Innovative Propulsion System for Ferry
The Merrimac Ferry, which crosses the Wisconsin River between Sauk and Columbia counties, is Wisconsin's only free ferry. It shuttles WIS 113 traffic between Okee on the east bank and Merrimac on the west. In the 150 plus years that a ferry has operated at this location it has been propelled by muscle, river current, gasoline engine and diesel.
Most recently it has pulled itself along on a pair of cables crossing the river.
The ferry is so popular that it has not been replaced by a bridge and. in spite of nearby bridges, car loads of tourist line up regularly to ride it. The ferry's popularity is such that this past winter a larger 15-car vessel has been built to replace the existing 1960s era 12 car Colsac II. To be named the Colsac III.
105 x 44-ft. (32 x 13.4 m) boat was built by Basic Marine of Escanaba Michigan to a design by naval architect Timothy Graul. Power for the ferry will be provided by a single Cummins 6CT8.3- D(M). A single generator will be operated off the front of the engine and a pair of hydraulic pumps off the rear. One pump is for the ferry ramps while the other is for propulsion. The ferry, which has additional ice strengthening, will go into service this spring.
Other stories from June 2003 issue
- SS Norway Boiler Room Explosion Claims Seven Lives page: 3
- 95th Anniversary of the Burning of General Slocum page: 8
- Color Line Builds IT Environment With SIS page: 12
- BASS Provides New CrewNet Version page: 12
- Inmarsat Launch New Fleet Services page: 16
- Northrop Grumman Completes Builder's Trials on USS Ronald Reagan page: 17
- AIS - Panacea or Pandora's Box page: 18
- Government Update page: 20
- Seabulk Contracts for PSV in Brazil page: 22
- A.K. Suda Designed Crew/Supply Boat Carries More for Less page: 24
- Seminar Series Aims to Ensure Compliance page: 26
- NOAA Ship Whiting Decommissioned After 3 9 Years Of Service page: 29
- Enter the LNG-Fueled Supply Ship page: 30
- Triple Delivery for FBM Babcock Marine page: 31
- Innovative Propulsion System for Ferry page: 32
- America's Super Liner to Set Sail Once Again? page: 34
- Bulker Water Ingress Alarms page: 40
- Bulkers Shaped by Regulations? page: 40
- Prestige - A Charterer's Reaction page: 44
- U.S. Shipbuilding 2003: A Congested Attempt to Fund page: 48
- Littoral Combat Ship Leads the Charge page: 54
- New FSPV Vessel Unveiled page: 62
- SSS: Separate Storage Shuttling page: 62
- Tuna Farming Goes Offshore page: 64
- NOx Emissions from Merchant Ships page: 68
- Salvage Posture Changing With The Times page: 73
- A Step Forward For Thick Section Plate Cutting page: 77