SNAME Philadelphia Section Hears Presentation On 'Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion'
The Philadelphia Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers held its March meeting at the Engineers' Club in Center City. Seventy members and guests were on hand for the presentation of a paper entitled "Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) — a General Review," by Robert M. Eisert.
Following the social hour and dinner, coordinator J.M. Ballinger called on E.
Schorsch, vice president of science and technology at Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., to open the technical session and introduce the author. Mr. Schorsch outlined the work done in recent years by Sun, in support of the OTEC Concept proposed by the Applied Physics Laboratory (A.P.L.) of the Johns Hopkins University.
Mr. Eisert is manager of machinery sciences at Sun, and has been directly involved in that company's support of the A.P.L.
work in this field.
"Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion is a concept by which power is generated in a cycle operating with ocean surface water as a heat source, and deep-ocean water as heat sink. It requires large volume flows per unit power output, but consumes no fuel and produces no environmentally negative by-products." The OTEC concept is not new. It is discussed in papers dated 1881, and an open cycle plant was built and operated by Georges Claude in 1930. In light of the current energy awareness, the idea has received much more attention in recent years, and the paper reviews those plants which are now the subjects of serious study.
The paper was well received, and the author was presented with a certificate of appreciation by A.C. Brown, chairman of the Philadelphia Section.
Read SNAME Philadelphia Section Hears Presentation On 'Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion' in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of May 15, 1977 Maritime Reporter
Other stories from May 15, 1977 issue
- Conoco And Mitsui Group Verify Feasibility Of Floating Methanol Plant page: 4
- Dravo Corporation Names M.B. Meyer And J.J. Burke page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Creates New Ship Conversion Planning Department page: 6
- Literature Describes Solid State Salinity Indicating System page: 8
- Camlock Appoints Alexander Industries page: 9
- George Manchester Joins Uniflite, Inc. page: 9
- IHI Delivers 269,800-DWT Texaco Caribbean page: 11
- Norfolk Shipbuilding And Drydock Corporation Signs Two Multimillion-Dollar Contracts page: 11
- Donald Rumsfeld Guest Speaker At Worthington Technical Awards Dinner Honoring Young Engineers page: 12
- ASNE Pascagoula Section Hears Technical Paper On Marine Boiler Controls page: 13
- Alden Introduces FM Facsimile Recorders page: 26
- Norfolk Ship Names Richardson And Eure To New Positions —Officers Reelected page: 26
- Seabury McGown Named Uniflite's Manager Of Contracts Administration page: 28
- Seatrain Int'l Forms Saudi Container Services As Joint Venture page: 28
- Marine Concrete Forms Repair Division page: 29
- The Care And Lubrication Of Marine Diesel Engines page: 35
- St. Louis Ship Names Cumming And Storck page: 36
- Farboil Co. Appoints Maritime Supply For Southern Florida page: 36
- Line Fast Announces Improved Container Securing Twist Lock page: 37
- Columbus Line Names Two Assistant VPs page: 37
- First New York Port Navigational Aid & Communications Conference Is A Success page: 38
- Basil Rusovich Elected President Int'l Trade Mart page: 39
- New Dravo SteelShip Descriptive Brochures Now Available page: 39
- The Education Of Engineers For The Ocean Industry Is Subject Of SNAME Meeting page: 40
- Equitable Shipyards Launches Ferryboat V i r g i n i a Dare For State Of North Carolina page: 40
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Hears Presentation On 'Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion' page: 41
- Halter Delivery To Tidewater Completes Eighty-Six Vessel Fleet Expansion Program page: 41
- EDO Corporation Names John Devine To Head International Division page: 44
- Newport News Appoints John H. McMullen Jr. page: 44
- Chesapeake Section Of SNAME Hears Papers On Propeller Cavitation And Unsteady Forces page: 45
- Gulf's Oil Recovery Vessel For Bantry Bay, Ireland Built In Rhode Island By Blount Marine page: 46
- COMSAT General Elects McLucas President- Johnson Named Chairman page: 47
- Return On Tankship Investment Subject Of N.Y. SNAME Meeting page: 48
- Sun Ship Names Schmitt Naval Architect Administrative Division page: 49
- 128 Plant Facilities Located On Waterways In Fourth Quarter '76 page: 49
- NASSCO Elects Evans Vice Pres.-Engineering page: 50
- Gulf Section SNAME Holds Annual Spring Meeting page: 50
- Two Matson Navigation Executives Trade Jobs page: 51
- Paceco Holds Third International Conference page: 51