Wichmann Diesel Buys Kenner, Louisiana Site As Base Of Operations
Wichmann Diesel, Inc. has announced the opening of offices at 2701 Delaware Avenue, Kenner, La. 70062, which serves as base for operations in the U.S., Canada and South America. The parent company, Wichmann Motorfabrikk A/S of Bergen, Norway, was founded in 1903. From a very modest family beginning, the factory has continually expanded and is now among the most modern in Norway.
During the first 30 years, the company produced two-stroke hot-bulb engines, changing over to diesel engines around 1935.
The present range of AX engines are available from 1,200 to 3,000 hp and are delivered for direct connection to the propeller shaft or in a geared version.
Wichmann engines are currently being installed in all manner of vessels, including supply vessels, ferries, fishing vessels and coastwise freighters, with many of them using the c-p propellers and nozzle supplied by Wichmann.
Wichmann Diesel type AX and AXG are single-acting, turbocharged two-stroke engines. The scavenging process is timed by inlet and outlet ports in the cylinder liners which eliminate valves in the cylinder head specified.
Fuel consumption is rated among the lowest in the industry.
The AX engine is designed especially for propulsion duty. Due to the relatively slow speed, 375 rpm, the engine is normally connected directly to the propeller shaft. Hydraulic disconnect clutch and servo mechanism for the controllable-pitch propeller are built-in at the rear of the engine.
The AXG engine has a slightly higher speed, 415 rpm, and is therefore supplied with reduction gear or with reverse/reduction gear for use with a fixed-pitch propeller.
Controllable-pitch propellers are supplied as standard equipment for both AX and AXG engines.
Wichmann Diesel AX and AXG are also suitable for twin engine installations. Full power take-off is available from the forward end of the engine.
Haldor A. Haldorsen, one of the five sons of the originator of the engine, moved from Norway to Louisiana with his family and is president of Wichmann Diesel, Inc. The service manager, Tormod H. Hansen, is also from the factory in Norway, with the balance of personnel recruited locally. These include J.B. Gremillion, vice president, John R.
Jenkins, sales manager, and Edwin A. Schmitz, project manager.
Combined, these men bring with them many years of experience in the marine diesel engine field. Patricia A. Thompson is secretary.
Other stories from March 1977 issue
- Colorful 'Uniflite News' Describes Full Line Of Fiberglass Boats page: 4
- IMODCO In Joint Venture For North Sea Operations page: 4
- Navy Awards 8 FFGs To Todd And Bath To Cost $402.5 Million page: 6
- Pietro Campanella Heads New MacGregor Italia Established In Italy page: 6
- Hitachi Zosen Delivers Versatile Bulk/Oil Carrier To Lib Ore Steamship page: 7
- Market Range Of $10 To $16.4 Billion For Ocean Ships And Subsystems In 1976-1985 page: 7
- Tidewater Christens M / V Reeves Tide— Halter-Built Oil Field Service Vessel page: 7
- Towing Tank Conference Set For August 23-25 page: 7
- Newport News To Build Four More LNG Carriers At Cost Of $800 Million page: 7
- American Ship Receives $20 Million In Contracts For Conversion, Barges page: 8
- De Laval Separator Establishes Marine- Offshore Sales Dept page: 8
- Brown & Root Names Thomas Feehan President page: 9
- Application Approved For Tugs And Barges To Cost $53 Million page: 10
- Ogden Marine Officials Optimistic About Future page: 10
- United Polish Shipyards Executives Visit U.S.A. page: 11
- Avondale Appoints Douglas L. Oehrlein page: 12
- Decca Survey Overseas Expanding Services In Arabian Gulf Area page: 12
- Weeks Stevedoring Increases Fleet Of Barge-Mounted Cranes page: 12
- Lloyd's Register Studies Deep Oil Technology's Tension Leg Platform page: 12
- CAI Introduces Obsolete Proof 24-Channel SSB page: 12
- Jered Gets Contracts Totaling $2 Million For Sewage Handline Systems page: 13
- St. Louis Ship Adds New Line Of FAST Marine Sewage Systems page: 14
- Wichmann Diesel Buys Kenner, Louisiana Site As Base Of Operations page: 14
- Precision's New Brochure Tells How To Cut Costs On Diesel Maintenance page: 14
- Sperry Vickers Names Whited International Planning Manager page: 14
