AOTOS Award Recipient Mario Biaggi Urges Maritime Unity
Citing a "growing sense of frustration" in the lack of a unified approach to the revitalization of America's maritime industry, Rep.
Mario Biaggi of New York has urged the personal intervention of AFL-CIO president Lane Kirkland to provide the leadership in this area.
The Congressman made his remarks at the New York Hilton where he was awarded one of the maritime industry's most prestigious honors, the Admiral of the Ocean Sea (AOTOS) Award, presented on behalf of maritime labor and industry by United Seamen's Service. The award is given for distinguished service to the maritime sector.
Speaking before some 600 industry leaders, Mr. Biaggi, who is chairman of the House Merchant Marine Subcommittee, said he made the appeal in a letter dispatched earlier to Mr. Kirkland, who was the 1982 recipient of the AOTOS Award and who is a Master Mariner and member of the International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots, AFL-CIO.
A native of New York, Mr.
Biaggi was elected to the House of Representatives in 1968 and has won re-election ever since.
In his most recent return to the House he won 91 percent of the vote. He is the 15th recipient of the AOTOS Award and the sixth government representative to be so honored.
Other stories from December 15, 1983 issue
- Upgraded Facilities Dedicated At Newfoundland Dockyard page: 6
- Raytheon Marine Names John Scott Marketing And Sales Manager, Europe page: 7
- Texas Instruments Offers Platinum-Clad Anodes For Corrosion Protection —Literature Available page: 7
- Carrington Delivers The Blackburn Cove page: 8
- Report On Navy Market Available From IMA page: 8
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Offshore Problems And Solutions page: 8
- New Data Sheet Analyzing Combustion Efficiency Available From Howe-Baker page: 9
- MacGregor-Navire Cargo Access Equipment Ordered For Blue Star Reefers page: 9
- Jacobs Joins Contromatics In Marketing/Sales Position page: 10
- Malcomson Named Manager Of Manufacturing For Raytheon And Sorensen page: 10
- MSC Awards $200 Million In Contracts For Four More SL-7 Conversions page: 12
- Aqua-Chem Introduces New Plate-Type Evaporator —Literature Available page: 13
- Wesmar Sonar Effective In Shallow-Water Operations —Literature Available page: 13
- Frigate De Wert (FFG-45) Delivered Early By Bath Iron Works page: 14
- Navy Rescue/Salvage Vessel Launched At Peterson Builders page: 15
- Jackup Rig For West Africa Launched At Promet Yard page: 18
- Work Progressing On USS Kalamazoo Overhaul At Hoboken Shipyards page: 18
- The 91st SNAME Annual Meeting A Special Post-Meeting And Exposition Report page: 20
- Navy Extends Contracts With COMSAT General For Use Of MARISAT page: 27
- Kockums Profit Continues With Backlog of Orders Worth SEK 4,700 Million page: 28
- Marpol/Solas Compliance Subject Of 60-Page Book Offered By Intertanko page: 28
- Harland & Wolff To Build And Market Friendship Multi-Purpose Cargo Ship page: 28
- Maritime Protection Unveils New Nitrogen Generator— Literature Available page: 29
- $30-Million Navy Contract On Landing Craft Awarded To Bell Aerospace Textron page: 30
- First Of Sulzer's New RTA Engine Series Powers Mitsubishi-Built Bulker page: 30
- American-Standard Opens New Jersey Repair Plant —Literature Available page: 31
- Gladding-Hearn Delivers Two Launches To Virginia Pilots page: 34
- Newfoundland's Windsor Cites $93 Million In New Projects page: 34
- Nylands Expands Its Diesel Spares Operations —New Catalog Available page: 35
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Attack Submarine Buffalo (SSN-715) page: 36
- AOTOS Award Recipient Mario Biaggi Urges Maritime Unity page: 36
- Crane Packing Offers Brochure On New Metal Bellows Pump Shaft Seal page: 37
- Novel Hagglunds Cranes Retrofitted On Cargo Ship Built In Shanghai page: 37
- IMO Expands Its Line Of Geared Twin-Screw Pumps —Literature Available page: 38
- New Navidyne Option Reports Ship's Position In Response To Telex Call page: 38
- Epton Completes Order For Canada's Largest Marine Fenders page: 39
- Philadelphia Gear Licensed To Manufacture I Hi's Duckpeller page: 39
- Daewoo Delivers Second $80-Million Pacesetter Rig To Santa Fe Drilling page: 40
- WESMAR Presents Stability Computer To 'President Lincoln' —Literature Available page: 40
- McDermott Shipyards To Build Inter-Island Barge For Matson page: 41
- New Tunnel Thruster Model Introduced By Omnithruster page: 50
- Bell Aerospace Awarded Navy Contract For Final Phase Of Minesweeper Hunter Design page: 50