Hornblower Dining Yachts Contracts Trinity Marine Group To Build West Coast's Largest Diner Boat
The Trinity Marine Group has been awarded a contract to build a 183-foot diner boat for Hornblower Dining Yachts of California. The new flagship of the Hornblower fleet, largest of its type on the West Coast, will operate out of the Los Angeles Harbor beginning in the spring of 1989.
While new in every aspect, the California Hornblower will have a nostalgic "look," as she is patterned after turn-of-the-century steampowered vessels. The new vessel will feature three air-conditioned decks, each with a dual service mahogany bar. The top deck, called the Captain's Lounge, will be tailored for business meetings of up to 250 people.
Amenities will include an elegant foyer on the main deck, large panoramic windows, brass, teak, and mahogany appointments, hardwood dance floors, and plush carpeting.
The boat will be available for private group charters and individually ticketed cruises open to the public.
The California Hornblower will be 183 feet 3 inches in length, with a 40.5-foot beam (molded), and 11- foot molded depth with an approximate 7-foot draft.
She will be powered by two Cummins KT19M marine engines with a continuous rating of 510 bhp each at 2,100 rpm. They will drive through Twin Disc MG-518 reverse/reduction gears with a ratio of 4.06:1.
The California Hornblower will be built under U.S. Coast Guard subchapter "T" rules and regulations and will meet American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) standards.
The California Hornblower is now under construction at Trinity's Moss Point Marine, Inc., in Escatawpa, Miss.
John Dane III, president of the Trinity Marine Group, said the selection of Moss Point Marine to build the California Hornblower reflects the Group's experience in building a wide range of dinner/ cruise and excursion vessels for use on both coasts and on the nation's inland waterways.
The Trinity Marine Group is owned by Trinity Industries, Inc., Dallas, Texas. In addition to Moss Point Marine, Inc., it includes Halter Marine, Inc., with shipyards in Lockport, La., and Moss Point, Miss.; Equitable Shipyards, Inc., with facilities in New Orleans and Madisonville, La.; Gretna Machine and Iron Works, Inc. in Harvey, La.; and Aluminum Boats, Inc. in Crown Point, La.
For more information and free literature on the facilities and capabilities of the Trinity Marine Group, Circle 51 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from January 1989 issue
- Northwest Marine Services Named Distributor Of Hamilton Marine Jets page: 5
- TOURIST SUBMARINES MARK ENTRANCE INTO NEW ERA FOR PASSENGER VESSEL INDUSTRY page: 6
- ZF Offers Wide Range Of Marine Gears For Workboats/High-Speed Craft page: 6
- 500th Voith Water Tractor, First Of New Generation, Now Under Construction* page: 7
- Tax Corrections Act Offers Good News To Domestic Operators page: 8
- Texaco Marine Services Names Gaffney President, Chief Operating Officer page: 9
- Supply Vessel Overhauled By Homeport Marine page: 9
- CRUISE SHIPPING 89 page: 10
- A.G.M.A. Elects Haley To Serve Three-Year Term On Board Of Directors page: 11
- 1989 NAPVO ANNUAL CONVENTION page: 12
- NAPVO Appoints Lauridsen Technical Consultant page: 12
- Atlantic Marine To Build Caterpillar-Powered Longliner Processor page: 13
- Wartsila-Turku Delivers Barge Carrier To USSR page: 13
- A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PASSENGER VESSEL OWNERS page: 14
- Hornblower Dining Yachts Contracts Trinity Marine Group To Build West Coast's Largest Diner Boat page: 14
- Seaward Offers 105-Page Technical Manual On Marine Fendering Systems page: 14
- POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT GROWTH FORESEEN IN EXPANDING CRUISE SHIPPING INDUSTRY page: 15
- OUTSTANDING PASSENGER VESSELS OF 1988 page: 16
- New Rope Specification Sheet Available From American Manufacturing page: 27
- Alfa-Laval's Nirex Distiller And New Ice Marine Are Ideally Suited For Trawlers & Variety Of Small Vessels page: 28
- 315-Passenger Boat Delivered By Leevac page: 29
- Aeroquip Offers New Cargo Control Products Bulletin page: 29
- MagneTek Consolidates M i l i t a r y Business Efforts page: 32
- Letter Of Intent Signed By SPD To Acquire Dyncorp Unit page: 32
- First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards page: 33
- Crowley Maritime Names Sean G. Burke President, Atlantic Division page: 34
- E.H. Wachs Introduces N e w Model HPS-15 Hydrostatic Power Supply page: 35
- Wartsila Launches Baltic Cruise Ferry For V i k i n g Line page: 35
- Schichau Seebeckwerft Delivers Gas Carrier page: 36
- 1989 SNAME Meeting To Feature Diversified Technical Papers— Small Craft To Icebreakers, CAD/CAM To Instrumentation page: 38
- Trinity Marine Group Awarded $5-Million Contract To Build Two Washington State Ferries page: 38
- Sophisticated Cableship Launched At Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard page: 41
- Sohio Oil, Subsidiary Of BP America, Makes West Coast Acquisitions page: 41
- Service Marine—A Full Service Yard For The Passenger Vessel Market page: 42
- Comsat To Provide Low-Cost Standard-C Messaging Service page: 42
- Fjellstrand Delivers High-Speed Catamarans 'Sea Cat' And 'Jetcat' page: 43
- Innovative Propulsion System From Krupp MaK Offers Smooth, Economic Service For Passenger Ships page: 44
- TFC Corporation Offers Full Line Of Trash Compactors To Meet New Annex V/MARPOL Rules page: 44
- Pictou Industries Completes Third Enlargement Of Crandall R a i l w a y Drydock page: 46
- Jamesbury Offers N e w Compact Corrosion-Resistant Actuators page: 50
- Krupp Atlas Elektronik Introduces Atlas 8630 VTC Radar Designed For Vessel Traffic Control Applications page: 53
- Understanding Marine Rope Specifications Increases Safety And Cordage Life page: 53
- Schottel Pump-Jets Allow Passenger Boat To Operate Even In Shallow Water page: 54
- Hopeman Brothers Named U.S. Representative For IMAC page: 55
- Universal Tankships Installs NTC Ship Manager Software System page: 55
- A N e w Source For CP Propeller And Control System Service page: 58
- Inspection Service Founded To Meet N e w Offshore Platform Inspection Requirements page: 58
- Quality Shipbuilders Changes Name And Revamps Structure; Jack Edwards Named President page: 58
- Morrison-Knudsen Appointed EMD Distributor In 17-State Area And All Of Caribbean page: 58
- SWDiesel-Powered 'Arctic Storm' Is Largest U.S. Factory Trawler page: 59
- Marinette Marine Completes Yard Patrol Boat Contract page: 59