First Of Three Catug/Barge Units Christened At Avondale Yard
Christening ceremonies were held recently at Avondale Shipyards near New Orleans for the first of three integrated catug/ barge vessels currently under construction there for use by Occidental Petroleum Corporation.
The Oxy Trader is designed to carry phosphoric acid and other liquid chemicals in six stainlesssteel center tanks, and petroleum products in 10 wing tanks.
Mrs. Cynthia Dorgan, wife of John J. Dorgan, executive vice president-finance and administration of Occidental Petroleum, was the vessel's sponsor. Mrs. Barbara Culhane assisted as matron of honor; she is the wife of John H. Culhane, vice president-planning and business development for Occidental.
The Oxy Trader has an overall length of 677 feet 4 inches, beam of 99 feet, depth to main deck of 50 feet, and design draft of 36 feet. Deadweight at design draft is approximately 39,500 long tons. The catug is powered by twin Colt-Pielstick PC2.5V400 diesel engines built by Fairbanks Morse, each with a maximum continuous rating of 9,100 bhp, driving two 20-foot-diameter propellers.
Speed on sea trials at 85 percent of mcr was about 15.5 knots.
The new vessel is one of 10 Catug units currently under construction in the United States.
Occidental Petroleum will use the Oxy Trader in its worldwide chemical and petroleum trade.
Only two Catug units, the Seabulk Challenger and the Seabulk Magnaches, built in 1974 and 1976, respectively, for Seabulk Corporation, an affiliate of Hvide Shipping, Inc., have been in operation, serving the U.S. Gulf Coast.
The Catug system, developed by Hvide Shipping, which holds a license to patent rights on the design, is an integrated catamaran type tug and barge combination designed for efficiency, allweather performance, and speed similar to conventional vessels.
However, the combination of twin-screw, dual propulsion units substantially reduces operating costs and is more maneuverable than conventional vessels.
Other principals involved in the Oxy Trader christening ceremony included Albert L. Bossier Jr., president of Avondale Shipyards, Inc., who presided over the ceremony, and Mr. Dorgan, who delivered the principal address. Miss Dawn Stieffel, daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. Kenneth Stieffel, served as flower girl. The position of flower girl is traditionally given to the daughter of an Avondale employee. Miss Stieffel's father is employed in the Sheet Metal Shop at the Main Plant.
Avondale Shipyards, Inc. is a subsidiary of Ogden Corporation, which operates in the major markets of metals, transportation, and food. Although principally a shipbuilder, Avondale is a diversified company with f a c i l i t i es that include repair yards, a foundry, a special products division, steel sales, and a facility near the Gulf at Bayou Black, La., that builds offshore drilling rigs.
Occidental Petroleum is a major producer and distributor of chemicals for agricultural, consumer, and industrial markets.
The multinational company is under the leadership of board chairman Armand Hammer.
Other stories from January 15, 1981 issue
- Australia Fights Oil Spills With MARCO Class I Skimmers page: 6
- $53.2-Million Contract For Supply Boats Signed By Halter page: 7
- Riverway Shipyard Co. Completes Construction Of 120-Foot Tank Barge page: 7
- Twin Towing/Supply Vessels Delivered By Quality Shipyards page: 8
- Bulletin On New Fuel Oil Blending Unit Available From IMO page: 9
- Australia Receives First Of Four Gas-Turbine-Powered FFGs From Todd Seattle page: 10
- SNAME Los Angeles Section Hears Paper On Noise Control page: 10
- Kockums Sells LNG Ship To West German Consortium page: 10
- Twin-Screw Supply Vessel Delivered By Bender Shipbuilding page: 12
- Three Executive Changes Announced By Ellicott Machine Corporation page: 12
- RYSCO Delivers Another Tug/Supply Vessel To Billy Pugh Offshore page: 14
- APL And Port Of LA. Join To Develop New Container Terminal page: 14
- Electro-Nav To Furnish Electronics Parts And Service For Polish Ships page: 14
- RCA Adds Radiotelephone To Marine Equipment Line —Literature Available page: 16
- Fritz Named Supervisor Of Engineering Computer Operations At J.J. Henry page: 16
- Hitachi To Build Third Jackup Rig For Danish J.L Offshore Drilling page: 18
- J.E. Folsom Named Gulf Region Sales Manager For Hydranautics page: 18
- Simrad Introduces New Microcomputer-Controlled Loran C Navigator page: 19
- Tracor Marine Awarded $8-Million Contract By Rockwell International page: 20
- Joint SNAME/ASNE Meeting Hears Report On SPC Coating page: 20
- Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard Completes Jackup For Temple Drilling page: 21
- Bay Shipbuilding Launches Tank Barge For Hannah Marine page: 22
- Henschel Introduces New Ship's Bell Logger- Literature Available page: 22
- DeJong Designs Biggest Voith Schneider Tug Built In United States page: 23
- National Marine Gets Title XI Approval On $38.5-Million Orders page: 24
- Dravo Corporation Seeking To Acquire Ryan-Walsh Companies page: 26
- MARCO Seattle Christens New North Pacific Fishing Vessel page: 26
- Halter Delivers Two Crewboats For Service Offshore Brazil page: 28
- New Color Brochure On Escher Wyss Props Available At No Cost page: 28
- MSC Will Charter Sun Transport's New Product Carrier 'New York Sun' page: 28
- Belcher Towing To Add Powerful Docking Tug To Its Miami Fleet page: 29
- Heavy-Lift Derrick Barge Can Lift Up To 400 Tons page: 32
- Ingalls Awarded Fourth Keyes Offshore Contract For Jackup Drilling Rig page: 32
- Jacksonville P.A. To Spend $25.5 Million To Expand Blount Island Facility page: 32
- Wheelock Maritime Ltd. Orders Two Bulkers From China Corporation page: 33
- Norwegian Firm Offers New Control Option For Ship-Handling System page: 33
- Ingalls Shipbuilding Promotes Three To Vice Presdent Posts page: 34
- New Searchlight Announced By Phoenix Products- Literature Available page: 34
- McDermott Acquires Welding Equipment And Technology From Price page: 34
- McNab Announces Fuel Management System- Literature Available page: 34
- $7.7 Million Authorized For Improvements At Newport News Terminal page: 35
- Worthington Establishes Pump Specialty Shop For Replacement Parts page: 36
- A r e n d a l Y a r d Completes J a c k u p D r i l l i n g Rig For Swedish Owners page: 36
- SSB A n t e n n a I n t r o d u c ed By Phelps D o d g e - L i t e r a t u r e A v a i l a b le page: 37
- Fred Eisenbiegler Named To Board Of Trustees At Webb Institute page: 39
- New Offshore Mooring System Under Development In Scotland page: 39
- $180-Million Satellite Communications System Approved By INMARSAT page: 42
- Maencor Adds New Management Personnel page: 43
- Senermar Announce New Mini-Computer Version Of FORAN System page: 43
- Marland Licensed To Build And Market New Oil/Water Separator page: 43
- Rados International To Design Purse Seiners For Mexico page: 44
- Bay Shipbuilding Will Build Oceangoing Bulk Cargo Barge For Universal American page: 45
- Bergeron Launches 100th Vessel Built At Its Mississippi Facility page: 45
- General Ship Corporation Yard Is Purchased By Private Investors page: 45
- Oceangoing Tank Barge Launched At FMC Yard page: 46
- Electric Boat Launches Attack Submarine 'Baltimore' page: 46
- First Of Three Catug/Barge Units Christened At Avondale Yard page: 58
- SNAME Pacific Northwest Section Holds Meeting In Canada page: 58