- M.l.T. Schedules Course On Port Development page: 14
- Floyd H. Blaske page: 14
- London-To-Belgium Jetfoil Service Set page: 14
- Oil Mop Elects Smith Vice President page: 16
- New Sandblasting System Provides Recycling Of Blasting Abrasive page: 16
- South Africa Awards Order Of Good Hope To Svend Hansen Sr page: 16
- Newpark Resources Buys Half Interest In Bulkfleet Marine page: 17
- Irish Firm Orders Two Supply Vessels From Quality Equipment page: 17
- Abex-Denison Div. Appoints Feierabend VP-Manufacturing page: 18
- SNAME Northern California Section Told How To Evaluate Hull Forms j page: 18
- Mitsubishi Delivers World's First Internally Insulated LPG Carrier page: 20
- International Paint Names Cole And Bluffin page: 20
- GEC Buys ALCO Engines —ALCO Power Is New Name page: 21
- MTS President Lauds Saudi Arabian Ports page: 22
- GE Gas-Turbine Powered Ro/Ro Vessel Iron Monarch Establishes Endurance Record page: 22
- Ameron Div. Announces Nationwide Appointments page: 22
- Atco Marine Producing Magnetic Pilot Hoists page: 23
- Savannah Machine And Shipyard Names Carlon page: 23
- SNAME President Names Committee Chairmen page: 23
- Bath Iron Names Three Vice Presidents page: 24
- Chesapeake Section Of SNAME Hears Paper On Dynamic Analysis Of COGAS Propulsion Plant page: 24
- Cryogenic Structures Receives Contract For LNG Insulation page: 24
- Jones, Bardelmeier Open Singapore Office page: 24
- Mott Groom To Head Gulf Oil Trading GmbH page: 25
- Bellinger Delivers Ro/Ro Landing Vessel To West India Shipping page: 25
- French Naval Ship Installs AIRFILCO Inert Gas Blanketing System page: 25
- Crude Oil Washing Of Cargo Tanks page: 28
- Halter Marine Delivers First Of Four Supply Boats To Arthur Levy page: 30
- The Cordage Group Appoints Hankins And Richardson page: 30
- Third Chesapeake Sailing Yacht Symposium Attracts Over 500 Engineers And Enthusiasts page: 30
- MOAC Forms Marine Pool With Irish And French page: 32
- Konel Corp. Brochure Describes New Solid-State Sideband page: 32
- Armco Literature Shows How To Use And Inspect Wire Rope Slings page: 32
- MacGregor To Build Stern Slewing Ramps For 'Multiflex' Ships page: 33
- Glacier Metal Details Line Of Ship Bearings page: 33
- SNAME Pacific Northwest Section Reviews Design And Use Of Floating Breakwaters page: 34
- O.E. Powers Named Chief Executive Of Turbodyne And Worthington Compressors page: 34
- Northville To Engineer Pacific Deepwater Port For Panama Government page: 34
- ASNE Delaware Valley Section Given Report On Innovative Integrated Logistics Support page: 35
- Argo Marine Introduces Pollution Control Div page: 35
- Gotaas-Larsen Names Proes Senior VP-LNG page: 35
- U.S. Firms Share In New U.K. Licenses For Offshore Oil page: 36
- Moore-McCormack Promotes R.H. Jackson And A.K. Forester page: 36
- Midland Enterprises Inc. Elects Three Financial Corporate Officers page: 36
- Det Norske Veritas Forms Maritime Advisory Services Department page: 36
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Discusses Torsional Vibrations In Diesel-Driven Equipment page: 37
- Anders Williams Names Johnson And Glass page: 37
- Propulsion Systems Appoints Eagle Marine Sales Representative page: 37
- San Francisco Group Honors Barney Evans As 'Man-Of-The-Year' page: 38
- CAI Loran A Receiver Is 'Instant Positioner' With Advanced Features page: 38
- ASNE San Diego Section Shown Naval Undersea Center's Operations page: 38
- Smatco Holds Seminars For Winch Operators page: 39
- McGrath Appoints McGoldrick Chairman And Field President page: 39
- Sier-Bath Booklet Describes Barge Pump page: 39
- B. Orsi Joins PFEL In Top Management Spot page: 40
- Waukesha Engine Names Lee Acting President page: 40
- Matson Agencies Name M.L. Shafer Senior VP page: 41
- Great Lakes & European Names Merz Manager European Operations page: 41
- NASSCO Announces Three Promotions In Repair Department page: 42
- State Boat Elects D.S. Miller President page: 42
- Lykes To Use Barges From French Port For New Service To Arabia page: 42
- National Cargo Bureau Names Guam Surveyor page: 42
- Strachan Announces Four Key Promotions page: 43
- Uniflite Inc. Names Hill Vice President page: 43
- Northeast Marine Elects F.X. McQuade President page: 43
- Hayward Introduces New Line Of Large Polypropylene Ball Valves page: 44