Alfa-Laval Introduces Nirex Distiller For Smaller Vessels
Alfa-Laval, Inc.. Fort Lee, N.J., has introduced a new Nirex freshwater distiller designed to meet the needs of smaller vessels. Designated the -JWP-26-C, the unit is a smaller version of the -JWP-36-C series. The unit can be used on fishing vessels, work boats, supply boats and offshore rigs with small engines as well as vessels in excess of 2,000 dwt.
The JWP-26-C has a capacity range from 300 to 5,500 gpd, depending on the heating medium and cooling water temperatures. Distillers can be dimensioned to suit any jacket water temperature from 131- 194°F, and any sea water temperature required. The quantity of fresh water produced can be altered within each size by varying the number of plates in the heat exchanger assemblies.
Weighing no more than 1,140 pounds, the unit can be dismantled easily. This allows for the subassemblies to be hand carried by two persons into the engine room without making any alterations in the room.
The JWP-26-C can quickly be reassembled— just bolt it together, hook it up to water and electrical lines, and start it up with a push of a button.
The distiller comes with its own pumps, electric motors, control panel, salinometer and internal piping.
The distiller is designed to operate automatically under varying operating conditions. The freshwater salinity is monitored by a salinity indicating system with an automatic dump valve. The standard distiller delivers a constant salinity of no more than 1.5 ppm, what is said to be the lowest of any available on the market. On sensing an excessive salt content (2 ppm), the fresh water produced is automatically diverted to bilge by the dump valve.
Like all Alfa-Laval Nirex distillers, the JWP-26-C series features titanium plate heat exchangers which eliminate corrosion problems and allow for increasing capacity simply by installing additional plates in both the condenser and evaporator. To further eliminate corrosion, the distiller cover is pressed from stainless steel; nonferrous alternatives are also available.
After cleaning, normally required only once per year, the Nirex distiller delivers 100 percent capacity.
The "C" in the designation refers to the combined condenser cooling and ejector water system, a key feature of the JWP-26-C. This combined system lowers installation costs and increases reliability of the distiller.
According to Bill Huffman, Alfa-Laval product manager-Nirex, more than 50 units have been sold worldwide since May 1984, including 12 units installed on board French fishing trawlers.
Alfa-Laval is a worldwide group offering services to marine and land-based operators in more than 125 countries. A complete line of purifiers, plate heat exchangers, and energy-saving, reliable freshwater distillers is available.
For free literature and information on the JWP-26-C, Circle 75 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 1985 issue
- Houston Ship Repair Reactivates 40-Year-Old Hattiesburg Victory page: 5
- Cybernet Introduces Multi-Scan, High-Tech VHF-FM Radiotelephone page: 5
- Navy Announces Homeport Sites In Gulf Coast Area page: 5
- Hunt Associates And Gladding-Hearn Collaborate On Pilot Boat Design page: 6
- Johnson-Duramax Stuffing Boxes Make Packing Changes Easier page: 6
- Versatile FPSO Manifold System Eliminates Fluid Swivels page: 7
- Consolidation Of Chevron And Gulf Fleets Announced page: 7
- Murdock Engineering Introduces New Tension System Design page: 7
- Joseph Cuneo Elected Board Chairman & CEO Of J.J. Henry Co., Inc. page: 8
- Jeffboat Delivers River Towboat M/V Cletus To Luhr Brothers page: 8
- Reagan Nominates Navy's First Space And Warfare Systems Commander page: 8
- Total Transportation Systems Acquires Kenmark page: 8
- New Navigation System From Odin Electronics page: 8
