First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards
Equitable Shipyards, Inc. has launched the first of 39 coal-carrying hopper barges for the Indiana Michigan Power Company, Ft.
Wayne, Inc., signifying the rebirth of the shipyard which had closed since 1985. The 195-foot by 35-foot by 12-foot barge is the first of 15 of its size, which will be followed by twenty-four 175-foot by 26-foot by 11-foot barges.
The nearly $8-million contract with the Trinity Marine Group, which includes Equitable, is significant because it reflects increased activity in inland waterways transportation, according to John Dane III, president of the Trinity Marine Group.
The Equitable/Madisonville shipyard (near New Orleans) was opened in the early 1940s. It produced approximately 7,000 barges and boats before its closure with the decline in offshore energy industries and inland waterway transportation.
At its peak, approximately 600 persons were employed at the facility.
Today, 171 people work at the shipyard.
Edward L. Shearer, president of Shearer and Assoc., the New Orleans naval architecture firm which designed the barges, said, "You are going to see more and more orders (for new barge construction) because the current fleet is eight to 10 years old and not economically useful due to repair and maintenance expense." Mr. Dane said the Madisonville shipyard was reactivated because it was designed to produce barges efficiently and has the ideal equipment for barge construction, including special jigs; a 1,500-ton press; access to plasma arc metal cutting; panel line fabrication; and a hydraulically operated tipping launch system. At its peak, the facility can produce two hopper barges per day.
The Trinity Marine Group is owned by Trinity Industries, Inc., Dallas, Texas. It includes the Equitable Shipyards Inc. facilities at Madisonville and New Orleans, La., Halter Marine Inc., Moss Point, Miss., and Lockport, La., Moss Point Marine Inc. in Escatawpa, Miss., Aluminum Boats, Crown Point, La., and Gretna Machine and Iron Works Inc., Harvey, La.
For more information and free literature on the facilities and capabilities of Equitable Shipyards, Circle 59 on Reader Service Card
Read First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of January 1989 Maritime Reporter
Other stories from January 1989 issue
- Northwest Marine Services Named Distributor Of Hamilton Marine Jets page: 5
- TOURIST SUBMARINES MARK ENTRANCE INTO NEW ERA FOR PASSENGER VESSEL INDUSTRY page: 6
- ZF Offers Wide Range Of Marine Gears For Workboats/High-Speed Craft page: 6
- 500th Voith Water Tractor, First Of New Generation, Now Under Construction* page: 7
- Tax Corrections Act Offers Good News To Domestic Operators page: 8
- Texaco Marine Services Names Gaffney President, Chief Operating Officer page: 9
- Supply Vessel Overhauled By Homeport Marine page: 9
- CRUISE SHIPPING 89 page: 10
- A.G.M.A. Elects Haley To Serve Three-Year Term On Board Of Directors page: 11
- 1989 NAPVO ANNUAL CONVENTION page: 12
- NAPVO Appoints Lauridsen Technical Consultant page: 12
- Atlantic Marine To Build Caterpillar-Powered Longliner Processor page: 13
- Wartsila-Turku Delivers Barge Carrier To USSR page: 13
- A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PASSENGER VESSEL OWNERS page: 14
- Hornblower Dining Yachts Contracts Trinity Marine Group To Build West Coast's Largest Diner Boat page: 14
- Seaward Offers 105-Page Technical Manual On Marine Fendering Systems page: 14
- POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT GROWTH FORESEEN IN EXPANDING CRUISE SHIPPING INDUSTRY page: 15
- OUTSTANDING PASSENGER VESSELS OF 1988 page: 16
- New Rope Specification Sheet Available From American Manufacturing page: 27
- Alfa-Laval's Nirex Distiller And New Ice Marine Are Ideally Suited For Trawlers & Variety Of Small Vessels page: 28
- 315-Passenger Boat Delivered By Leevac page: 29
- Aeroquip Offers New Cargo Control Products Bulletin page: 29
- MagneTek Consolidates M i l i t a r y Business Efforts page: 32
- Letter Of Intent Signed By SPD To Acquire Dyncorp Unit page: 32
- First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards page: 33
- Crowley Maritime Names Sean G. Burke President, Atlantic Division page: 34
- E.H. Wachs Introduces N e w Model HPS-15 Hydrostatic Power Supply page: 35
- Wartsila Launches Baltic Cruise Ferry For V i k i n g Line page: 35
- Schichau Seebeckwerft Delivers Gas Carrier page: 36
- 1989 SNAME Meeting To Feature Diversified Technical Papers— Small Craft To Icebreakers, CAD/CAM To Instrumentation page: 38
- Trinity Marine Group Awarded $5-Million Contract To Build Two Washington State Ferries page: 38
- Sophisticated Cableship Launched At Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard page: 41
- Sohio Oil, Subsidiary Of BP America, Makes West Coast Acquisitions page: 41
- Service Marine—A Full Service Yard For The Passenger Vessel Market page: 42
- Comsat To Provide Low-Cost Standard-C Messaging Service page: 42
- Fjellstrand Delivers High-Speed Catamarans 'Sea Cat' And 'Jetcat' page: 43
- Innovative Propulsion System From Krupp MaK Offers Smooth, Economic Service For Passenger Ships page: 44
- TFC Corporation Offers Full Line Of Trash Compactors To Meet New Annex V/MARPOL Rules page: 44
- Pictou Industries Completes Third Enlargement Of Crandall R a i l w a y Drydock page: 46
- Jamesbury Offers N e w Compact Corrosion-Resistant Actuators page: 50
- Krupp Atlas Elektronik Introduces Atlas 8630 VTC Radar Designed For Vessel Traffic Control Applications page: 53
- Understanding Marine Rope Specifications Increases Safety And Cordage Life page: 53
- Schottel Pump-Jets Allow Passenger Boat To Operate Even In Shallow Water page: 54
- Hopeman Brothers Named U.S. Representative For IMAC page: 55
- Universal Tankships Installs NTC Ship Manager Software System page: 55
- A N e w Source For CP Propeller And Control System Service page: 58
- Inspection Service Founded To Meet N e w Offshore Platform Inspection Requirements page: 58
- Quality Shipbuilders Changes Name And Revamps Structure; Jack Edwards Named President page: 58
- Morrison-Knudsen Appointed EMD Distributor In 17-State Area And All Of Caribbean page: 58
- SWDiesel-Powered 'Arctic Storm' Is Largest U.S. Factory Trawler page: 59
- Marinette Marine Completes Yard Patrol Boat Contract page: 59