Michigan Wheel Awarded Navy Contract For Carrier And Oiler Propellers
Michigan Wheel Gulf Coast, Inc.
of Pascagoula, Miss., has been awarded a $898,714 contract by the Naval Sea Systems Command for the manufacture of four attack aircraft carrier propellers and an additional propeller for a Navy oiler.
The carrier propellers are fivebladed and will weigh approximately 68,500 pounds each. The oiler propeller is a seven-blade design that will weigh approximately 68,000 pounds. Both types will be cast in nickle-aluminumbronze.
Navsea has also exercised an option for four additional guidedmissile frigate (DLG-16 Class) propellers, bringing to 10 the total to be built by Michigan under a contract awarded in mid-1983. The DLG-16 propellers are a five-bladed design with an estimated finished weight of approximately 24,000 pounds each. Exercise of the option clause brought the value of that contract up to $1,081,769.
Michigan Wheel Gulf Coast, a wholly owned subsidiary of Michigan Wheel Corporation, operates a fully integrated foundry, machine shop, and finishing department at the Pascagoula complex, dedicated to the manufacture and repair of large-diameter propellers cast in nickle-aluminum bronze, manganese bronze, and stainless steel.
The plant manufactures bronze wheels up to 110,000 pounds finished weight and stainless-steel wheels up to 14,500 pounds finished weight.
For additional information on Michigan Wheel, Circle 85 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from January 1984 issue
- Navy Contracts Totaling $477 Million Awarded To Avondale Shipyards page: 5
- Marinette Marine Awarded $1-Million Minesweeper Phase II Design Contract page: 5
- Brown & Root Inc. Forms Joint Venture In Holland With Two Dutch Companies page: 5
- Bethlehem Steel Signs Licensing Agreement For Tension Moored Platforms page: 5
- WEAKENING THE JONES ACT page: 6
- New Bath Iron Works Repair Facility Opens In Portland page: 6
- Penske G M Power Head Discusses Service Support For Maritime Industry page: 6
- Modern Fuel Systems Symposium page: 10
- Jacobson Delivers Shipdocking Tug 'Chessie' To Chessie System page: 10
- Latest Europort Exhibition A "Resounding Success" page: 10
- Carmen Guide Appointed President Of Lake Shore —Malsack Named Chairman page: 12
- Mobile Marine Introduces Advanced-Design Workboat page: 12
- Financing Completed For U.S. Lines Containerships Building At Daewoo Yard page: 13
- Navidyne Unveils New INMARSAT Ship Terminal —Literature Available page: 13
- Indikon Introduces New Web Deflection Indicator —Literature Available page: 14
- T C S Industrial Appointed Distributor for NABRICO —Literature Available page: 14
- Joint SNAME, IME And NYPE Meeting Discusses Use of Inexpensive Fuels page: 16
- OUTSTANDING OFFSHORE/SHALLOW-DRAFT VESSELS OF 1983 page: 18
- Michigan Wheel Awarded Navy Contract For Carrier And Oiler Propellers page: 18
- Seaworthy Engine Systems Shortens Corporate Name page: 18
- Joel Alper Appointed President Of COMSAT World Systems Division page: 18
- REDUCING FUEL COSTS First In a Series-Propulsion Equipment page: 20
- Esercizio Cantieri Launches Tug/Supply Vessel Of New Design page: 41
- NASSCO Begins Conversion Of First Maritime Pre-Positioning RO/RO page: 41
- New Marine Autopilots Introduced By Racal —Literature Available page: 42
- Steam Plant Optimization Topic At New York Port Engineers Meeting page: 42
- AWO SHIPYARDS AND THE JONES ACT page: 44
- BIW Chief Engineer Addresses Northern New England ASNE page: 45
- Lifeboat Quick-Drop System Unveiled By SeaTek And MCR page: 45
- Charles Garman Named Western Sales Manager For Stork-Werkspoor page: 48
- Omnithruster Establishes New Manufacturing Facility In Canada —Literature Available page: 49
- Scholarship For Panamanian Students At Kings Point Funded by Justin Bonanno page: 50
- O'Boyle Firm Appointed Exclusive U.S. Agent For Astilleros Espanoles page: 51
- Epoxo Safety Coating Helps Prevent Slipping —Literature Available page: 53
- Mitsui Delivers First Of Four Bulk Carriers To Egyptian Owner page: 53
- Stork-Werkspoor Engines Will Power Exxon Tugboats page: 56
- Barge-Mounted Nine-Story Hotel Proposed By NKK page: 56
- New Design Cranes Installed On Navy's Auxiliary Drydocks page: 56
- New Fuel Management System From Pandel —Literature Available page: 63