- Free Brochure On Piston And Plunger Pumps From Cat Pumps page: 9
- Aluminum Boats, Inc. Delivers 'Abeer Nine' To Saudi Arabia page: 10
- Unique Controllers Operate Cargo Area HVAC System On New MPS page: 10
- Pfeiffer And Military Sealift Command To Receive AOTOS Awards page: 11
- Great Lakes International To Spend Over $30 Million On Dredge —Bids To Be Taken On Another page: 11
- Halter Delivers Rocket Booster Recovery Vessel 'Independence' page: 11
- Australia Plans To Build Diesel-Electric Submarines Of European Design page: 11
- Arnessen Offers Full-Color Brochure On Atlas-Danmark Freshwater Generators page: 11
- COAST GUARD USER TAXES: UNTIMELY AND UNWISE page: 12
- 'FUEL SAV-R —New Fuel Monitor From National Control Systems page: 12
- Wartsila Vasa 32 Engine In Demand For New Generation Drilling Rigs page: 12
- Wartsila-Normed Joint Venture To Manufacture Diesels In France page: 13
- General Electric To Supply Machinery Control System For Navy Destroyer Burke page: 14
- Racai Wins Contract From State Of Louisiana For Marine Simulator page: 14
- Unitor Announces Two N e w Services For Marine Refrigeration page: 15
- Pettit Paint Expands Antifoulings Market Base page: 15
- NASSCO Announces Three Key Executive Appointments page: 16
- OFFSHORE EUROPE 85 Exhibition & Conference page: 16
- INLAND WATERWAYS/ GREAT LAKES YARDS Review page: 18
- Omnipure Opens New Headquarters And Plant In Sugar Land, Texas page: 26
- Siess Will Chair NOIA's Pro-Leasing Task Force page: 26
- W i l l i am M. Lechler Joins Sumitomo Machinery Corp. page: 28
- Anderson Named President Of Raytheon Marine European Operations page: 28
- NMEA Annual Meeting To Be Held October 13-15 In Seattle page: 29
- Manitowoc Announces Six New Personnel Additions At Manitex Subsidiary page: 29
- Great Lakes Firm Offers Extensive Inventory Of Marine Equipment Spare Parts page: 30
- Cruise Yacht Ponce De Leon Now Being Built At Marine Fabricators For Florida Gulf Coast Corporation page: 30
- NICOR And Sonat Subsea Form Gulf Joint Venture page: 32
- Hydraulic Pump Offers Up To 21,300 PSI Pressure page: 32
- McDermott Elects B a r r ow To Board Of Directors page: 34
- D i l l i n g h am M a r i t i m e Forms N e w U n i t — V a n Dawark Named Executive VP page: 34
- Heale Named President Of Oceanroutes To Succeed Snideman page: 35
- N e w Positions For Three Managers Announced By Zapata Gulf Marine page: 35
- Hudson Joins North American Towing As Special Representative page: 36
- Oil Monitor/Separator Allows Operators To Meet MARPOL 7 3 / 7 8 Ruling page: 36
- Free Brochure On Newco Marine Valves Offered By Newman's page: 37
- Bailey Technical Center Opens In Beijing, China page: 37
- Wager Announces New Diesel Exhaust Meter page: 37
- Free 32-Page Full-Color Brochure Details Hagglunds Cargo Cranes page: 37
- Luxury Cruise Liner 'Holiday' Delivered By Aalborg Shipyard page: 38
- Unaflex Introduces 'Supreme' Tapered Expansion Joints page: 38
- Carrier Transicold Donates Air Conditioning Units To Cousteau Vessel page: 38
- Management Promotions For Rigdon, Dowie & Cox Announced By Zapata page: 39
- Energy-Saving Tanker 'Manitou' Delivered By Lindenau Shipyard page: 40
- Alfa-Laval Introduces Nirex Distiller For Smaller Vessels page: 40
- Tidewater Adopts $40-Million Capital Expenditure Budget For Fiscal 1986 page: 41
- WABCO Offers Free Brochure On HelmMaster® Control Systems page: 44
- John Crane Bulletin Describes New Compact Package Seals page: 44
- Hayward Expands Duplex Basket Strainer Line page: 44
- Mark Controls Expands SD Butterfly Control Valve Line page: 45
- Shipbuilding Standards Groups Seeking Participants page: 45
- Johnson-Duramax Bearings Offer Performance Advantages page: 51
- BMEP Balancer Used To Increase Fuel Efficiency In Diesels page: 54
- System For Renovating Floors Described In N e w Brochure page: 54