Gulf Section SNAME Holds Annual Spring Meeting
Members of the Gulf Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers recently met at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans, La., for their Annual Spring Meeting.
Rear Adm. William H. Livingston, USN (ret.), president of the Louisiana Shipbuilding and Repair Association, gave the keynote address at the luncheon meeting.
Throughout the day, technical papers were presented by authors from the Gulf Section, which includes Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.
"We were delighted these papers were so enthusiastically received," said Papers chairman Ralph Martin of the American Bureau of Shipping in New Orleans.
Contributors included Harrv W.
O'Brien Jr., "SCR Controlled Propulsion"; Robert H. Nichols and William H. Johnston, "State of the Art of Shipboard Drives — Past, Present, and Future"; Jack Irick, "Design and Construction of the Hondo Platform in 850 Feet of Water in the Santa Barbara Channel"; G. Rogers Smith and S.M. Sangiri, "Selection of Semi-Submersible Drilling Vessels Based on Topside Live Loading Capabilities"; Jack Brandau, "The Ship Model Basin — A Valuable Tool to the Naval Architect" ; and Gary Rook, "Bayou Boat Building as it Relates to Modern Tug Design." A dinner-dance at the Fairmont Hotel for the 450 guests culminated the day's activities.
Louisiana Lt. Gov. James Fitzmorris was the special guest at the evening social.
General chairman of the Gulf Section is Fred Shumaker of El Paso LNG Co. He will be succeeded in 1977 by William W.
Hamilton of Friede & Goldman, Inc.
Other stories from May 15, 1977 issue
- Conoco And Mitsui Group Verify Feasibility Of Floating Methanol Plant page: 4
- Dravo Corporation Names M.B. Meyer And J.J. Burke page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Creates New Ship Conversion Planning Department page: 6
- Literature Describes Solid State Salinity Indicating System page: 8
- Camlock Appoints Alexander Industries page: 9
- George Manchester Joins Uniflite, Inc. page: 9
- IHI Delivers 269,800-DWT Texaco Caribbean page: 11
- Norfolk Shipbuilding And Drydock Corporation Signs Two Multimillion-Dollar Contracts page: 11
- Donald Rumsfeld Guest Speaker At Worthington Technical Awards Dinner Honoring Young Engineers page: 12
- ASNE Pascagoula Section Hears Technical Paper On Marine Boiler Controls page: 13
- Alden Introduces FM Facsimile Recorders page: 26
- Norfolk Ship Names Richardson And Eure To New Positions —Officers Reelected page: 26
- Seabury McGown Named Uniflite's Manager Of Contracts Administration page: 28
- Seatrain Int'l Forms Saudi Container Services As Joint Venture page: 28
- Marine Concrete Forms Repair Division page: 29
- The Care And Lubrication Of Marine Diesel Engines page: 35
- St. Louis Ship Names Cumming And Storck page: 36
- Farboil Co. Appoints Maritime Supply For Southern Florida page: 36
- Line Fast Announces Improved Container Securing Twist Lock page: 37
- Columbus Line Names Two Assistant VPs page: 37
- First New York Port Navigational Aid & Communications Conference Is A Success page: 38
- Basil Rusovich Elected President Int'l Trade Mart page: 39
- New Dravo SteelShip Descriptive Brochures Now Available page: 39
- The Education Of Engineers For The Ocean Industry Is Subject Of SNAME Meeting page: 40
- Equitable Shipyards Launches Ferryboat V i r g i n i a Dare For State Of North Carolina page: 40
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Hears Presentation On 'Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion' page: 41
- Halter Delivery To Tidewater Completes Eighty-Six Vessel Fleet Expansion Program page: 41
- EDO Corporation Names John Devine To Head International Division page: 44
- Newport News Appoints John H. McMullen Jr. page: 44
- Chesapeake Section Of SNAME Hears Papers On Propeller Cavitation And Unsteady Forces page: 45
- Gulf's Oil Recovery Vessel For Bantry Bay, Ireland Built In Rhode Island By Blount Marine page: 46
- COMSAT General Elects McLucas President- Johnson Named Chairman page: 47
- Return On Tankship Investment Subject Of N.Y. SNAME Meeting page: 48
- Sun Ship Names Schmitt Naval Architect Administrative Division page: 49
- 128 Plant Facilities Located On Waterways In Fourth Quarter '76 page: 49
- NASSCO Elects Evans Vice Pres.-Engineering page: 50
- Gulf Section SNAME Holds Annual Spring Meeting page: 50
- Two Matson Navigation Executives Trade Jobs page: 51
- Paceco Holds Third International Conference page: 51