SWDiesel-Powered 'Arctic Storm' Is Largest U.S. Factory Trawler
The Arctic Storm, originally a U.S. Navy tanker built in 1943 in Tacoma, Wash., has been converted into what is now the largest U.S. factory trawler.
The 5,000-gross-ton vessel, 328 feet long with a 48-foot beam, was converted by Wright-Schuchart Harbor Company of Seattle in combination with a Korean shipyard which built the entire stern section with machinery plant.
The vessel relies on SWDiesel for its power generation from propulsion to electricity and hydraulics. Propulsion machinery consists of a turbocharged, intercooled 16 SW 280, 750 rpm, 6,100-hp diesel engine which drives a single, free-rotating CP propeller in a Kort nozzle and the main shaft generator. The auxiliary plant consists of a six-cylinder SW 280 diesel engine, while the standby generator is powered by SWDiesel's six-cylinder FHD 240 engine.
The 13.7-foot propeller is powered through an Ulstein 2400 AGSC 35/85 vertical gear with hydraulic clutch. A PTO on the Ulstein gear drives a Reliance SDG-8 5004.4 shaft generator of 1,800 kw at 1,800 rpm.
SWDiesel supplied the complete engine modules including duplex oil filters and Alfa-Laval purifier system for the lube oil system of the main engine as well as the complete monitoring system with replaceable monitor modules.
The Arctic Storm, with its crew of 80-85, is now fishing in Alaska's Bering Sea, where it catches pollock and processes it into surimi. The trawl winches and net reels are powered by a low-pressure hydraulic system of Hydraulik Brattvaag. The trawler can handle up to 300 tons of pollock per day, processing it into 60 tons of surimi with fish meal as a by-product.
Both the fish meal plant and the water desalination system, capable of distilling 350 tons of water in 24 hours, were provided by Atlas Danmark.
Det norske Veritas supervised the reconstruction of the stern trawler.
For further information and free literature on engines from SWDiesel, Circle 45 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from January 1989 issue
- Northwest Marine Services Named Distributor Of Hamilton Marine Jets page: 5
- TOURIST SUBMARINES MARK ENTRANCE INTO NEW ERA FOR PASSENGER VESSEL INDUSTRY page: 6
- ZF Offers Wide Range Of Marine Gears For Workboats/High-Speed Craft page: 6
- 500th Voith Water Tractor, First Of New Generation, Now Under Construction* page: 7
- Tax Corrections Act Offers Good News To Domestic Operators page: 8
- Texaco Marine Services Names Gaffney President, Chief Operating Officer page: 9
- Supply Vessel Overhauled By Homeport Marine page: 9
- CRUISE SHIPPING 89 page: 10
- A.G.M.A. Elects Haley To Serve Three-Year Term On Board Of Directors page: 11
- 1989 NAPVO ANNUAL CONVENTION page: 12
- NAPVO Appoints Lauridsen Technical Consultant page: 12
- Atlantic Marine To Build Caterpillar-Powered Longliner Processor page: 13
- Wartsila-Turku Delivers Barge Carrier To USSR page: 13
- A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PASSENGER VESSEL OWNERS page: 14
- Hornblower Dining Yachts Contracts Trinity Marine Group To Build West Coast's Largest Diner Boat page: 14
- Seaward Offers 105-Page Technical Manual On Marine Fendering Systems page: 14
- POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT GROWTH FORESEEN IN EXPANDING CRUISE SHIPPING INDUSTRY page: 15
- OUTSTANDING PASSENGER VESSELS OF 1988 page: 16
- New Rope Specification Sheet Available From American Manufacturing page: 27
- Alfa-Laval's Nirex Distiller And New Ice Marine Are Ideally Suited For Trawlers & Variety Of Small Vessels page: 28
- 315-Passenger Boat Delivered By Leevac page: 29
- Aeroquip Offers New Cargo Control Products Bulletin page: 29
- MagneTek Consolidates M i l i t a r y Business Efforts page: 32
- Letter Of Intent Signed By SPD To Acquire Dyncorp Unit page: 32
- First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards page: 33
- Crowley Maritime Names Sean G. Burke President, Atlantic Division page: 34
- E.H. Wachs Introduces N e w Model HPS-15 Hydrostatic Power Supply page: 35
- Wartsila Launches Baltic Cruise Ferry For V i k i n g Line page: 35
- Schichau Seebeckwerft Delivers Gas Carrier page: 36
- 1989 SNAME Meeting To Feature Diversified Technical Papers— Small Craft To Icebreakers, CAD/CAM To Instrumentation page: 38
- Trinity Marine Group Awarded $5-Million Contract To Build Two Washington State Ferries page: 38
- Sophisticated Cableship Launched At Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard page: 41
- Sohio Oil, Subsidiary Of BP America, Makes West Coast Acquisitions page: 41
- Service Marine—A Full Service Yard For The Passenger Vessel Market page: 42
- Comsat To Provide Low-Cost Standard-C Messaging Service page: 42
- Fjellstrand Delivers High-Speed Catamarans 'Sea Cat' And 'Jetcat' page: 43
- Innovative Propulsion System From Krupp MaK Offers Smooth, Economic Service For Passenger Ships page: 44
- TFC Corporation Offers Full Line Of Trash Compactors To Meet New Annex V/MARPOL Rules page: 44
- Pictou Industries Completes Third Enlargement Of Crandall R a i l w a y Drydock page: 46
- Jamesbury Offers N e w Compact Corrosion-Resistant Actuators page: 50
- Krupp Atlas Elektronik Introduces Atlas 8630 VTC Radar Designed For Vessel Traffic Control Applications page: 53
- Understanding Marine Rope Specifications Increases Safety And Cordage Life page: 53
- Schottel Pump-Jets Allow Passenger Boat To Operate Even In Shallow Water page: 54
- Hopeman Brothers Named U.S. Representative For IMAC page: 55
- Universal Tankships Installs NTC Ship Manager Software System page: 55
- A N e w Source For CP Propeller And Control System Service page: 58
- Inspection Service Founded To Meet N e w Offshore Platform Inspection Requirements page: 58
- Quality Shipbuilders Changes Name And Revamps Structure; Jack Edwards Named President page: 58
- Morrison-Knudsen Appointed EMD Distributor In 17-State Area And All Of Caribbean page: 58
- SWDiesel-Powered 'Arctic Storm' Is Largest U.S. Factory Trawler page: 59
- Marinette Marine Completes Yard Patrol Boat Contract page: 59