include 129,000 gallons of fuel oil; 8,500 gallons of ballast; 11,800 gallons of potable water, 3,500 gallons of lube oil; 700 gallons of hydraulic oil; and has accommodations for a crew of nine persons.
Electronic equipment includes two Furuno FR711 radars; a Raytheon Ray 350 loudhailer; a Furuno LC70 Loran; a Panasonic RF4900 short wave receiver; two Apelco Clipper 82 VHFs; a Hull 255 SSB; an Okeanos RS5000 Sat/ Nav; and a Datamarine 2650 depth sounder.
The tug is equipped with a single wildcat windlass by Markey, a TDSD32 Markey towing winch; and a Halon fixed flooding firefighting system. Vessel coatings are by Ameron.
Immediately after delivery, the tug assisted in the towing of a unique new unloading platform for Exxon Co. U.S.A. The 1,078- foot-tall offshore drilling platform, is designed with guylines that allow it to move slightly in hurricane force winds, 70-foot high waves or strong currents. It is located in the Gulf of Mexico in 1,000 feet of water about 110 miles south of New Orleans. (See story at right.)
Other stories from August 1983 issue
- IThe First Annual International Inland Waterways Conference & Trade Show page: 6
- NASSCO Holds Christening For Second Ingram-Class Tanker page: 14
- Dravo Offers Free 66-Page Color Brochure Describing Towboat & Barge Designs page: 15
- Genstar Appoints West Executive Vice President page: 15
- SNAME Panel SP-8 Members Survey NASSCO's Productivity Gains page: 16
- Oerlikon Opens $7-Million U.S. Manufacturing And Laboratory Plant For Welding Consumables page: 17
- Moran Appoints Two Top Executives page: 18
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Nicor Clipper- Largest Offshore Tug/Supply Vessel Built In The U.S. page: 22
- Lehman N a m e d Manager M a r i n e A n d Industrial Sales At E l e c t r o - M o t i ve page: 23
- M i d l a n d A f f i l i a t e d O f f e rs Brochure O n Inland W a t e r w a y s Services page: 23
- DECK MACHINERY A REVIEW page: 24
- Swiftships Delivers Second 117-Foot Tug To Otto Candies page: 52
- First Guyed Tower Platform Installed In Gulf of Mexico page: 52
- $ 4 - M i l l i o n C o n t a i n e r s h i ps S e p a r a t o r C o n t r a ct A w a r d e d A l f a - L a v al page: 53
- AWO Higher User Taxes Would Be Bad Economics page: 55
- Halter Marine Building Diesel-Electric Sternwheeler For 1984 World's Fair page: 58
- Newport News Completes Annual Overhaul Of Cruise Liner Veendam In 12 Days page: 63
- FMC Delivers Third Hydraulic Dump Barge To Smith-Rice page: 63
- $186-Million Contract To Convert Tanker Into Hospital Ship Awarded To National Steel page: 68
- Halifax Industries Celebrates Inauguration Of Floating Dock —Brochure Offered On Facilities page: 68
- Bender Delivers First Five Of Twenty Shrimp Boats For Guyana page: 69
- George Fegert Honored For Work With Shipyard Conference page: 74
- MSC And Ocean Carriers Sign $250-Million T-5 Tanker Pact page: 74
- Tuna Clipper Saves 80,000 Gallons Of Fuel On One Trip—Literature Available page: 74