Vulkan RATO-S Couplings Featured On ARCO Tankers
The new ARCO Millennium Class Tankers are designed to meet or exceed the latest ABS rules with double bulkheads and twin-engine rooms with a continuous bulkhead from the keel to the top of the stack and twin rudders.
Each engine room is designed and equipped as a separate, independent space. ARCO Marine will operate with these double hull tankers for the weekly 2,400 mile round trip voyage from Valdez/Alaska to Cherry Point,Wash, for Alaskan crude-oil transportation.
The Millennium Tankers are being built at Litton Avondale Shipyard. The main propulsion engines are from Manises Diesel Engine, Madrid, Spain. They are two-stroke MAN B&W 7S50MC - C delivering continuous power of 11,060 kW at 127-rpm.
The engines are lighter and shorter while delivering higher power rating.
Renk secured the contract from Manises for the delivery of the complete PTO plants. Connected with the engines through Vulkan RATO-S 7331 flexible couplings is one BSL 225 Renk PTO gear unit each to drive a generator, capable of developing at 1,200 rpm an electrical output of 8,600 kW for onboard requirements, i.e.
especially for the cargo pumps. The propeller thrust bearings are arranged separately and comprise a redundant hydraulically operated disk clutch (Renk patent) for separating or connecting the main engine and propeller in operation. The main reason Vulkan Couplings were chosen is the excellent torsional vibration characteristic of the RATO-S Coupling.
Circle 399 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from June 15, 2000 issue
- Annual Reports page: 88A
- Astano's 'Discovery' Series Uncovers Unlimited Potential page: 7
- A Quality Blend Rolls-Royce page: 8
- Horizon To Build OSV Trio page: 12
- A Practical Discussion Regarding Compliance page: 14
- Spain Chosen As Partner Country of SMM 2000 page: 18
- South African Navy Taps GE page: 21
- Midland Enterprises Expands With The Times page: 24
- Bollinger Delivers Two Barges page: 25
- The World Yearbook. Cruise Industry page: 34
- Transforming a Transportation Company into A Successful e-Business page: 36
- Tradiant Melding The Best Of Tech And Transport page: 36
- Dot Com, Maritime Style page: 42
- MTN, DSI Complete Internet Cafe Installation page: 47
- DCS: High Speed Data To Service Fast-Evolving E-World page: 47
- Shipowners Should Take E-Commerce Seriously page: 47
- Setting a Course For Stability? page: 49
- Vulkan RATO-S Couplings Featured On ARCO Tankers page: 52
- The New Age of Containerization page: 54
- The Year of Little Change page: 59
- Crewboats: More Size, Weight And Power page: 64
- The Big Six page: 70
- Shipbuilders Discuss Gameplan page: 73
- Hornbeck-Leevac Announces Significant Expansion Of Its OSV Fleet page: 75
- New Book Examines Undersea Combat page: 88
- Instruments, Computers & Controls Goes Digital page: 98