Ulstein Converts Containership To Fish Factory T r a w l er For U.S. Owner
Ulstein Hatloe A/S, Ulsteinvik, Norway, has delivered one of the world's largest surimi factory trawlers to her U.S. owners, after undergoing an extensive conversion at the yard.
The 341-foot 5-inch Northern Eagle was delivered to her New Yorkbased owners Northern Eagle Partners Ltd. earlier this year after she was converted from a containership to a surimi factory trawler. The Northern Eagle, which is being used off the coast of Alaska to fish for pollack to produce into surimi, a versatile fish paste, has a molded breadth of 52 feet, design draft of 20 feet and speed of 14 knots. She is powered by two Bergen Diesel engines rated at 2,425 kw at 680 rpm each. She is fitted with a bevy of Ulstein equipment, including: a controllable- pitch propeller, Ulstein/ Lohman reduction gear, propeller nozzle, high-lift flap rudder and an 800-hp bowthruster.
Electrical power is supplied by Caterpillar equipment, with two Caterpillar generator engines rated at 640 kw at 1,800 rpm each and two Caterpillar SR 4 generators rated at 750 kw at 1,800 rpm each. Emergency power is provided by a Caterpillar 330 4T generator set with a Caterpillar SR 4 generator rated at 125 kva at 1,800 rpm.
The Northern Eagle features a full suite of sophisticated electronic communications and navigation equipment. Some of her navigation equipment includes one Furuno FR- 1662-S navigation radar, two Furuno FCR-1411/6 color radars, two Furuno color plotters, and three Furuno C LC 90 Lorans. She is equipped with a JRC JUE-45A satcom, two Skanti SSB radiotelephones, three Standard VHFs, one Cobra SSB CB radio, a Furuno FD-525 VHF/ADF and a Furuno FD-181 IMO Standard MF/HF ADF.
The factory trawler is fitted with state-of-the-art fishing and production equipment. Her cargo hold capacity is approximately 2,300 m3.
Since the processing of surimi requires large amounts of freshwater, and the Northern Eagle can produce as much as 400 tons per day.
She normally has a crew of 60-70, but has accommodations for as many as 88.
Her conversion was designed by Guido Perla & Associates of Seattle, Wash.
For free literature detailing the shipbuilding and converting services of Ulstein Hatloe, Circle 29 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 1988 issue
- SPD Technologies Awarded Canadian Navy Contract page: 5
- NATIONAL WATERWAYS CONFERENCE TO HOLD 1988 ANNUAL MEETING IN NASHVILLE page: 6
- Barge Line Cuts Costs A n d Improves O p e r a t i n g Efficiency By Using Vessel M a n a g e m e n t System page: 9
- Gulf C r a f t Delivers 150-Passenger Party Fishing Boat page: 9
- M e y e r W e r f t S h i p y a r d Delivers Luxury Liner C r o w n Odyssey For Royal Cruise Line page: 12
- MXD 400 Range Of Oils Discussed In Free Color Brochure From Castrol page: 13
- Peterson Builders Launches Their Fourth M C M For U.S. N a vy page: 14
- Deutz M W M Offers Diesel Engines For Propulsion, Power G e n e r a t i on A b o a r d N a v a l Vessels page: 15
- A REPORT O N EUROPEAN SHIPBUILDING page: 16
- Indal Technologies Wins $10-Million Patrol Frigate Contract page: 18
- Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6 page: 19
- Level Switches For Use In 55-Gallon Drums Available In 3 Versions From GEMS page: 19
- Wallenius Transferring Large Car Carrier To U.S. Flag page: 20
- Trinity Marine Group To Build 110-Foot Harbor Tug For Chevron page: 21
- OUTSTANDING SHALLOW-DRAFT PASSENGER VESSELS page: 22
- E.N. Bisso And Son Add Powerful Tug To Fleet page: 27
- Stauff Introduces New Full-Port High-Pressure Ball Valve page: 27
- N e w p o r t N e w s A w a r d ed Contracts Totaling $ 3 . 7 Billion To Construct T w o Carriers page: 28
- Patti S h i p y a r d Delivers 1 , 2 0 0 - P a s s e n g e r Riverboat To Robert's River Rides page: 28
- Ulstein Converts Containership To Fish Factory T r a w l er For U.S. Owner page: 29
- M A N B & W Diesel To Power Chandris Luxury Cruise Liner Being Built By M e y e r W e r ft page: 30
- Bird-Johnson Acquires Columbian Bronze Stainless Steel Propeller Patterns page: 33
- Kiene Diesel Accessories Offers Free Literature On Products page: 33
- Rados International Finalizes Design Converting Seiner Into Oceanographic Research Vessel page: 34
- New Brochure From Hitco Outlines Asbestos-Free Insulation Textiles page: 34
- New Powerful Icebreaker Under Construction At Gotaverken Arendal page: 37
- Textron Marine Collaborates With Swedish Company To Build High-Speed Passenger Ferries page: 37
- Circle Seal Offers New Safety Relief Valve For Pressures To 200 PSI page: 38
- Matatec Appoints Marindustry North American Representative For China State Shipbuilding page: 42
- U.S. N a v y Frigate I n g r a h am Launched By Todd Pacific Shipyards page: 43
- MarineSafety Conducts Trident Team Training For USN With Simulators page: 43
- MHI To Construct Biggest Cruise Ship Ever Built In Japan page: 43
- N e w Fuel-Saving, Cost-Cutting C o m p u t e r i z e d System For W o r k b o a ts O f f e r e d By A d v a n c e d Control Systems page: 43
- W a r t s i l a V a s a 4 6 M a i n Engines To Power UBC's N e w R O / R O Vessel Building At HHI In Korea page: 44
- Munson M a n u f a c t u r i n g Delivers V o l v o - P o w e r e d Pilot Boat page: 44