Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6
Under Seas Defense '88 (USD), an international exposition and conference on underwater warfare technology, will be held in the Holiday Inn at Embarcadero, San Diego, Calif., from October 3-6.
Under Seas Defense '88 is the second annual exposition and conference in this series. It will feature exhibits and technical presentations on various aspects of submarine, antisubmarine, mine and mine countermeasures warfare technology.
Last year, at USD '87, also held in San Diego, more than 1,500 people registered and attended. Participation is expected from the U.S., as well as North American Treaty Organization (NATO) and Westernaligned nations.
The keynote speaker for the technical conference on Tuesday, October 4, will be Capt. Roger M. Venables of the Royal Navy. He will speak on the importance of allied cooperation in meeting the antisubmarine warfare challenge. This chiefly involves 650 operational Soviet submarines that are constantly improving in noise reduction techniques and with greater weapons load and launch capabilities. Captain Venables will also be the featured banquet speaker the evening of October 5 at the Admiral Kidd Club, Naval Training Station, San Diego.
At present, Captain Venables is Captain (S/M), First Submarine Squadron at HMS Dolphin, Gosport, U.K. His command includes 10 submarines and the Royal Navy Submarine School, which also accommodates the famous "Perisher Course" for future submarine commanding officers.
For further information on USD '88, contact: USD '88, P.O. Box 368, Spring Valley, Calif. 92077; telephone: (619) 465-2262; telex: 530111 WE INC UD, ELN 62772181.
Other stories from August 1988 issue
- SPD Technologies Awarded Canadian Navy Contract page: 5
- NATIONAL WATERWAYS CONFERENCE TO HOLD 1988 ANNUAL MEETING IN NASHVILLE page: 6
- Barge Line Cuts Costs A n d Improves O p e r a t i n g Efficiency By Using Vessel M a n a g e m e n t System page: 9
- Gulf C r a f t Delivers 150-Passenger Party Fishing Boat page: 9
- M e y e r W e r f t S h i p y a r d Delivers Luxury Liner C r o w n Odyssey For Royal Cruise Line page: 12
- MXD 400 Range Of Oils Discussed In Free Color Brochure From Castrol page: 13
- Peterson Builders Launches Their Fourth M C M For U.S. N a vy page: 14
- Deutz M W M Offers Diesel Engines For Propulsion, Power G e n e r a t i on A b o a r d N a v a l Vessels page: 15
- A REPORT O N EUROPEAN SHIPBUILDING page: 16
- Indal Technologies Wins $10-Million Patrol Frigate Contract page: 18
- Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6 page: 19
- Level Switches For Use In 55-Gallon Drums Available In 3 Versions From GEMS page: 19
- Wallenius Transferring Large Car Carrier To U.S. Flag page: 20
- Trinity Marine Group To Build 110-Foot Harbor Tug For Chevron page: 21
- OUTSTANDING SHALLOW-DRAFT PASSENGER VESSELS page: 22
- E.N. Bisso And Son Add Powerful Tug To Fleet page: 27
- Stauff Introduces New Full-Port High-Pressure Ball Valve page: 27
- N e w p o r t N e w s A w a r d ed Contracts Totaling $ 3 . 7 Billion To Construct T w o Carriers page: 28
- Patti S h i p y a r d Delivers 1 , 2 0 0 - P a s s e n g e r Riverboat To Robert's River Rides page: 28
- Ulstein Converts Containership To Fish Factory T r a w l er For U.S. Owner page: 29
- M A N B & W Diesel To Power Chandris Luxury Cruise Liner Being Built By M e y e r W e r ft page: 30
- Bird-Johnson Acquires Columbian Bronze Stainless Steel Propeller Patterns page: 33
- Kiene Diesel Accessories Offers Free Literature On Products page: 33
- Rados International Finalizes Design Converting Seiner Into Oceanographic Research Vessel page: 34
- New Brochure From Hitco Outlines Asbestos-Free Insulation Textiles page: 34
- New Powerful Icebreaker Under Construction At Gotaverken Arendal page: 37
- Textron Marine Collaborates With Swedish Company To Build High-Speed Passenger Ferries page: 37
- Circle Seal Offers New Safety Relief Valve For Pressures To 200 PSI page: 38
- Matatec Appoints Marindustry North American Representative For China State Shipbuilding page: 42
- U.S. N a v y Frigate I n g r a h am Launched By Todd Pacific Shipyards page: 43
- MarineSafety Conducts Trident Team Training For USN With Simulators page: 43
- MHI To Construct Biggest Cruise Ship Ever Built In Japan page: 43
- N e w Fuel-Saving, Cost-Cutting C o m p u t e r i z e d System For W o r k b o a ts O f f e r e d By A d v a n c e d Control Systems page: 43
- W a r t s i l a V a s a 4 6 M a i n Engines To Power UBC's N e w R O / R O Vessel Building At HHI In Korea page: 44
- Munson M a n u f a c t u r i n g Delivers V o l v o - P o w e r e d Pilot Boat page: 44