Port Weller Dry Docks Awarded Contract To Build Self-Unloader For Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd.
An order for a maximum Seaway-size selfunloading bulk carrier has been awarded to Port Weller Dry Docks by Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. of Toronto, Canada. This is the second order for almost identical vessels placed with Port Weller by Upper Lakes Shipping last year.
The two ships, designated as Hulls 64 and 65, are similar to Canadian Olympic delivered to Upper Lakes in October 1976.
Like Canadian Olympic, they will be equipped with patented cargo reclaimers developed by Port Weller and Stephens- Adamson of Belleville. Both will also have unloading and reballasting consoles built by Port Weller's subsidiary, Canal Electric Ltd.
From the console, the unloading operation is performed by one man at a rate of 6,000 tons per hour.
Both ships will be built to an overall length of 730 feet (222.5 m). However, their breadth of 75.83 feet (23.12 m) will slightly exceed that of previous ships due to new width regulations now authorized by the St.
Lawrence Seaway Authority.
Hulls 64 and 65 will be powered by twin diesel engines generating 10,000 metric bhp.
Speed will be 13 knots (15 mph).
In the interest of energy conservation, Port Weller is exploring methods of propulsion economy for incorporation into Hull 65's design.
Hull 64 is scheduled for delivery in May 1979, and Hull 65 in December 1979.
Other stories from January 1978 issue
- Jover Corporation Named To Represent Velcon Filters Inc. page: 4
- Nilsson To Head Sales Organization For Kockums Shipyard page: 7
- Marathon Launches New Shallow-Draft Cantilevered Drilling Platform page: 7
- Contracts Signed For Cumberland Shipping Ro/Ro Barge Vessel page: 7
- Lockheed In Joint Venture With Rendel, Palmer & Tritton To Seek Ocean Engineering Project page: 8
- Equitable Shipyards Delivers Third Oceangoing Deck Barge For McDonough Marine Service page: 8
- Five Firms Launch Maritime Data System page: 10
- Santa Fe Engineering Names Billy Ennis VP page: 10
- Campbell Industries Names Arthur Yeend page: 12
- Peterson Awarded Contract To Build Fireboat For Detroit page: 12
- Propeller Club Announces Students Essay Contest page: 12
- New Towing Systems Report Now Available To Maritime Industry page: 13
- United States Lines Names James B. Rose Port Manager In Norfolk page: 13
- H.E. Engelbrecht Acquires Lexington Transport Corp. —Opens New Offices page: 13
- Dr. Dean Rains Presents Paper At Pascagoula Section Meeting Of ASNE page: 14
- Lucian Q. Moffitt Opens Seattle Warehouse- Names M & K Sales Co page: 14
- J.W. Huls Joins Inland Oil & Transport page: 14
- Luckenbach And Lavino Named Agents For Cuban Fishing Fleet In U.S.A. page: 15
- HUD Adds Giant Floating Drydock page: 15
- Capt. Francis B. Crocco Honored By Coast Guard page: 16
- MarAd Report Shows Maritime Aids Of Six Major Nations page: 17
- National Supply Company Promotes Virgil Ellis page: 17
- Canadian Shipbuilders Technical Section To Meet In Montreal page: 18
- American Commercial Lines, Inc. Elects Lola Grebe VP page: 19
- Port Of Oakland And Port Of Inchon, Korea Sign Sister Port Pact page: 19
- NASSCO Delivers Third In Series Of Four San Clemente-Class Tankers For OSG Subsidiary page: 20
- Republic Of China Orders Offshore Platforms From National Supply Company page: 20
- Robin Towing To Build Oceangoing Tugs And Aluminum Crewboats page: 22
- Avondale Shipyards Appoint James Temenak page: 22
- National Cargo Bureau Opens Branch Office In Corpus Christi, Texas page: 24
- Swedish Consul General Launches Stal-Laval's Ocean-To-Ocean Service page: 24
- Wheeler Shipbuilding Corporation Reestablished page: 25
- Hubbard And Roberts Named APL Directors page: 25
- Howard F. Casey Named To Post At USMMA page: 32
- Interim USCG Acceptance Of Perko Navigation Lights For Ships Over 20 Meters page: 34
- Gotaas Larsen Names Andersen And Clausen page: 34
- Intermarine Electronics — Regional Dealer Seminar page: 35
- World's Largest Rotary Screw Pump Passes Performance Tests At DeLaval page: 35
- Bay-Houston Expands Harbor Towing Fleet page: 35
- ACT/PACE Opens Office In Toronto page: 36
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers 56-Foot M / V Becky Sue To Taylor Towing For Switching/Mooring Service page: 37
- National Safety Council Presents Top Citation To Bruno J. Augenti page: 37
- The Parcel Tanker Trades page: 38
- ASNE Flagship Section Hears Description Of USCG Oil Pollution Strike Teams page: 41
- Canadian Maritime Section Discusses Paper On Waste Heat Recovery System page: 42
- Metritape, Inc. Offers Metridirectory For Multi-Tank Level Readout page: 42
- Twin City Barge Names W.L. Lusk Vice President page: 43
- SNAME Gulf Section To Hold Winter Meeting February 10 In Houston page: 43
- MarAd Approves Addition Of Second Barge For F&S page: 43
- Oceanographic Deck Machinery Subject Of Paper Presented At Pacific Northwest Section page: 44
- Crowley Environmental Services Named Exclusive Distributor For 40-Knot Pollution Control Vessel page: 44
- Atlantic Dry Dock Corp. Modifies Research Vessel page: 45
- Port Weller Dry Docks Awarded Contract To Build Self-Unloader For Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. page: 45
- Long Beach-Greater Los Angeles Section Of ASNE Discusses Union Oil's Tanker S/S Sansinena page: 46