MHI To Construct Biggest Cruise Ship Ever Built In Japan
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) has received an order to build a 960-passenger cruise ship from Japanese shipowner Nippon Yusen Kaisha (NYK Line). At 49,000 gross tons, she would be the biggest cruise ship ever built in Japan.
To be built at MHI's Nagasaki yard, the cruise ship will have a length of about 787 feet, breadth of 97 feet and draft of 24.6 feet. Her propulsion machinery will be diesel electric, with four sets of MAN B&W medium-speed diesel engines each developing 11,750 bhp at 400 rpm. These engines will generate electricity through four 8,200-kw generators and one auxiliary, distributing power through 6.6 kv main switchboard to two cyclo-converters.
The electric power will be used in part to drive two propulsion motors of 11,500 kw each, as well as two controllable pitch propellers. The ship will also be equipped with two bowthruster units.
Due for completion in the first half of 1990, she will be the first Japanese cruise ship specifically aimed at the lucrative U.S. market.
She has a proposed cruising itinerary which includes the Far East in the spring, Alaska/Vancouver in the summer, the west coast of Mexico/ Panama Canal/Caribbean for autumn and the South Pacific/Oceania/ Southeast Asia for winter.
On her 12 decks, this luxury liner will have two restaurants, several lounges, a night club, cafe, cinema, casino, card room, disco, gym, sauna, spa, jacuzzi, boutique and a beauty salon. She will feature luxurious passenger accommodations.
For free literature full detailing the shipbuilding facilities of MHI, Circle 32 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 1988 issue
- SPD Technologies Awarded Canadian Navy Contract page: 5
- NATIONAL WATERWAYS CONFERENCE TO HOLD 1988 ANNUAL MEETING IN NASHVILLE page: 6
- Barge Line Cuts Costs A n d Improves O p e r a t i n g Efficiency By Using Vessel M a n a g e m e n t System page: 9
- Gulf C r a f t Delivers 150-Passenger Party Fishing Boat page: 9
- M e y e r W e r f t S h i p y a r d Delivers Luxury Liner C r o w n Odyssey For Royal Cruise Line page: 12
- MXD 400 Range Of Oils Discussed In Free Color Brochure From Castrol page: 13
- Peterson Builders Launches Their Fourth M C M For U.S. N a vy page: 14
- Deutz M W M Offers Diesel Engines For Propulsion, Power G e n e r a t i on A b o a r d N a v a l Vessels page: 15
- A REPORT O N EUROPEAN SHIPBUILDING page: 16
- Indal Technologies Wins $10-Million Patrol Frigate Contract page: 18
- Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6 page: 19
- Level Switches For Use In 55-Gallon Drums Available In 3 Versions From GEMS page: 19
- Wallenius Transferring Large Car Carrier To U.S. Flag page: 20
- Trinity Marine Group To Build 110-Foot Harbor Tug For Chevron page: 21
- OUTSTANDING SHALLOW-DRAFT PASSENGER VESSELS page: 22
- E.N. Bisso And Son Add Powerful Tug To Fleet page: 27
- Stauff Introduces New Full-Port High-Pressure Ball Valve page: 27
- N e w p o r t N e w s A w a r d ed Contracts Totaling $ 3 . 7 Billion To Construct T w o Carriers page: 28
- Patti S h i p y a r d Delivers 1 , 2 0 0 - P a s s e n g e r Riverboat To Robert's River Rides page: 28
- Ulstein Converts Containership To Fish Factory T r a w l er For U.S. Owner page: 29
- M A N B & W Diesel To Power Chandris Luxury Cruise Liner Being Built By M e y e r W e r ft page: 30
- Bird-Johnson Acquires Columbian Bronze Stainless Steel Propeller Patterns page: 33
- Kiene Diesel Accessories Offers Free Literature On Products page: 33
- Rados International Finalizes Design Converting Seiner Into Oceanographic Research Vessel page: 34
- New Brochure From Hitco Outlines Asbestos-Free Insulation Textiles page: 34
- New Powerful Icebreaker Under Construction At Gotaverken Arendal page: 37
- Textron Marine Collaborates With Swedish Company To Build High-Speed Passenger Ferries page: 37
- Circle Seal Offers New Safety Relief Valve For Pressures To 200 PSI page: 38
- Matatec Appoints Marindustry North American Representative For China State Shipbuilding page: 42
- U.S. N a v y Frigate I n g r a h am Launched By Todd Pacific Shipyards page: 43
- MarineSafety Conducts Trident Team Training For USN With Simulators page: 43
- MHI To Construct Biggest Cruise Ship Ever Built In Japan page: 43
- N e w Fuel-Saving, Cost-Cutting C o m p u t e r i z e d System For W o r k b o a ts O f f e r e d By A d v a n c e d Control Systems page: 43
- W a r t s i l a V a s a 4 6 M a i n Engines To Power UBC's N e w R O / R O Vessel Building At HHI In Korea page: 44
- Munson M a n u f a c t u r i n g Delivers V o l v o - P o w e r e d Pilot Boat page: 44