Letter Of Intent Signed By SPD To Acquire Dyncorp Unit
SPD Technologies has announced the signing of a letter of intent for the acquisition of the ship repair division of Pac Ord, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Dyncorp.
In announcing the move, SPD president George M. Gordon said the addition of Pac Ord's five service and repair facilities will make SPD the leading independent repair specialist of shipboard equipment in the U.S.
Pac Ord, which has facilities in Seattle, Wash., San Diego, Calif., Portland, Ore., Jacksonville, Fla., and Norfolk, Va., has about 200 employees and annual sales of approximately $12 million.
The unit provides repair and overhaul services for shipboard communications systems, weapons systems, air traffic control systems, sonar, radar and antenna systems, electronic warfare hardware and electrical equipment.
With the acquisition, SPD would be able to provide on-site repair and overhaul facilities at all primary U.S. Navy homeports.
The Pac Ord transaction would mark SPD's second major acquisition since becoming an independent operating company as a result of a management buyout from Gould Inc. in 1987.
The transaction is expected to be consumated shortly, according to Mr. Gordon.
SPD Technologies is an international leader in the design, development and manufacture of advanced electronically controlled electrical protection equipment for military applications and other harsh operating environments. The company has service, repair and overhaul facilities across the U.S. and serves military markets throughout the world.
For free literature detailing the services of SPD, Circle 82 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from January 1989 issue
- Northwest Marine Services Named Distributor Of Hamilton Marine Jets page: 5
- TOURIST SUBMARINES MARK ENTRANCE INTO NEW ERA FOR PASSENGER VESSEL INDUSTRY page: 6
- ZF Offers Wide Range Of Marine Gears For Workboats/High-Speed Craft page: 6
- 500th Voith Water Tractor, First Of New Generation, Now Under Construction* page: 7
- Tax Corrections Act Offers Good News To Domestic Operators page: 8
- Texaco Marine Services Names Gaffney President, Chief Operating Officer page: 9
- Supply Vessel Overhauled By Homeport Marine page: 9
- CRUISE SHIPPING 89 page: 10
- A.G.M.A. Elects Haley To Serve Three-Year Term On Board Of Directors page: 11
- 1989 NAPVO ANNUAL CONVENTION page: 12
- NAPVO Appoints Lauridsen Technical Consultant page: 12
- Atlantic Marine To Build Caterpillar-Powered Longliner Processor page: 13
- Wartsila-Turku Delivers Barge Carrier To USSR page: 13
- A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PASSENGER VESSEL OWNERS page: 14
- Hornblower Dining Yachts Contracts Trinity Marine Group To Build West Coast's Largest Diner Boat page: 14
- Seaward Offers 105-Page Technical Manual On Marine Fendering Systems page: 14
- POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT GROWTH FORESEEN IN EXPANDING CRUISE SHIPPING INDUSTRY page: 15
- OUTSTANDING PASSENGER VESSELS OF 1988 page: 16
- New Rope Specification Sheet Available From American Manufacturing page: 27
- Alfa-Laval's Nirex Distiller And New Ice Marine Are Ideally Suited For Trawlers & Variety Of Small Vessels page: 28
- 315-Passenger Boat Delivered By Leevac page: 29
- Aeroquip Offers New Cargo Control Products Bulletin page: 29
- MagneTek Consolidates M i l i t a r y Business Efforts page: 32
- Letter Of Intent Signed By SPD To Acquire Dyncorp Unit page: 32
- First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards page: 33
- Crowley Maritime Names Sean G. Burke President, Atlantic Division page: 34
- E.H. Wachs Introduces N e w Model HPS-15 Hydrostatic Power Supply page: 35
- Wartsila Launches Baltic Cruise Ferry For V i k i n g Line page: 35
- Schichau Seebeckwerft Delivers Gas Carrier page: 36
- 1989 SNAME Meeting To Feature Diversified Technical Papers— Small Craft To Icebreakers, CAD/CAM To Instrumentation page: 38
- Trinity Marine Group Awarded $5-Million Contract To Build Two Washington State Ferries page: 38
- Sophisticated Cableship Launched At Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard page: 41
- Sohio Oil, Subsidiary Of BP America, Makes West Coast Acquisitions page: 41
- Service Marine—A Full Service Yard For The Passenger Vessel Market page: 42
- Comsat To Provide Low-Cost Standard-C Messaging Service page: 42
- Fjellstrand Delivers High-Speed Catamarans 'Sea Cat' And 'Jetcat' page: 43
- Innovative Propulsion System From Krupp MaK Offers Smooth, Economic Service For Passenger Ships page: 44
- TFC Corporation Offers Full Line Of Trash Compactors To Meet New Annex V/MARPOL Rules page: 44
- Pictou Industries Completes Third Enlargement Of Crandall R a i l w a y Drydock page: 46
- Jamesbury Offers N e w Compact Corrosion-Resistant Actuators page: 50
- Krupp Atlas Elektronik Introduces Atlas 8630 VTC Radar Designed For Vessel Traffic Control Applications page: 53
- Understanding Marine Rope Specifications Increases Safety And Cordage Life page: 53
- Schottel Pump-Jets Allow Passenger Boat To Operate Even In Shallow Water page: 54
- Hopeman Brothers Named U.S. Representative For IMAC page: 55
- Universal Tankships Installs NTC Ship Manager Software System page: 55
- A N e w Source For CP Propeller And Control System Service page: 58
- Inspection Service Founded To Meet N e w Offshore Platform Inspection Requirements page: 58
- Quality Shipbuilders Changes Name And Revamps Structure; Jack Edwards Named President page: 58
- Morrison-Knudsen Appointed EMD Distributor In 17-State Area And All Of Caribbean page: 58
- SWDiesel-Powered 'Arctic Storm' Is Largest U.S. Factory Trawler page: 59
- Marinette Marine Completes Yard Patrol Boat Contract page: 59