Stork-Werkspoor Engines Will Power Exxon Tugboats
Stork-Werkspoor Diesel by (SWD) has thus far sold eight of the Dutch company's F240 engines for use by United States towing firms.
Joop Zwart, U.S. sales manager, said that three tugs being built for the Exxon Corporation will each be equipped with a pair of 9-cylinder, F240, 2,000-bhp engines. Shaver Transportation Company of Portland, Ore., will replace two older SWD diesels in the firm's tug Columbia, with the newer 6-cylinder F240, 1,270-hp turbocharged engines for service on the Columbia/Snake river systems.
Morrison-Knudsen Company, the international construction firm that is supervising the project, placed the order for the Exxon engines.
The tugs, which will be built in the Damen Shipyards, Gorinchem, Netherlands, will be used in Columbia, South America. The tugs were designed by The Glosten Associates, Seattle naval architects.
Charles Garman, recently appointed SWD sales manager on the U.S. West Coast, also said that a similar engine would be installed in the Ilduso Fisheries' trawler MAR-GUN.
The vessel will be re-engined at Pacific Fisherman, Inc., in Ballard, Wash.
Meanwhile, SWD has begun deliveries of the first of ten 18-cylinder TM410 diesels to General Dynamic's Quincy Shipbuilding Division in Massachusetts. The engines will be used in five roll-on/roll-off prepositioning supply vessels for the U.S. Navy. A pair of TM410 engines will give each ship 27,600 bhp of propulsion power.
Other stories from January 1984 issue
- Navy Contracts Totaling $477 Million Awarded To Avondale Shipyards page: 5
- Marinette Marine Awarded $1-Million Minesweeper Phase II Design Contract page: 5
- Brown & Root Inc. Forms Joint Venture In Holland With Two Dutch Companies page: 5
- Bethlehem Steel Signs Licensing Agreement For Tension Moored Platforms page: 5
- WEAKENING THE JONES ACT page: 6
- New Bath Iron Works Repair Facility Opens In Portland page: 6
- Penske G M Power Head Discusses Service Support For Maritime Industry page: 6
- Modern Fuel Systems Symposium page: 10
- Jacobson Delivers Shipdocking Tug 'Chessie' To Chessie System page: 10
- Latest Europort Exhibition A "Resounding Success" page: 10
- Carmen Guide Appointed President Of Lake Shore —Malsack Named Chairman page: 12
- Mobile Marine Introduces Advanced-Design Workboat page: 12
- Financing Completed For U.S. Lines Containerships Building At Daewoo Yard page: 13
- Navidyne Unveils New INMARSAT Ship Terminal —Literature Available page: 13
- Indikon Introduces New Web Deflection Indicator —Literature Available page: 14
- T C S Industrial Appointed Distributor for NABRICO —Literature Available page: 14
- Joint SNAME, IME And NYPE Meeting Discusses Use of Inexpensive Fuels page: 16
- OUTSTANDING OFFSHORE/SHALLOW-DRAFT VESSELS OF 1983 page: 18
- Michigan Wheel Awarded Navy Contract For Carrier And Oiler Propellers page: 18
- Seaworthy Engine Systems Shortens Corporate Name page: 18
- Joel Alper Appointed President Of COMSAT World Systems Division page: 18
- REDUCING FUEL COSTS First In a Series-Propulsion Equipment page: 20
- Esercizio Cantieri Launches Tug/Supply Vessel Of New Design page: 41
- NASSCO Begins Conversion Of First Maritime Pre-Positioning RO/RO page: 41
- New Marine Autopilots Introduced By Racal —Literature Available page: 42
- Steam Plant Optimization Topic At New York Port Engineers Meeting page: 42
- AWO SHIPYARDS AND THE JONES ACT page: 44
- BIW Chief Engineer Addresses Northern New England ASNE page: 45
- Lifeboat Quick-Drop System Unveiled By SeaTek And MCR page: 45
- Charles Garman Named Western Sales Manager For Stork-Werkspoor page: 48
- Omnithruster Establishes New Manufacturing Facility In Canada —Literature Available page: 49
- Scholarship For Panamanian Students At Kings Point Funded by Justin Bonanno page: 50
- O'Boyle Firm Appointed Exclusive U.S. Agent For Astilleros Espanoles page: 51
- Epoxo Safety Coating Helps Prevent Slipping —Literature Available page: 53
- Mitsui Delivers First Of Four Bulk Carriers To Egyptian Owner page: 53
- Stork-Werkspoor Engines Will Power Exxon Tugboats page: 56
- Barge-Mounted Nine-Story Hotel Proposed By NKK page: 56
- New Design Cranes Installed On Navy's Auxiliary Drydocks page: 56
- New Fuel Management System From Pandel —Literature Available page: 63